Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

just a few drinks now makes me feel more drunk than ever-do you lose your tolerance?

Notices

just a few drinks now makes me feel more drunk than ever-do you lose your tolerance?

Old 05-04-2011, 01:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi everyone wonderful here!!

what a great support system here on this site!

i have been on & off again with my drinking. mostly i have been unsure that i really have a problem (denial...).

anyhow, just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing as i am right now...

i've gone to some AA meetings...i KNOW that alcohol causes extreme problems in my life, yet i still want to do it...why??? who knows, i am obviously in need of help.

so tonight i though i would just try a drink and see how i felt. man, after a few i feel so messed up. it's like i was drinking for the first time. my tolerance is pretty high i would say as i can usually go all night with drinks and shots - way more than any of my girlfriends, but tonight just a few drinks put me over the top. it's been happening like that a lot lately. just wondering if that is part of it (loosing the tolerance level) and i'm just not willing to see it....
Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took less and less alcohol to affect me by the end, too.

In my case I believe my liver was simply not working as it should, and was not processing alcohol effectively.

I'm not diagnosing you. Whether that's the case for you, only your Dr could say for sure....

but whenever a small amount of alcohol affects you disproportionately, especially if it happens regularly, I think common sense should tell you you need to redouble your efforts to quit.

See your Dr.

D
Old 05-04-2011, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks Dee...you've had some great insight on another thread i was on as well. i don't know why i keep thinking if i test it, i will have a different outcome...i guess that is the definition of insanity...

i've been trying to modearate myself but i always end up walking sideways. the last few weeks i would say, in the morning i feel so unsteady. like my hands are nervous...shakey - i have to shake it off for hours as i work on a computer all day. i never noticed that before and i wonder if it has anything to do with the drinking the night before...

not looking for a dr. here, just wondering if others experienced the same. everything i read seems so outrageous - i don't black out & find myself in strange place and i don't hallucinate...i don't know, how long does it take to experience withdrawl symptoms? i can't imagine i've given myself enough time to withdrawl....are there any other less obvious signs?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by jstar View Post
not looking for a dr. here, just wondering if others experienced the same. everything i read seems so outrageous - i don't black out & find myself in strange place and i don't hallucinate...i don't know, how long does it take to experience withdrawl symptoms? i can't imagine i've given myself enough time to withdrawl....are there any other less obvious signs?
You may be selectively reading. I know I did. When I first started reading here (years ago, literally) all I read were end stage alcoholics with the DT's. When I finally wanted to sober up (beginning say a year ago although I've only been sober for 8 mos) I finally started reading everything and seeing that most people were like me and you. Holding it together on the surface, withdrawals just like bad hangovers etc.

It's important to realize that this doesn't mean you have a 'ways to go' before you need to stop drinking. It's sick to me now that I used to think like that. I figured I'd quit eventually but I didn't need to yet. This all comes back to my massive misconception that recovery was punishment for those who couldn't handle drinking. That I had a few more months or years of 'treats'. Living the high life :rotfxko

It was ludicrous. Sober life is a MILLION times more enjoyable, fun, fulfilling etc. And when I read people write that I'd think they were just brainwashed because they found Jesus in AA. Well, that's not true for me either (No AA and no Jesus). Sober life is better. It just is.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I wouldn't keep messing with seeing what results I get drinking less..you gave it your best shot. It will kick your @ss in the end..I can't tell you how much better I feel daily by NOT drinking at all. It was only weird the first 3 weeks..after that it just got better and better..I am in my seventh month now and never felt better in my life..and I gave it my all for over 30 years. If I can do it..you can do it!!! Glad you are here..Off to work I go!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jstar

don't worry about the things you haven't experienced...blacking out, waking up in strange rooms, and hallucinating are all horrible experiences I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I think you're better off concentrating on the problems you admit to having:

on & off again with drinking...mostly unsure if you really have a problem...low tolerance...feel unsteady...hands are shaking...

any one of the things you are experiencing is a sensible reason to quit....put them all together and there's enough of case there for some kind of action, yeah?

D
Old 05-04-2011, 11:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i actually never really thought of seeing a dr about this....maybe i will just to see.

i like to see how things play out - i over-research everything too, which is probably how i ended up here...i mean i can make like twenty different kinds of martini's...that is talent right? lol

i did take myself to an assesment a few months ago, to see if i needed to go into rehab/detox. they said yes, but i kinda felt like they just wanted my insurance money and no matter what i had answered in my questions, they would have told me i needed their program. OR...maybe i was just being paranoid. at either way, i had way too much going on with work & my kids' lives that there was no way i could handle 4-6 days in a detox place...

trying to take the step to quit the drink for good...just makes me think about it all day long! every second i am thinking about it. i didn't usually think about it so much, but now that i've entertained the idea of quitting and gone to some AA meetings, it's like i can't stop thinking about it...

btw...totally love this site here - thank you SR - i am really getting a lot out of coming on here...reading & posting....
Old 05-05-2011, 05:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi jstar!

There are a number of threads here that talk about the concept of the addiction spiraling faster when we start trying to quit...I know that happened to me. I am sure I read somewhere the biomedical explanation of why it happens.

You don't need rehab to get sober but you do need to commit to sobriety. Shaky hands in the morning is a sign of withdrawal...you should talk to your doctor and you should quadruple your efforts to quit. If AA isn't your thing look at other programs.

Life is infinitely better when you don't poison yourself daily...trust me on this one
Old 05-05-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Hi jstar!

You don't need rehab to get sober but you do need to commit to sobriety. Shaky hands in the morning is a sign of withdrawal...you should talk to your doctor and you should quadruple your efforts to quit. If AA isn't your thing look at other programs.

Life is infinitely better when you don't poison yourself daily...trust me on this one
Jstar. I could not agree more with what is written here.

The thing that helped me the "most" was , Telling myself that alcohol is poison , like drain cleaner or paint thinners.

La femme is right. Life IS so much better when you dont poison yourself daily

L
Old 05-05-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, shaky hands in the morning is a sign of alcohol withdrawl. When that started happening with me, I kept telling myself it was from too much coffee or whatever else my mind could come up with. You see, denial is a huge part of the disease of alcoholism. Your mind messes with you. And, alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will get worse unless you stop. I wish I had stopped when my I noticed my hands were shaking, but I let things get worse.

Also, the way to stop the obsessive thoughts, is to stop drinking.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think maybe your body is trying to tell you something. I have had really bad situations with shakes, anxiety, lightheadedness, heart palps, etc...I used to run a business and had to sign checks. I could barely even get my hand on the line, muchless, sign my name legibally.
I remember going to the dr. once because i felt so bad but have no idea what the outcome was...I can't remember. LOL I was a mess for a time. The worse I felt the more I drank...the more I drank, the worse I felt...then I'd cut back for half a day and start over...viscious cycle, I know. I am SO glad I don't have to worry about physical aspects of what drinking was doing to me. I was obssessed and consumed by all these terrible thoughts and my life, my family's life suffered. Its over now...I'm free!!

As far as the denial...that's completely up to you. No one can tell you that you have a problem. You need to open your heart and mid to what is really going on with yourself and be honest and truthful with yourself first. The rest will follow.....
I ""KNEW"" I had a problem. There was no denying that I drank way tooo much and caused hearache in my family and within my own head. It was just a matter of me coming to terms with me that it was time to stop.

I recently went to the dr. for a sinus infection and had blood drawn just because I'm getting older. Not sure how I managed it but my cholesterals and sugars are perfect. So much changes when you quit. Its' awesome.