Notices

Struggling badly but still making it

Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi Congrats on your 15 days!! Sounds like life sure is crazy right now for you but you are staying strong despite these things which is a huge accomplishment indeed. Learning to deal with life in a postive way, problems and all, instead of destructively tests our strength for sure but you are doing great. Keep it up Rooting for ya!

-Jess
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi CFP-

It's times like these when I'm so grateful I have the fellowship of AA (not to mention the steps).

AA is there and always will be for folks just like us.

Kjell~
Old 05-05-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I was never a good test-taker. I think it took four tries before I initially passed the test to get my driver's license, for example.

Now I do everything I can not to put myself in that position where I test myself with alcohol. Part of that means getting help for the alcoholism because I've failed enough of those tests to know that I can't do this on my own. I get that help in AA and it takes so much of the fighting out of the equation for me.

Much love.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was surprised too by how my life had become completely dominated by alcohol.

But, you got through it, and the next time it will be a bit easier. There's no way around it, but to deal with the feelings and that is something we have to figure out how to do.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Like Anna said, it really does get easier..... it's a process and we gain strength step by step. When I first got sober, I faced possibly losing my house (I'm a single mom and my youngest was about to enter her senior year in high school). I know the kind of stress that makes you want curl up in a ball and disappear.

Something that helped me a lot was to think about what I had to be grateful for. I had enough to eat, my daughter was healthy, I was sober....... etc. It helped put things in perspective. Just reading some of the posts here made me realize I didn't have it so bad after all.

You had a close call, but your sane mind won out - so give yourself a BIG hug. I'm sure you're glad that you didn't give in- who wants to look at their problems with a hangover? Excellent post.......
Old 05-05-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So your wife may have to change jobs and you might need to move. That means you have to sell your home in a depressed market and have your son change schools during high school.

How is adding alcohol to the mix going to help you deal with these issues?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job thinking it through, cfp, and pouring out those bottles!