Notices

Antabuse

Old 05-06-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse

My friend Linda D. wants me to go on Antabuse - but, the thing is, if I really want to drink, I simply don't take the Antabuse > go figure!

Comments?

K out
Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been in a meeting where at least 80% of the people there were on Antabuse. One thing I noticed was their bitterness at medically not being able to drink. All of them said they would if they could (and some had tried to drink, despite taking the Antabuse that morning). The overwhelming feeling I got was that they were totally screwed up about having to take it, and they all had low self esteem and a negative view on life. I don't know about you, but that's not freedom, is it?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

I'm like Kelly though. Unless it's court mandated ( and tested ) the only way I could really see that being effective is for those "moment of weekness" in the evenings. Otherwise you just flush the damn thing and drink.

Now I can see it's effectiveness if you want to stop but have trouble with that "moment of weakness" so you take it in the mornings when you are sober and it helps prevent you from drinking later in the day.

During my divorce my Ex wife's lawyer tried to get me on it and my lawyer agreed to it until my Dr. told me to refuse. At the time I was only drinking one night a week and he felt like the risk of Antabuse was much higher than the risk of drinking one night a week.

It turns alcohol into a non deadly peanut allergy. Any foods cooked with any kind of alcohol will give you a reaction, rubbing alcohol absorbed through the skin can give you a reaction.

I don't see how taking antabuse is helping the psychological issue at all. It's forcing you not to drink rather than treating the mental issues. so do these people take Antabuse the rest of their lives ?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

Antabuse is effective when someone has a real desire to stay sober, but has been having issues with lapses. It is not for those that are ambivalent or aren't motivated to stay sober anyway. For me it was a great tool at a point when I had real difficulty with lapsing at weak moments, but had a desire to stay sober. If I were ambivalent, I wouldn't take it.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never knew of antabuse 20 yrs ago. Rehab and the
information, tools, suggestion, Faith, sponsor, meetings,
prayers, knowledge of recovery is what has kept me sober
since 8-11-90.

Working a program with steps and principles to guide me
is all I needed to stay sober for as long as I have.

No fluff or froofroo. Very generic and workable.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink Abusing Antabuse

Antabuse seems like most treatments: it is good for some, but not for everyone. It has been sold to me as a great way to not even have the option of drinking. Hopefully during this time I will clear my head. If doesn't work for me doesn't mean it can't work for someone else. Everyone is unique beyond recovery.

I started it today. There is a lot of info out there about it (works by blocking the enzyme in the liver needed to breakdown alcohol, etc). I've studied anatomy and physiology and pharmaceuticals (ha! no I hate pills, but have learned for my profession) so if anyone has questions I can try to answer.

Wish me luck!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was tired of the hangovers and making promises in the morning and then stopping on the way home from work in the afternoon and getting alcohol. I went to the nurse at work and asked for antibuse. I told her that I knew it wouldn't be enough to make me stop for good but while I was taking it I would find a program that worked for me. I chose AA about 3 weeks into taking the antibuse.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
I was tired of the hangovers and making promises in the morning and then stopping on the way home from work in the afternoon and getting alcohol. I went to the nurse at work and asked for antibuse. I told her that I knew it wouldn't be enough to make me stop for good but while I was taking it I would find a program that worked for me. I chose AA about 3 weeks into taking the antibuse.

Now that I can see as a good use of it. Might have helped me when I was making those same promises for the first 3 hours of every day. Although I assume you would have to detox first or the previous alcohol would make you sick ?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The medication label says to have had 12 hours without alcohol, most doctors recommend 24 hours so I would go for that. It is also a good idea to avoid foods cooked in alcohol (unless you are positive all the alcohol was cooked off), vinagers (like vinagerette salad dressings), and frostings (the alcohol in flavored-extracts can set you off, but it is cooked off in cookies, etc). I've read that a good way to tell if you are going to have a strong reaction is to swab your arm with alcohol 12 hours or so and see if you get a rash. If you do have a reaction then watch out for the face cleansers and moisturizers with alcohol. I know this sounds like a lot, but remember it is not permanent. Also, lots of people have no reactions to anything except actual booze. That being said, everyone has to avoid mouthwash and cold medicine with alcohol in it, obviously.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Enoy View Post
Now that I can see as a good use of it. Might have helped me when I was making those same promises for the first 3 hours of every day. Although I assume you would have to detox first or the previous alcohol would make you sick ?
The night before I had the equivolent of about 4 beers. I waited till the next afternoon on the way home to take it, then I took it in the mornings from that point on.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Pleas no that my above post should NEVER REPLACE a HEALTHCARE PROVIDER. Anyone thinking of going on antabuse must be followed by a Primary Care Provider like a medical doctor or a nurse practionar. It is serious business. All of that is just info I found googling.

