Notices

help for first timer

Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hope and Faith

help for first timer

I am screaming for help and support but have not got it from family or friends and feel lost and alone. My mind is foggy and i need to find out where to go and what to do. I am tired of living my life this way and want to see the world again throught clear eyes and an open heart, and to be excited again about the little things taken for granted by so many including myself. What are the options for me for first time detox. I got laid off my job so i have no health insurance, where do i go? Whats the difference in thirty day treatment, and the treatment options out there. Please help me
Old 05-02-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hope and Faith

I have to add, i went to a doctor last year seeking help for all my medical problems. After he determined i needed help he prescribed me fentanyl patch. Long story short i hate it and want off. I cant live or function. I am down to 100 pounds and have lost my appetite and feel if i dont get help i will be dead in a few months. How do i get off of this without having insurance?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hope and Faith

I get so confused to all the choices. Here in my state there is not much but half way houses for people with no insurance. I have gone to family and they make me feel i am in denial and not admitting my problem. I have told them about it and am asking them for help but they make me feel as though i did something wrong. I went to my doc for answers to my questions and he put me on fentanyl and now my life is ruined. My problem is a result of a prescription not me searching for it and now i am no different then millions of americans that find themselves in this situation and i want recovery and hope and my life back and am willing to do all it takes to get it. So why is my family turning their back on me? Why will they not help me? After i am the one that has always helped them and others.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.

My advice is to take the focus off your family. And, put the focus back on you. You need to use your energy to get well, and not spend it blaming your family for not helping.

You can always go to a Salvation Army in your city. They offer free rehab for anyone who wants it. For detox, you can go to an ER and get help.

Here's the link to the Salvation Army in Oklahoma City:

http://www.salvationarmyokcac.org/
Old 05-02-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

welcome helpforme - I'm sorry you're dealing with this..... Have you talked with your doctor about wanting to get off the patch? Perhaps an addiction doctor would be able to give you more help......

You might get some information through your state or county health department or mental health services. They could at least steer you in the right direction, and Anna's suggestions are really good ones too.

There's also a section on the forum for substance abuse/recovery:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

This is a great place with people who really understand. All the best....
Old 05-02-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

Just take some deep breaths. There is help. Sometimes friends and family just do not understand. Try some resources here: Oklahoma Drug and alcohol Rehab referral in the United States, Drug Rehab program. I think you will find something helpful. Sending positive energy your way.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I lived with no health insurance ....I found
a free clinic sponsored by D.C. churches and
the doctors were medical students in their final year.

they also had all kinds of doctors willing to take patients
in need...with no fee...when the clinic referred them.
For instance...my ortho doctor was the Redskins Football team doc.

Welcome to SR.....
Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi and welcome (((helpforme))). You've made a great first step by reaching out to us, there are SO many of us here (on the substance abuse forums) that truly know what you are going thru right now. I am so glad that you are here. There are plenty on treatment options out there.

I've been to rehab several times, most of them were 30 day programs. If you are dedicated and truly ready to find recovery, rehab can give you some tools to help you achieve this. Going to rehab alone will not "fix" anything persay but it will give you the help that you need and give you a place to have a safe, medical detox.

I have personal experience with the Fentanyl patch among most opiate pain killers because I live with several chronic pain conditions that are debilitating to say the least and I am directly headed towards assisted walking/wheelchair one day (too) soon. Fentanyl is very strong medication as you know and the w/d's are a nightmare. I've went cold turkey off this medication 2 times and it is completely awful (just like most other opiates when you kick them).

I ended up in the same situation, I was not seeking drugs, my problem resulted from being prescribed powerful medications for my conditions 2 1/2 years ago that led to further problems because I do have an addictive personality.

Halfway houses are definitely another option but you are going to have to detox first before entering most programs (that I have experience with). Most halfway houses have a lot of rules that you must follow (attending meetings, chores, getting up at a certain time, curfew, etc) and once you are there for a period of time, most will require you to find a job to start paying "rent" for staying there.

I wish you luck, I've been where you are right now. If you ever need to talk, please do not hesitate to contact me by sending me a personal message, I will always listen and will respond quickly.

Please check out the substance abuse forums there is a lot of info and support there

-Jess
Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh and I forgot, there should be some options for rehabs through your county mental health/health dept. for those without insurance...You should be able to call 311 to find possible options in your area
Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

A county hospital will not turn you down because of no money to pay. There may even be a program at the hospital for low/no income people. Where I live, Ventura County, CA had just a program. Also going to AA meetings and finding out about their recovery program will give you instant support and suggested instruction to follow. And of course, being actively involved here as SR will also help you find direction and be given support by all the wonderful people he.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Okay for some reason I cannot edit my reply but I wanted to say that dialing 311 wasn't correct. Apparently that is only here in my state, sorry about that. But I am trying to do some research for you b/c I see you are in OK Hang in there and I hope to see you back here!!

