Notices

Pesky triggers

Old 05-07-2011, 12:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
like a thunder bacon punch!

Pesky triggers

So I've been focusing more on triggers here to see what it is that causes me to go running for the nearest gas station to pick up a 30pk. Before I would say it was everything. Sun came up, the grass is still green, and the day ends in "y" Then there were some obvious ones like a tv ad, a old drinking song comes on the radio, looking at an old picture from the "good old days" or just remembering back on them and that was usually enough.

Now I'm starting to hear about the little ones. Is it really true that lets say something like some buttwipe cuts me off in traffic and flips me the bird. That's enough to get me pissed off for a while but I can after a few minutes let that roll off my back and not think twice about it all day. Or lets say I get a bit of bad news. Nothing major but just enough to damper my spirits for a while but can let it go and go on about my day normally. And then all these minor stresses that most everyone goes through the day is enough to have the sub consciousness set off the "need booze" call that becomes almost all to unbearable? If that's true how do you deal with them? I mean this is just an unfortunate little part of life everyone has to bear. But if my sub consciousness is gonna take this little bit of stress and freak out on me and want to go drink how the hel does anyone stay sober?

If this topic doesn't make any sense sorry, my brain is still in a fog here.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think your original thinking was on target-- breathing is a trigger for the alcoholic.

That's why recovering from the inside out can inoculate us from urges and triggers. We can go anywhere and do anything because we just don't want to drink anymore.

Otherwise, I eventually lose. Pitched battles against urges is just going to wear me down.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At certain times I have no effective mental defense against the first drink--my defense, must, M U S T, come from a Power greater than myself. The dilemma for a man like me is, I have no idea what "certain times" look like, she leaves, she comes back, I have a job, I don't. I don't really care anymore what that Power is, but today I am clear that I have to seek it with the desperation of a drowning man.

Have you ever attended a meeting of Alcoholic's Anonymous?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Remember we deal with alcohol. It's cunning, baffling and powerful. It doesn't necessarily have to be some jerk cutting you off in traffic that triggers your drinking.

The guy cutting you off in traffic may be the excuse you use to drink, but taking that first drink is already in your mind, you are just waiting for an excuse. Most of the time that first drink has been implanted in your mind days, weeks, or even months ahead of time.

You have to be viligent every day. You have to be prepared and the only way to do that is to find a program that works for you.

Also on a side note, there have been alcoholics that find themselves in bars drinking when everything in life is going there way. An alcoholic can have the happiest time of his life and find himself drunk. Cunning! Baffling! Powerful!!!

You must find a program that works for you and triggers will be a non issue. You will know how to recognize a trigger and recognize trouble and deal with it before you pick up a drink.

As far as the beer ad or drinking song, do this. When I see a beer on tv, in a mug and dew glistening off the glass, I drink it. I follow it all the way to the bottom of the mug. Then I drink 12 more. Then I wake up with a hangover and anxiety and deppression. I do this all in my mind. Remembering that last hangover keeps me sober everytime.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I drank for all kinds of reasons, or for no reasons at all. But at some point, I realized I had turned to alcohol to cope with certain things--grief, rage, discomfort of any sort. These emotions are still triggers, but recovery is learning to deal with what life throws at us sober. And sometimes we don't deal with them very well. But we have to stay sober anyways.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
oak

I find it helpful to know what triggers me. It's easier for me to sit through the craving if I know the trigger. And I can be cautious about avoiding triggers if necessary and possible. Or I can just know I need more resources when triggered.
It will get easier.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
The guy cutting you off in traffic may be the excuse you use to drink, but taking that first drink is already in your mind, you are just waiting for an excuse. .
I was thinking the same thing.
Learning to deal with life's issues is different than using them as an outlet. There are many new feelings we find now that we're sober. Sometimes easy sometimes hard.
If a guy cutting me off has me upset I would take a breath and ask for the patience to understand his ignorance -or to let his ignorance pass. Not everyone is on the same spiritual wavelength. He may be struggling with an issue, as well, but not in the same time as me. Just saying.

By using excuses in real life we are just hurting ourselves. The guy who cut you off couldn't care less if you spend the next 3 days in a fall down pass out drunk spell.