I repeat:

ANYONE ON ANTABUSE MUST BE FOLLOWED BY A HEALTHCARE PROVIDER!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CatFry View Post
Pleas no that my above post should NEVER REPLACE a HEALTHCARE PROVIDER. Anyone thinking of going on antabuse must be followed by a Primary Care Provider like a medical doctor or a nurse practionar. It is serious business. All of that is just info I found googling.

I repeat:

ANYONE ON ANTABUSE MUST BE FOLLOWED BY A HEALTHCARE PROVIDER!!!
Agreed. I went to my nurse practitioner at work and we discussed how to use it and what to avoid and then following up with a program.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think if you are considering medications you should talk to a medical professional who is familiar with addictions and hear about all your choices. There are some medications that help with cravings, along with CBT that work very well.
SH
Old 05-07-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

CBT= Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? That is good stuff : ) It got me from drinking daily down to bingeing . . . which doesn't look impressive in writing but was a big step. Now I am on day 2 of antabuse to get over the social context of the drink. I had drunks at my house last night and stuck to rootbeer and gingerale thanks to the antabuse. Shockingly, the drunks were only slightly annoying to me.

Next month I need to go to my MD to get my Liver Function tests done, which is a good idea on antabuse. I find it hard to believe that this medication would hurt my liver any more than my booze did, but it is goos to monitor.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drank a couple of glasses of wine after two weeks of 250ml of daily Antabuse. Had flushing face, but no serious reaction. Wonder if I am one of the rare few or I need to take a larger dose?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have been discussing with my counsellor the possibility of taking Antabuse in a bid to deter me from relapsing.

On one hand I would like to try anything that will discourage me from drinking because I'm finding this hard on willpower alone. On the other hand I agree that it does not offer real 'freedom'. I want to have the power to say no because I don't want to drink and not because I fear the repercussions of drinking while on Antabuse.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

That would be a question to ask your Dr, KitazawaSteve.

D
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I personally don't agree with Antabuse. Like other people have said it is pretty counter productive. If you don't want to drink. Don't drink. I know it's easier said than done but it is possible. Why people voluntarily choose to take it is beyond me. You're essentially just leaning on another chemical to stop you taking another chemical. Irony.

Natom.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My father, who died a Skid Road drunk, blamed his divorce on my mother putting Antabuse in his morning glass of milk. Nothing like denial, Dad!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Antabuse

I'M so sorry for jumping in im new to this. i just registered i need help
i drank a lot: average 12 beers every other night (functionally)
i am now in a DUI class and have come to terms with the fact that i'm an alcoholic. I hate it, it's ruining my life, i dont know how i made it this far.
On average twice a month ill binge and dring 3 to 4 12-packs in a night.
i seem to hate myself everytime i drink...but a day later its like i forget why i hate it.
i got started on Antabuse 2 weeks ago, and was so relieved...no more fighting with myself...no more decision making...no more arguing with the smart me...just cant do it...
1 week later i had to do it...test it out...its a good thing to try right? Even my doc said go ahead try it...the results would strengthen my resolve by negative feedback.

Guess what...i did and it doesnt work...im still taking my antabuse, yet i can drink 7-9 beers with only a bad hangpver the next day. (Hangover never stopped me before)

Im lost...i want sobriety i do...but i seem to be my own worst enemy..ive never missed a dose (and im on 500mg, heaviest dose)

i even take it the morning after with no noticeable effect.

Good news my doc did say there are other meds that reduce craving and can be more effective..i think ill try them.

Im not just trying to find a pill, but i cant explain how i could just keep talking myself into drinking...im desperate..i spend my life 1/2 drunk 1/2 hating myself for being drunk...im miserable