Notices

Drinking Dream debate

Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Dream debate

Had a question and answer period - one patient said that drinking dreams are NOT relapse behaviour.

I begged to differ.

ODAAT
Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What does that mean? That because you dream about it you're more prone to relapse?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drinking Dream

The answer the instructor gave was that, if you have a drinking dream, you are in "relapse mode", which, to answer your question, does, yes, mean that you are more likely to relapse.

It was a good session,

Kelly
Old 05-05-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Perhaps it depends on the dream. I had three vivid drinking dreams...well, in one I was buying beer, in two I was drinking. The remorse I felt when I woke up was strong. I also had one dream where I was taking the last couple of swallows out of a pint. In the dream I remember thinking, I'm not supposed to be drinking...and then announcing, "It OK, its only a dream."

Those two words--it's OK--could be considered relapse behavior because most, if not all, of my excesses started with that phrase. It's OK, no one will know...It's OK, it is only this one time...It's OK, everyone else does it...It's OK, I don't have a problem.

But I did.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I put too much weight into my dreams I would believe the end of times was nigh and that I was a Justin Bieber fan. I've had drinking nightmares periodically but don't put too much weight in it.
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Relapse behavior? How about the unconscious mind replaying a conditioned state? I had drinking/using dreams every night for the first month, at least weekly for the rest of the first year, and still have an occasional dream. I haven't had a drink (or come close to having a drink) in more than 8 1/2 years.

I've been dreaming lately of nursing babies. I had a complete hysterectomy fifteen years ago. Should I ask my husband to start using condoms?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

If that's true than I'm in big trouble.

I'm 17'ish months sober, in AA and worked all 12 steps, and I also did 4 months of outpatient therapy.

I still get drinking dreams, but I think it's just my subconscience working things out, after all, I went to bed either drunk or high (or both) for 15'ish years.

My sleep is still adjusting to being sober too

Kjell~
Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KellyEurope View Post
Had a question and answer period - one patient said that drinking dreams are NOT relapse behaviour.

I begged to differ.

ODAAT
The answer the instructor gave was that, if you have a drinking dream, you are in "relapse mode", which, to answer your question, does, yes, mean that you are more likely to relapse.

It was a good session,

Kelly
I don't believe it is "relapse behavior" or being "in relapse mode" - I prefer not to look at it that way.

I suspect your rehab facility is heavily influenced by 12-Step programs, so I will use their lingo. People in AA often talk of "my alcoholic" - the part of them that wants to drink again.

To me, a drinking dream means that "my alcoholic" is starving, and slowly but surely, DYING. It means that it has become so weak and utterly pathetic that it knows it can no longer get me to drink, and so has to dream about it.

I usually don't recall my dreams, but if I had one of these drinking dreams, I would wake up smiling.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hmmm, the only drinking dream I've had since I quit--will be 3 months next Tues--is a one in which I was dumping beers down the kitchen sink
Old 05-05-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It was a good session,

Kelly
Well crap. I have drinking dreams. What was his suggestion to avoid relapse?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dreaming is your mind's way of working things out. I don't believe that if I have a drinking dream that I'm more likely to relapse, it's just my mind hashing over old crap.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What was his suggestion to avoid relapse?
Easy. Just don't go to sleep!

Seriously though, my dreams were more like nightmares—I was bummed at myself for drinking while still in the dream. So I considered that a positive sign. But whatever—I'd put more stock in how you feel after the dream. If your reaction when you wake is, "Whew, that was just a dream," it sure wouldn't seem like relapse mode to me....

Just my two cents—and worth every penny!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Might be useful to consider the context in which the instructor made his/her comment.

Also, might be useful to consider frequency and length of sobriety...

*At 20-years sober, someone who has one drinking dream a week should probably be worried.

*A 2-week sobers, someone who has had two drinking dreams is probably below average.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmmmm.....I havent had a drinking dream in soooooo
long. I have had numerous sober dream tho where others
are drinking and may offer and I strongly say no and go
into a spill why its not good for me or begin telling them
about my recovery or something along the lines of recovery.

I wake up and am thankful and grateful that the AA way of
life is strong in my life as it is still keeping me sober today.

Id say, if I did have a drinking dream now at 20 yrs sober
and I came close to drinking then for me that would mean
im not working my program enough in my life at that time.
I might be slacking or pre-occupied with other issues or possibly
its been put on the back burner for the moment. Then a whole
bunch of other things begin to bother me or begin to happen
that i didnt expect them to.

It mean either get busy living recovery again or begin dying. And I
surely dont want to die a drunk.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Kelly E., I guess it Depends on whoever is telling you what. I have heard that drinking dreams are a GOOD sign-your'e taking recovery seriously. I had one last week & I've been clean/sober for 2 1/2 years. Just my two cents.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I think people need to stay strong to their path of recovery. Take things slow and remember the danger of drinking / using is always lurking.

Dreams are dreams. I think to suggest having a drinking dream means we are more in danger of drinking/ using is ridiculous. I wouldn't normally write that, but c'mon. Really!? We still control what we do. We could drink without the dreams, and dream without actually drinking. I think they have nothing to do with each other.

IMHO.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So do all those dreams I have about my teeth falling out mean I'm about to have some major dental work?

There's no evidence that our dreams are predictive of anything. I would think that a recovery professional would avoid wandering into such an area and frightening newly sober people into over-analyzing their subconscious.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
So do all those dreams I have about my teeth falling out mean I'm about to have some major dental work?

There's no evidence that our dreams are predictive of anything. I would think that a recovery professional would avoid wandering into such an area and frightening newly sober people into over-analyzing their subconscious.
FUNNY you should mention that! I was looking at some dream interpretation site & THEY SAID that falling teeth dreams are about trying to get rid of something in your life that you know you should get rid of. (!)
Trippy. huh?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Dreams raise our consciousness -telling you something. Dreaming about different things means different things. It just depends.
Dreaming about alcohol is most likely not encouraging you to drink but it may represent a need to feel better or get better it can also mean you are looking for pleasure or escape. Both of these reasons can be linked to recovery it depends on the circumstances in the dream and how you feel in the dream. It can also mean other things surrounding your life. Even 'normal' people dream about drinking...it is more concerning being an alcoholic but I do not believe that a drinking dream is linked to relapse.
But that's my opinion!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i have had alot of drinking dreams since ive gotten sober. im still in the beginning of getting sober.. but i dont feel like im close to relapse at all. most of my drinking dreams are that i drink a half a pint, and then feel really bad about it and start crying or something. i dunno i dont think its a bad thing. i just feel like its my subconcious mind trying to process everything.