Notices

help,..9 days sober and craving a drink!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help,..9 days sober and craving a drink!

Hello everyone, I am new to SR and have made it 9 days without alcohol. I feel wonderful when I wake up each morning but I can't seem to shake my craving today. I stay at home 99 percent of the time caring for my chronically Ill child, and the feelings of being trapped at home and bored and lonely come on very strong at times. I am unable to attend the meetings I want to attend, because my son, who is 16, cannot be left home alone due to his medical condition. The depression that accompanies dealing with watching him struggle with his health on a daily basis and the loneliness that accompanies this can be extremely overwhelming emotionally.His diagnosis is ultimately terminal and that in itself can grip me with fear at times. I began to drink wine every night to escape the realities of the day, and no longer wanted to run away from the reality,...thus my new sobriety.Any advice and support would be greatly appreciated...need to stay out of self pity and depression...those two are certain triggers for me. Thank you,..and love and light to all
Old 05-06-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congrats on 9 days sober!
hang in there. you are going to end up feeling worse than you do now if you drink. call someone to chat, watch tv, read, do anything to distract yourself. for me, when i want a drink, if i focus on something else, the want for the drink usually goes away for a while. do something that makes you feel good, and something that requires you to focus alot on it.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lots of love and support to you. Congratulations on the 9 days of sobriety! It is hard just to see how GOOD those days really are if you are craving a drink.

Have you read: "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" by Allen Carr?

I just finished reading it and it helped me TREMENDOUSLY to get through those cravings of the first few weeks. (I am on day 12 of sobriety after a relapse from 10 years of being sober). Anyway, doing something like reading that book is a GREAT pasttime when you are at home, alone and needing something positive to focus on. I can't recommend that book enough. I just finished it this morning and just started re-reading it.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm very sorry to hear about your son's illness. I can imagine how very difficult it must be to deal with that. I wonder if there are any support groups for parents in your city. Some of the hospitals where I live offer such thing for families. If not, there might be something online that would help you to deal with your son's illness.

I also wonder if it's possible for you to get a caregiver to look after your son for one afternoon a week so that you could have a break?

But, the bottom line is that you will be better able to deal with this issue when you are sober.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gorpus View Post
congrats on 9 days sober!
hang in there. you are going to end up feeling worse than you do now if you drink. call someone to chat, watch tv, read, do anything to distract yourself. for me, when i want a drink, if i focus on something else, the want for the drink usually goes away for a while. do something that makes you feel good, and something that requires you to focus alot on it.
Totally agree. When you get cravings, get busy. It passes.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I just returned from the book store with plenty of reading material! Looked for Allen Carr book, however they did not have it unfortunately. I read his Easyway to stop Smoking book and it was an incredible tool for me. I do try and do yoga as much as possible and I also do daily guided meditations which do help with my stress levels. I have just been getting the random cravings on and off today.Thanks again for the support and advice,...so grateful for this site and for all of your support!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ray521--

Some practical advice: your body is cravin the sugar from alcohol, go buy a big bag of chocolate, m&m's, reeses, etc...

See if that helps,
Bryan