Stress and the Body

Old 05-03-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stress and the Body

A Cautionary tale...

So months of months of my anxiety, sadness, tears and stress over the RABF, my job, life, came to a head physically the other day.

Even though I felt "OK" mentally and emotionally, I almost passed out at work the other day. Why? Because I haven't been eating correctly for some time now and I am anemic. I have always been but usually can manage it carefully with the right diet and rest. I hadn't been. Too much on my mind for months now. I was so low on iron that day, my gums were white.

I went home, took loads of iron, slept. Then I realized that I owe it to myself to take care of ME on all levels. My body told me so. So I am committed to sleeping better, relaxing more and keeping my mind free from drama.

Whenever someone said 'take care of you' to my posts, I didn't quite get it. But now I do. I was taking care of my 'mind' but the connection with our bodies is very real. I ran it too the ground almost literally.

In a way I am thankful this happened because I probably would have kept on thinking I was doing great but I see now that I wasn't. I was telling myself I was. My body told me otherwise.

I am now upping my iron intake and I can actually think clearer. Interestingly, I am not nearly as depressed or anxious as I've been, my body needed to be treated better and the brain fog cleared. It happened literally overnight.

So eat your spinach boys and girls.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Absolutely Babyblue... take care of yourself, not only emotionally but physically as well! It is so important to our overall health and happiness!

I know that a few years back I was "overweight", not dramatically but enough that I wasn't happy with myself and had a horrible body image. Finally after years of just being upset with myself that I wasn't magically losing weight just by thinking about it... I did some research and started actually eating RIGHT (and proportionately) and started to do a lot more walking, when my schedule allowed for it. The weight started to come off slowly and I suddenly realized that I wasn't having nearly as much back pain as I used to have...

Sometimes we just have to smack ourselves in the head before we wake up and realize that our happiness rests in our OWN hands... and it's only up to us to do something about it.

I'm glad you finally realized that your own health has to be no. 1 to you, I'm just sorry you had to find out the hard way.

I hope that things are smoothing themselves out with your relationship and that you may finally be able to find peace and happiness together.

Hugs, T
Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sometime, if you just listen to your body, it will tell you to slow down, otherwise it will stop for you. I continue to learn that for myself.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((BabyBlue))) - yeah, I have a problem with the "take care of yourself" issue in myself, but I'm working on it. Glad you are taking better care of yourself.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-03-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Always take care of yourself first!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just last week I dropped a VERY HEAVY box on my foot and broke my toe!
I was getting anxious with work and on top of the divorce, I just was not IN my body at the time.
I have broken my toe, a bone in my foot, hurt my back and got into a big fender bender...well, fender torn off my car, actually, all when stressed and not being in my body.
Once again, the body will slow us down if we cannot slow down and be aware and take it slow.

Good reminder.
Thanks!!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a surgery scheduled for the 18th.
(Oops..He wasnt drinking the night he crashed into me)

Anyways...Enough of my catty remarks...lol

I thought I was doing good, trying to eat better, lots of water.

The surgeon advised me to put it off for awhile.
He said my body was under too much stress.
Had to go to another doctor for something else and he told me the same thing..

Just when I thought my body was fine and I was handling stress okay. (NOT)

Two doctors saw it differently.

Surgery now postponed.

I have to force myself to eat when Im stressed. So I understand...

I have to work on that myself...
Old 05-04-2011, 12:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stress is awful for the body. And like I said, you think you are ok because you are doing stuff, living life but your body is sending out other signals. Blood pressure, heart rate, diet, etc.

I've also lost weight this past year. I attribute that to being involved with the RABF as well and it was a topsy turvy year indeed. Great that I lost weight but that kind of weight loss isn't the healthy, good nutrition kind. Its the too stressed/sad to eat kind. And my situation is not nearly as stressful as what many of you go through. I think the relationship just tipped me over the edge as I already had other stressors before he came into my life.

I'm also one to not drink water and I notice a difference just sipping some through out the day. I have to force these things though, we normalize the stress we are under.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are so right to point that out BB, stress can be, well, stressful. I'm feeling a lot of it lately, not just with AS, but family issues going on as well (daughter seperating from husband, ill mother-in-law, work, etc.) so I've been trying to excercise as much as I can find time for, worried that I'm just going to blow up.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babyblue

[QUOTE
In a way I am thankful this happened because I probably would have kept on thinking I was doing great but I see now that I wasn't. I was telling myself I was. My body told me otherwise.

Babyblue,

Wow, that sounds scary!

Glad that you are feeling better. Do you know why you get anemic? Have you had a visit to your doctor lately? Maybe a good time for a check-up if not.

thanks for the reminder. It is so easy to just continue on in stress, and not to think of what it might be doing to our bodies.

hug,
chicory
Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Babyblue, subliminally you are telling me I should go back to the gym, right?

It's funny how true it is, though. Getting caught up in working on your mental health that you forget how interconnected everything else is.

Even before my AP woes, I found that even with a healthy mind, if I didn't take care of myself physically... I felt down. I felt lethargic. My energy levels were slipping.

Can't believe exercise is something I haven't even considered recently. Thanks for the reminder, BB, think its time to get back to hitting some heavy-bags tomorrow after work.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ah yes...self-care.

I've been forced into it by two physical instabilities, which have gotten worse in my 30s: hypoglycemia and crippling migraines. With hypoglycemia, I simply HAVE to eat well and eat regularly (as in every 3.5 hrs), or I end up with the shakes or simply passing out. With the migraines, I've discovered that a regimented lifestyle is a MUST, or else I end up hiding in a dark room, holding ice packs on my head, popping triptans and anti-inflammatories for days. I'Ve had to insert regular cardio-vascular exercise + weights into my schedule...make sure I drink 2 liters of water per day, take a strict regiment of vitamins (multi, B2, magnesium, calcium, etc), eat my usual 6 small meals a day AND get at least 8 hours of sleep. So...no more skipping meals or eating junk, staying up late or stressing myself out needlessly.

There's just no getting around living an unhealthy lifestyle anymore. My body won't allow it, and though it's a pain in the butt sometimes, it's probably a good thing!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm glad my experience is reminding others who are stressed to be aware of what you are really going through due to stress.

Chicory: Mine is just a genetic thing. My mom was as well. It only becomes really tricky when I have surgery or I don't take care of myself.

Anvil: I LOVE Gyros!!!

nodaybut2day: I also get crippling migraines as well, esp if I skip a meal. But I hate cooking. So I don't eat as well as I should.

Today was really hot so I had water with me (even though I'm not a huge water drinker) I made a point of taking sips all day.