Notices

Had my first big "Hey lets get drunk!"

Old 05-02-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had my first big "Hey lets get drunk!"

This may sound silly to a lot of people, but one of my big drinking pals lives in Texas while I life in California. For the past few years we would get druck together sitting in front of our computers over webcam. You know because techincally its not drinking alone right!??!!? lol

Anyways, I havent told him I have decided to quit drinking until last night. He sends me a video conferance request, and I accept. We BS for awhile just as normal. He then says "ready to get hammered bud!!?" I say naa man, I actually havent drank for a week now, and plan to keep it that way. I can then tell the semi disapointment in his voice.

Well we still stay on video conferancing. He still drinks even though Im not.

Ill tell ya. Hes a good friend of mine, and It was a little hard sitting watching him drink while I didnt. I could have ended the session by saying I had to go, but I didnt. I was semi testing myself and my will being in that enviorment. And Im happy to report I passed.

Funny thing was though even though I explained I was stopping drinking he would still contiune to say get drunk with me! I had to keep saying no bud, im sorry. Mind you he was drunk while asking me over and over.

Anyways yeah it was a little hard to sit there sober with him. BUT I did it and very happy I was able too.

So yeah! Today is Day 8 for me! Woohoo!

-Ryan
Old 05-02-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! That IS one heck of a test. I know how you feel. I was at my best friend's 40th birthday party on Friday night, where I knew I wasn't going to be drinking, and was ok about it. I had ginger beer in a champagne glass, and not one person noticed I wasn't drinking! NOT ONE! At the end of the night, my best friend plus pals were all quite a bit of a mess. My best friend (who is the only one who knows about me quitting) slurred...."you are SOOOO annoying". Why? Because I was sober and together, and she had to stagger up the driveway. Guess who felt crappy the next morning? Not ME!! haha
Well done for staying strong. The longer you go, the more your buddy will realize that you are just as much fun sober as you were before, if not more. Maybe he will put the beer down during your chats - you might end up having amazing conversations you never would have before!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newwings View Post
I had ginger beer
This may be a silly question, but what is ginger beer?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, good for you to pass your test. That is quite a test for only being in a week. I don't think I would have tempted myself at that point. I wonder how he felt about your not drinking during the conversation.

I don't know what ginger beer is either -unless its merely ginger ale??!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drinking together via webcam...I've heard it all now. LOL you did great!!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

ginger beer is a brewed soft drink

I had to cut a lot of those kinds of friends free Ryan - however much they seemed to 'get it' when sober...they'd always be on at me to join in when they got drunk.

Mind how you go - make sure you're ready for everything that comes with hanging with drunk folks.

D
Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ooops, that's my Englishness coming out. Yep, it's ginger ale. We call it ginger beer in the UK.

I've done drinking over webcam as well...with my friend who lives literally 1/2 mile down the road. Pretty ridiculous when I think about it! Talk about any excuse, I could have walked there but to WALK there to get drunk seemed silly at the time. Thanks for the reminder, Ryan, that I used to do daft things all in the name of getting drunk!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job for not drinking!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats buddy. Those friends can be hard to be around, even if they are good people and our closest pals. It's as if we want to drink because we feel like we are disappointing the other person by abstaining. This is why it's important to remember that we have chosen sobriety for to take care of us, not them. Congratulations again my friend!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newwings View Post
Ooops, that's my Englishness coming out. Yep, it's ginger ale. We call it ginger beer in the UK.

I've done drinking over webcam as well...with my friend who lives literally 1/2 mile down the road. Pretty ridiculous when I think about it! Talk about any excuse, I could have walked there but to WALK there to get drunk seemed silly at the time. Thanks for the reminder, Ryan, that I used to do daft things all in the name of getting drunk!
One of my Drinks of choice when I was drinking was a Moscow Mule. Im very familiar with ginger beer.

-Ryan