Notices
View Poll Results: Have you ever lied about your sober/clean time?
YES - In Real Life or in AA/NA
16.84%
YES - On Sober Recovery
1.05%
YES - In Real Life / (AA/NA) AND on SR
4.21%
NO - I've never liead about my clean/sober time
77.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever lied about your sober/clean time?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have you ever lied about your sober/clean time?

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I thought when I saw the title [ARE YOU DRINKING (in secret)] you might be referring to posters here who were still drinking and saying they were sober, because every once and awhile I read a post and wonder.

Of course the way my autocorrexct works people probably thinlk I'm frequently smashed
LaFemme gave me a great idea... so here it is:
"Have you ever lied about your sober/clean time?"
Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I may have lied about how much i drank, who i drank with or even where i was drinking but lying about sober time is just lying to myself.

each time i relapsed in the past sooner or later people accepted my drinkng again, so i figure why lye about it, after all im doing this for me.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes. I'd usually say I had a couple days more than I really did. I'd never collect chips or tags for time I didn't actually have though. It's hard when you're first coming back. You feel like an idiot.

But being honest is MUCH more effective if you ask me.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SoberDreams

I lied to my family about it, but never AA. I am sure this is a painful question to many in here. What are we to learn or gain from answering it?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

nope.

I never thought much about clean time until I finally got clean and joined the fellowship. Once clean, I had no reason to lie about it because I was too grateful for what I did have.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Talking Some are sicker than others.

Some are sicker than others. I was in NA for 6 or so months and I was heavy into service and was really all about the social thing and not my recovery so I was at an event and I was hanging out with who else but a newcomer hottie and he offered and I didn't even think twice. The sickest part is I was cooking at this event and I went back and finished out the day loaded and all.

In 10 days I will have 7 years.

That is now a part of my story, and it shows me how powerful this disease can be. It also shows me a lot about ego.

Some people have judged that story and have said, OMG how could anyone do that, well all I can say is

People who judge don't matter
People who matter don't judge

Last edited by newby1961; 05-03-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling what else lol
Old 05-03-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No reason to lie for me, if I wanted to drink I'd still be drinking. It's kind of like cheating in golf when you are playing by yourself. There is no real point, because you know the real score and you are the only one who cares. If I was still drinking I wouldn't be hanging around recovery websites or meetings, I'd be at the bar or getting ready for my impending divorce.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoberDreams

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
No reason to lie for me, if I wanted to drink I'd still be drinking. It's kind of like cheating in golf when you are playing by yourself. There is no real point, because you know the real score and you are the only one who cares. If I was still drinking I wouldn't be hanging around recovery websites or meetings, I'd be at the bar or getting ready for my impending divorce.
What self strength and control you have! I admire that. To wake up one day and say you didn't want to drink anymore. Sadly, some are so sick they must truly fall to the bottom to ever hope to build their way back up. Everyone comes to recovery in their own way I suppose. Believe it or not there are many who want to drink, but struggle not to, by going to meetings and hanging around recovery sites.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The first time I relapsed in aa I was so scared of being judged by others, that I just got to know, I decided to try and get sober on my own for 30 days so that I wouldn't have to introduce myself as a person in their first 30 days again.

Of all the mistakes I have made in aa that was the worst. I ended up going thru 45 days of on and off bindging and detoxing. I felt like I was loosing my mind, about to go insane, and just wanted to die. I came back in begging for help, anouncing that I was at day one. It was such a releif. That was one year ago. And in that one year the longest sober time i've had was 5 1/2 months. I went to a meeting 2 days ago, and prowdly anounced being at day one. I sincearly hope that no one else makes the mistake that I did, by letting your fear of judgements from others, get in the way of receiving the help that they want to give.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Bizarre...even though my "no" vote is truthful, it feels somehow disingenuous given I lied about anything and everything through the couse of my addiction. Must not have enough sober/recovery time yet.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great thread JBC...at first I did. I would drink but "not count" it because I was out of town or it was extinuating circumstances (bad day etc) Stupid thinking.

My question is: AA tells us its "One day at a time" If that is the case then was is there so my emphasis on how many days/months/years sober we are?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd guess those that once lied mostly cleaned it up. Or they're too new for the lie to have caught up with them yet and need to get honest.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I may not have been honest in other things in my
life for years, however by remaining honest with my
sobriety date 8-11-90, some 20 years later it has
given me the reward of an Honest, Happy, Free life
today that is one AWESOME gift from the Man upstairs.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seth84 View Post
I lied to my family about it, but never AA. I am sure this is a painful question to many in here. What are we to learn or gain from answering it?
Perhaps if enough people vote, how common or not this is. Some believe lying is at the heart of the problem itself.

Lying about sober time might pale in comparison to some of the other lies, but perhaps "getting honest" about this is a good indicator of when people begin to heal? I don't know - I'm interested in other's views on this.

I've seen this done, but I personally would literally drop off the map if I was back at it, including AA and SR.

If my drunk text messages and e-mails are anything to go by, if I started drinking again and posted on here UTI, I would probably get kicked off within the hour. :-)
Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dfw

I honestly don't see the point in lying to anyone close to you about your recovery. It's one thing to not know exactly and approximate sober time, it's another thing entirely to flat out exaggerate.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
Great thread JBC...at first I did. I would drink but "not count" it because I was out of town or it was extinuating circumstances (bad day etc) Stupid thinking.

My question is: AA tells us its "One day at a time" If that is the case then was is there so my emphasis on how many days/months/years sober we are?
I've thought about this myself, having seen many "kings/queens of the 30 day chip". Endless relapse/retread cycles. Those chips can eventually become lead weights dragging you down.

I think in part there is an over-emphasis because some people may like to use "time" as status.

I came to the decision that I would not emphasize it anymore. I don't pick up "chips" anymore, and I didn't register my "sober date" on here or in AA.

I do have it written down somewhere, but I have to use a "sobriety calculator" if someone asks how long it has been.

I used to keep track of "time," but in hindsight I think that was only because I still, on some level, reserved the option of "relapses" - before it sunk in and I knew in my bones that I would never drink again, under any circumstances.

I have now removed that option, and I am pristinely confident that I will never drink again. If I will never drink again, why count time since my last drunk?

As someone else pointed out to me, only prisoners count time until their freedom. I am already free.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seth84 View Post
What self strength and control you have! I admire that. To wake up one day and say you didn't want to drink anymore. Sadly, some are so sick they must truly fall to the bottom to ever hope to build their way back up. Everyone comes to recovery in their own way I suppose. Believe it or not there are many who want to drink, but struggle not to, by going to meetings and hanging around recovery sites.
I didn't say it was easy, and this thread is about lieing about your progress. If you are lieing, the only one you are affecting is yourself. If you are on a recovery forum lieing or at a meeting lieing....why?

Now if you are at this forum and you are drinking and you are letting people know you are having problems quitting or you are relapsing continuously or if you are in meetings and you are honest about you drinking or wanting to drink I don't have a problem with that.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lying is something I detest. That being said, it's exactly what I became while drinking. A LIAR! Who was I lying to? Mainly myself. Others surely knew I was drinking. Since I got sober, I respect myself again, have my morals back in place.

So, to answer your question John, NO, I have never lied about my sober time.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For me, there is no point in lying... it is what it is... and if I did it would only be hurting myself. Interesting poll... I do know people in real life that have lied quite a few times.... I am not one of them.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nope, but I don't judge others for doing it. It is their recovery and not mine.