Notices

first time here goes..

Old 05-06-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first time here goes..

hi..what can i say? drinkin wine and know i am binge drinker..went to counsellor 12 years ago for depression..back again...same thread comin thru..drink..nothin associated to both..i now have two gorgeous kids..my six yr old is suffering she says..how I asked..well read these books...(ordered by the way)
Old 05-06-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

will someone get back to me ? how long do u hav to wait..just askin soz
Old 05-06-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! There is lots of great information and support on this site, keep reading and posting. Good Luck, you can do this.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I quit drinking for good (finally) 17 months ago and my life is improving. I hope you find the support that I found here. THis is a great site.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Welcome! Which books did you get?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Welcome to SR There is wonderful support and great information to be had here and I am so glad that you are here with us!! That's a good step in the right direction. I'm with Bella, which books did you order? Always love hearing about new books...Keep coming back to read/or post, we'll be here for you...

-Jess
Old 05-06-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and are seeking support.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome justvee!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thankyou

thankyou for your kind messages.

books are claude steiner - games alcoholics play
claudia black - children of alcoholics - itwill never happen to me

my counsellor advised me. she is concerned about my 6 yr old - says my binge drinking is damaging him..but I am sure you have heard it before i am not too convinced...i dont ever fall about and never put him in danger..anyone else with kids?
Old 05-07-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! I too am new to the website and a binger. Sometimes I feel guilty even being a binger . . . I mean I've felt if I was a Real Alcoholic wouldn't I need to drink everyday? That is clearly a delusion of addiction, or perhaps I should call it a-dick-tion because I am a total Penis Head when I drink.

My father was the daily alcoholic. To this day I sincerely believe he cared more about booze than his family. I do not have children of my own, but have worked with them for years. Your son is young enough for you to build a better relationship, and you are still young enough to build a better life.

You are doing the right thing. Try to make everyday with your children good right now. Dealing with what has been done will come with time.

I am new to all this too, but I sincerely believe these things. We have to.

O, and I too sat hitting refresh waiting for replies on here! This is a great support. Replies will come.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its nearly the weekend

Thank you CatFry...your words are much appreciated. My brother is a binge drinker and his son is also...but I cant trace further back than that apart from my mothers brothers who were hardened drinkers. I was never around them. I dont drink every day so its a big shock when told 'your an alcoholic'.

Since joining I have tried to think before drinking. During the week I am fine but I know by Friday I head to shops for two bottles of wine! Its like I am on automatic pilot!

A day at a time...it will get less and less and my son will benefit.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome JustVee

Have you thought of face to face support as well? like AA, or SMART?

D
Old 05-11-2011, 12:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you found us.

You will find some great support and information here.

The people are just lovely (except me. Im cranky LOL )

L
Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Day 10

I have two kids aged 13 and 10. I'm ashamed to say I have drank all their lives until 8 days ago. They HATE it. I am not a nasty drunk - in fact I'm a really happy drunk and have a lot of fun with them right up until I have that one drink far too much. Which they know I will have even more that I do. We have talked about it - often. I have just never made the effort to try and change for them. On day 6 I told them I was done drinking for good and even though there aren't as many giggles yet, they are so so happy to have their mom around. Lets face it we aren't ourselves when we drink irrespective of whether we are happy or aggressive. Kids know.

Good luck and keep at it :-)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dirty Secret Details of a Sister Binger

I broke down and cried like a baby on Monday at my neighborhood AA meeting. The reason: the night before I downed an entire bottle of wine -- much like I've done for months, for years. Then Part II: I ripped through my refrigerator and ate a pound of turkey, TWO boxes of leftover Mother's Day cookies, and GAWD-KNOWS-WHAT ELSE!!???

It's frightening how by the time I get to the refrigerator part of the BINGING experience that I must be blacked out. Somehow I manage to get myself to bed. HOW can that be?

CHECK THIS OUT --

Because I'm newly married, (two years), I was SHOCKED when my husband reported this behavior to me after witnessing me drunk one night. THAT'S what scared me enough into going to AA. I knew if I didn't clean up, I'd lose my marriage.

It's a struggle. Today -- I'm 2-1/2 days sober. Tomorrow, I'll be 3-1/2 days sober. I hope. But a day or two from now, is when the evil you-know-what comes a-calling.

So Ladies and Gentlemen: You are my AA Group while I travel. Thank you for being there.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I enjoy reading your posts and fell sad when you are struggling with those demons
Old 05-12-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have kids, and I think it makes a HUGE difference to be a sober parent and not a drunk parent. It is like night and day. Just take it one day at a time, (say to yourself 'I just won't drink today') and you will start to see -- there is magic in sobriety.

Do it for yourself through doing it for your children. Let them facilitate the best gift you will every get.

I mean it --- sobriety is magic.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You are all making the right decision for yourselves and your children. I'm really proud of all of you.

Friday night is looming large. I keep thinking of how often I read on here the reference of alcoholism as a monster. I've felt that too. It is like there is a creature in me that isn't me hoping I slip up and let it out.

So weird.

I hope everyone has a monster-free weekend!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

justvee...I have two kids, one aged 15 and the other aged 7.
I used to think that my youngest didn't either know I drank so much, or that she didn't care.

It's been 22 days for me, and I can tell you, I know now how much my 7 year old knew about my drinking and how it affected me. She certainly never saw me falling down drunk, incoherent, neither did I feel I was putting her in danger. But emotionally, mentally and spiritually, I wasn't there for her. Not really. Drinking came above both my kids, no matter how much I try to convince myself that it didn't. Any kids of alcoholics will tell you - THEY KNOW and it makes them sad.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yup..it's a good thing you are doing.
My 5 kids are 12-18..and I was "gone" their entire lives until this year. Sometimes I get mad at myself, for all that I missed, you have so much to look forward to!
It makes me sad when the kids act surprised when I tell them I can do something with/for them..they aren't used to that still.
So go for it now!