Notices

hi

Old 05-04-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi

I've admitted I have a problem with alcohol and been to several trips to the ER, done IOP and attend SMART meetings. But I messed up big time and am now hungover and have missed 3 days of work. I'm not sure what I'm looking for just some friends who can understand what I am going through. I think I am doing well but always find myself back. I had a few months sobriety and am now kicking myself for being here.

Thansks for the ear, these boards really help.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Sparks145

I always find if I relapse I need to add more to what I've been doing.
Have you thought of adding anything to the SMART?

D
Old 05-04-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you think you are powerless over alcohol? Or do you think you just haven't discovered the right combination of willpower-based tools to stay sober?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I'm often asked about my "plan". I did go to AA but I find SMART more to my liking.

I have had 6 months sober in the past, but I always tend to think I can control it and this time will be different. Lurk a ton on these boards so posting is a good start.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sparks, sometimes we just have to prove to ourselves that we can't touch the stuff. It took me a very long time to admit I had no control - ever. I almost died proving it to myself. Every attempt I made at controlling it resulted in misery and chaos in my life - such as missing work - so I completely understand how you feel.

Keep talking to us and reading - this place saved me because of all the helpful & encouraging things I read here. Also, not feeling alone anymore was huge. You can do this!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Sparks, so glad you are here with us. SR has been a tremendous, invaluable support for me in my recovery. Keep posting as you are comfortable and do lots of reading, we're here for you!

-Jess
Old 05-04-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Sparks - welcome! Glad you decided to post - it made a big difference for me once I really got involved here.

I'd bet almost all of us know what you're going through with the missed work, feeling sick, etc..... plus the idea that "this time it's going to be different." I went back to drinking after many years of sobriety, thinking I could moderate, and it took years to get sober again. In the end, my drinking had gotten worse, not better.

No matter what our history, today is a new day.......
Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sparks, i can relate. I recently relapsed and trying to start over. It's tough but we have to keep trying. Try to focus on the positive and any day sober is a victory. Take some vitamins and try to eat well. Maybe some exercise also. Take care and God Bless.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sparks, glad you're here. Lurking is nice but posting gets it off your chest. Welcome.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

SR saved my life. Keep reading and posting. ...and welcome!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your kind words and support. Today is my new day one! Spent last night at a neighbors house who know of my problem. They were so helpful taking my mind off things and even went to my house to make sure all the alcohol was poured out. Not that the one beer left was much.

Didn't sleep hardly at all and have a bad stomach today. Came clean with my boss as to why I wasn't at work. He knows of my issues. He was very understanding. I figured it as best to tell the truth rather than another lie.

With all this support I am going to lick this once and for all.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Telling your boss took guts and courage, and I really admire you for it. People would rather know the truth and that we're trying to address our problems.... I'm sure that's a load off your mind!

Hang in there today and remember that the minutes we stay sober add up.... get lots of vitamins (esp. B vitamins) and grab yourself some yummy snacks..... it really helps in the beginning to not let ourselves get too hungry.

It really does get better.....:ghug3