-Jess
Old 05-02-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome helpforme

I'm not an American so my knowledge is limited - but this site/hotline maybe able to help you find resources too:

2-1-1 Call Center Search

D
Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

THANK YOU Dee!! haha I was just coming back to say that, I mistakenly said 311 and I just verified the 211

-Jess
Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hope and Faith

anna...thanks for the advice. Guess i was going through a moment when i posted that because i really am not concerned with my family like you and others have said. Yes i care that what i do affects the whole but will deal with that when i get well. For now i am thinking of myself and how to get help. I know all else i will work on and fix once i recover cause i cant deal with anything head on until i get my health back. Getting well is my primary concern and like i said, i am not sure where to go. I have learned there are not too many places to go for treatment or at least what i have learned so far. Its either pay lots of money for high end treatment or go to a place locally for help but still confused. How does the er help me? What can the ER do for me? Any advice would be taken with appreciation and gratitude. thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hope and Faith

Guess i need to explain but first signing up for this site has been the most important first step aside from telling my family. So thank you all for the words of advice. No matter how i get advice on here, positive or negative i will listen to it all and take it in so thank you. It started when i went to a pain doc for answers to my health concerns. My primary referred me to him and they ordered Cat Scans and MRIs like most do. After determining my need for something one answer he gave was surgery which i declined. I felt i was not ready to walk that road so he prescribed fentanyl which at first i thought was the better alternative since it is thru the skin and not digestive tract. I thought it might be safer but was not even sure what it was. Soon I learned it was the devil and the most dangerous opiate out there, among other ones as well. Now if i go beyond the 72 hours the patch is meant for my body tells me with massive wd's. You know the ones. Anyway, i had to continue working since i am a single parent and need to feed the child. I had no option but to continue putting the patch on. A few times i tried not taking the patch. Times i was off for a few days extra or times my daughter was gone for a week. Those times i tried taking advantage but again my body could not handle it. When i told my doctor i wanted to wean down he said by no means skip a day, that i could have a seizure. When i told him i was concerned about my health and how i was losing weight he told me in no way does fentanyl affect weight and told me to get my thyroid checked. I know this to be crap and know the affects opiates have on the gi system. I was 150 pounds last year and now down to 100 and look anarexic. I feel if i dont do something now i will be dead in six months. I cant eat, have no appetite, and have constipation so bad i go once in two weeks. Its terrible. So being a newby to al this and just now doing all my research i found if i die it would be due to malnutrition. So again, where do i go? I would love a rapid detox place just to get it going but cant affort it. Plus i cant let my x find out cause he will take my daugter away. I just need to get off it so i can start my therapy and treatment where i can still spend time with her. Any suggestions of places here iin oklahoma that may work for me?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hope and Faith

I also want to add, since you guys are so great at listening to me, that when i found it was time to open up to my family, i found it easier to do then i thought. I told my mom and my sister since thats all i got outside of the most important member my daughter but she is very young. Anyway, my sister listened welll as did my mother. I expect for them to get angry or mad or whatever feeling they have and i give them that, will not take that from them cause they are hurt. I understand they have the right to vent about their feelings and take it completely. But i guess what hurt the most was my sister thinking i was a on drugs for much longer then i told her. I guess this is normal. I imagine she is probably thinking back to all the times she can recall when we were both young, normal behavior. My mom did it also, reflecting to years and years ago all the way back to high school. I tried to tell them both that i was a "result of" which does not change anything i know, believe me i know, but that i was spilling it all out for them to hear, every bit, and asking for help to get well. My sister told me she would not help me. So that leaves me to mom, which i finally got her to understand i need help, i need support, and in return will do my best to get back to the person i use to be and can be cause i want it more then anything. I hate this fog i have been walking around in, hate the way it makes me feel, and need answers before rock bottom getts really low.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hope and Faith

Originally Posted by iliveforyou View Post
Hi and welcome (((helpforme))). You've made a great first step by reaching out to us, there are SO many of us here (on the substance abuse forums) that truly know what you are going thru right now. I am so glad that you are here. There are plenty on treatment options out there.

I've been to rehab several times, most of them were 30 day programs. If you are dedicated and truly ready to find recovery, rehab can give you some tools to help you achieve this. Going to rehab alone will not "fix" anything persay but it will give you the help that you need and give you a place to have a safe, medical detox.

I have personal experience with the Fentanyl patch among most opiate pain killers because I live with several chronic pain conditions that are debilitating to say the least and I am directly headed towards assisted walking/wheelchair one day (too) soon. Fentanyl is very strong medication as you know and the w/d's are a nightmare. I've went cold turkey off this medication 2 times and it is completely awful (just like most other opiates when you kick them).

I ended up in the same situation, I was not seeking drugs, my problem resulted from being prescribed powerful medications for my conditions 2 1/2 years ago that led to further problems because I do have an addictive personality.

Halfway houses are definitely another option but you are going to have to detox first before entering most programs (that I have experience with). Most halfway houses have a lot of rules that you must follow (attending meetings, chores, getting up at a certain time, curfew, etc) and once you are there for a period of time, most will require you to find a job to start paying "rent" for staying there.

I wish you luck, I've been where you are right now. If you ever need to talk, please do not hesitate to contact me by sending me a personal message, I will always listen and will respond quickly.

Please check out the substance abuse forums there is a lot of info and support there

-Jess
what exactly is a half way house and what do they do? I have read about them, and cant judge anything till i get all the research on their programs and sucess rates. I know it all depends on me.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Halfway House | Halfway Houses | Halfway House Articles

Halfway Houses

These two sites will give you a general idea what a halfway house is like...

-Jess
Old 05-03-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Helpforme. Glad you're here.