Notices

12 Days Sober...Getting Harder?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 Days Sober...Getting Harder?

Hi,
I am a newbie who really needs help.
Due to binge eating and drinking (8 beers twice a week) I put on weight and decided to try a very restrictive diet which does not allow any alcohol. I was shocked to discover that I do not miss food at all, only alcohol. I am reading several books on recovery and spending lots of time on this wonderful website, but my cravings are getting harder to overcome. My thoughts seem to always return to how great it would be to have a drink. My wonderful husband is on this diet with me an I would hate to cheat and let him down, but if it weren't for that I am pretty sure I would have cracked already.
When oh when will these obsessive thoughts subside? I do not want to be a dry drunk full of stinking thinking. Will I ever enjoy life again?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Days 10-16 or so were the hardest for me. It does get easier.

I drank LOTS of hot tea. Every time I got a craving I would make a cup. That helped a lot because the cravings came in waves and I found that the process of making and drinking the tea helped me ride out the wave.

Sweets help also. Your body could be missing the sugar that's in alcohol.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think my obsessive thoughts stopped at about 3 weeks, but I needed to know that I would never drink again before that happened.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestion

I will try the tea. You were right on about cravings coming in waves. It reminds me a bit of labor pains... here then gone...
Old 05-06-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Taking care of my alcoholism first before I tackle
other issues was suggested in my early recovery.

Once I used the knowledge, tools, suggestions,
steps and principles of my AA program to help
me stay sober a day at a time then was I able to
use the same tools and knowledge to conquor
other issues like anxiety, relationships, food, sex,
and so on.

First Things First is a slogan you may hear often
as it is used quite often in situations like this.

With diets our bodies go thru a chemical imbalance
because its begin to lack vitamines and minerals
that help us feel better. The right nurishment to
make our nails hard or hair shines and healthy as
well as our muscles, skin and so on.

Alcohol takes alot of that good stuff out of us and
eating properly replenishes our bodies so we can
physically, emotionally feel better. Feed your body,
mind and soul with good stuff for a long lasting
healthy way of life in recovery.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

oooh, I know the 'wave'! Really knocked me for six, that one...I have to get up and get busy - unloading the dishwasher with a few bangs and crashes helps, lol.

Stick with it, 12 days is great. You are doing a great job.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Did you have certain days when you allowed yourself to drink? Maybe you could substitue a treat during those times while you're getting adjusted to your diet (milkshakes are great for reducing the cravings).

Some good vitamins (esp. B Complex) can be helpful. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

I like large glasses of water with lemon and ice cubes, or tea. I miss the clinkle, clinkle of the ice cubes in a cocktail. I don't miss all the weight I was putting on with that extra 500 empty calories of alcohol every night. How do you handle sleeplessness?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I quit drinking back in November - I had been running about 5km each day for almost a year. I didn't change my eating habits - but I find a eat more now than before. I have managed to go from 194lbs. to 171lbs. (I'm 6'0") just by cutting out the alcohol only. I have never been in such shape before - it is quite amazing that the extra 23lbs were due to wine.

When I was playing hockey varsity - my playing weight was 210lbs - so this new body feels really skinny - it's weird.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
like a thunder bacon punch!

For me personally the easiest time to quit drinking was this first 1-4 days. After that when I started feeling more like the human race was when the real challenge begun.
but yeah that alcohol will put the weight on quick. Especially if you like to eat junk food right before passing out for the night and spend the next day eating McDonald's.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That is so true! I tried diet after diet while drinking - trying to "count" my 800 beer calories so they would fit into my diet of choice. But like clockwork, food success for two ot three days, drink with my best friend to celebrate, and it's all over. Food binge cycle starts again. What's that old saying "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." I am only 38 years old, and I have been in great shape before while also drinking, but I am afraid that that ship has sailed and I have to decide if I want to trade health and physical attractiveness for some laughs on a bar stool twice a week.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Servant of God

I have no clue why but for anything I have ever quit, the 9-10 Month out period has been a real danger zone.

I would love to figure out why? Alcohol, tobacco, diets, they have all been the same.

Polar shifts? Medical explanation? Behavior patterns I'm sure. Anyone have any insight here? Maybe that's the longest I could hold out without a sound recovery in place?
Old 05-07-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think my obsessive thoughts stopped at about 3 weeks, but I needed to know that I would never drink again before that happened.
This x a million!