MAY 5 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

I have much more to be grateful for than I realize. Too often I don’t remember to give thought to all the things in my life that I could enjoy and appreciate.

Perhaps I don’t take time for this important meditation because I’m too preoccupied with my woes. I allow my mind to keep filled with grievances, and the more I think of them, the bigger they loom. Instead of surrendering to God and His goodness, I let myself be controlled by the negative thinking into which my thoughts are pat to stray unless I guide them firmly into brighter paths.

TODAY’S REMINDER

A period of meditation, every day, is necessary to spiritual development. I control these “thinking times.” If I meditate on what is good in my life, it will increase day by day and crowd out the self-pity and resentment over what I lack and what is hurting me. Suddenly I will find myself able to use God’s help in managing my life in order and serenity.

“God has given us the faculties by which we are able to bear what comes to pass without being crushed or depressed thereby. Why then do we sit and moan and groan, blind to the Giver, making no acknowledgment to Him, but giving ourselves to complaints?” (Epictetus)