Notices

Music and recovery

Old 04-30-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Music and recovery

One thing I've been having trouble with is listening to music. See I love music, but its so related to drinking for me. While music lifts my spirits a lot, it also makes me want to make a drink as well.

But I guess thats with everything. Im still in my first week of recovey, and Im finding everything in my life relates to drinking in some way or another.

-Ryan
Old 04-30-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dfw

Try finding some new relaxing music that you wouldn't normally listen to. Thatmight help, if you want some suggestions just shoot me message.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a great love of music too. It's an essential for me.

I hope you'll find, as I did, that eventually you can listen to anything again Ryan...but yeah maybe give it some time

D
Old 04-30-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dfw

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have a great love of music too. It's an essential for me.
If I didn't listen to so much music, and weren't a musician myself, recovery would be pretty impossible.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I felt the same way early on. I drank mostly by myself and always with music. It's really hard sometimes to hear music that reminds me of good times with alcohol. Everytime that happens I just remind myself why I quit. Ironically, I've found I like different songs on albumns now that I've had some sober time and have been able to listen sober. Anyways stick with it. It gets easier.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not sober, but I'm working on it. I understand where you're coming from. Music is really important to me. But, before I realized I have a drinking problem I realized that I listened to music because it had some emotional effect on me. So, the reason I drink and the reason I listen to the music I listen to is because it makes me feel a certain way. Not everyone is the same, but I've found in the brief times when I'm sober lately that I want to listen to different kinds of music and I've had to seek out new music to fulfill that desire. It sounds weird, I know. But, I've always noticed that my mood is ultimately what dictated my musical tastes at any given point in my life and they became intertwined at some point. Maybe your musical tastes need a tweaking now that you've found a new path. What type of music are you into? Maybe people can offer some alternatives? Good luck. Music is important!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

RR

as a now sober musician,

with time, it took on new meaning.

as suggested, search out some uplifting tunes, and music styles.

hell,

i wound up playing in a little God Rock Band on sundays mornings

Me!

also in a Classic Rock Band, even do some Nugent

one week in wont change years of abuse,

so RR keep moving forward,

work at recovery,

and give time a chance to do it's magic

good wishes to you RR
Old 04-30-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love music. I have quite the collection. Sadly I haven't listened to any in quite awhile because its something I always did while drinking.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I changed the music I listen to since I've gotten sober. Not really intentionally, but it's just kinda happened. When I drank I loved listening to songs from my youth, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Counting Crows, etc... I'd sit around and "remember when". I still like that stuff, but I've noticed that I'm much more into new music now.

I'm not sure if this is even related, but I feel like it probably is. Most of my actions when drinking where desperate attempts of remembering "better days". Today, I feel like my best is in front of me, and that includes the music l listen to.

I still have a special place in my heart for Biggie and Tupac though, always will!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are some really good recovery music resources on the Internet. Try searching on Google for "recovery music" (use quotation marks). I hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a "classical" pianist but don't often play or practice for myself anymore. When I do though, it's the most amazing antidepressant! Then I wonder why I don't do it more -- just picking something out and playing through it.

Have you tried changing the music you listen to?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I really havent tried to change the music I listen to, but I will for sure. The last bit of music I started listening to about 2 months ago was Irish pub music lol. But I think thats out of the question now lol.

-Ryan
Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think Van Morrison is the man.

In my using days I was obsessed with music influenced by drug use, be it the using artist, the lyrical content, the song title, the album cover, ANYTHING. As long as it was remotely related to drugs, I was into it. Even if the music wasn't associated with drugs at all, I would find a way to make a connection between the music and drugs.

So yea, music is THE trigger for my drug/alcohol use. I have to pay attention to my thoughts when I listen to music, because I know what songs/artists/styles of music flip that switch in my head.

Anyway, Van Morrison = the man. His music is just gorgeous. Also, I have tons of respect for musicians who don't abuse substances, and Van has always been one of those. Once I read someone wrote that Van "gets stoned off a glass of water", I thought that was pretty funny.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR msjstroke

D
Old 05-02-2011, 02:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hi
i to was deeply into music going to gigs etc,i found during my slide into the gutter and depression all i could listen to was talk radio,it was almost like that was the only social interaction i had,the talk hosts,i looked upon as friends as they got me through my roughest times.
im on the mend now and find that i have got my brain back and i can listen to music again,i have a iphone and never used the ipod part of it.mow i find i use it all the time.
sorry i dont think this helps you much other than to say as you get better,if like me you should find your joy of music returns
good luck mate keep up the good work were all behind you
Richard
Old 05-02-2011, 02:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A friend asked me: "why cant you just stop at one drink?Try practicing that"
I said "well i dont know why i cant stop and i am not going to risk it right now, so no driking at all for me"

My point is, of course you relate everything to drinking. I realte everything to smoking too. Drinking was a heavy habit of ours, its hard to get off. So as hard as it sound, maybe try not listening to music, specially the music that gives you the craves. Like i said earlier "why risk it?"
Old 05-02-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Music is huge in my life as it is with many here. I like almost almost any genre, as long as it isn't over produced music with no message... message is important...... my favorites are blues, alt.country (I guess we are calling it Americana today) and folk...

I have had a recent breakthrough with this problem you mention... My wife and I like trance, especially vocal trance... I had a REAL hard time with that in early recovery... and that was a problem, because that was a shared activity, my wife loves it... and she just has ONE drink...

So it is with a full understanding of your question and with quite a bit of relief that I can now tell you, that music.... all music... for me... holds the same level of meaning and enjoyment as it always did....

Get recovered Ryan, you've got a lot more to look forward to in your life than you think you do!

Old 05-02-2011, 04:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As part of my recovery, I have changed the music I listen to and I have changed the times I listen to music. Instead of listening to a lot of dark, gloomy music at night, I play bright, inspiring music in the morning. If I want something serious and dark, I make time for it in the evening AFTER dinner. What I cannot afford to do is to stay up late, hungry and lonely, listening to music with a negative vibe. That will make me drink.

By the way, I went to a gig last week where everyone seemed to be drunk and people were throwing beer at each other and the band. Of course, it ruined the music for me. But rather than leaving in disgust, I stayed and watched the drunken crowd through my sober eyes and realised that I must have been a disgusting creature when I turned up to gigs drunk.

Now when I go to shows sober, I appreciate the musicians a lot more. And the money I save at the bar is enough for a souvenir T-shirt if I want one!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Originally Posted by RyanRed View Post
But I guess thats with everything. Im still in my first week of recovey, and Im finding everything in my life relates to drinking in some way or another.

-Ryan
I experienced the same feeling, but it did go away. Hang in there.

I love music but my years of drinking stifled me. I stopped listening to new stuff other than occasionally getting obsessed with one song. Now, I listen to a lot of new music (again). Just one way sobriety helped me find my passions and interests again.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dfw

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
RR

as a now sober musician,

with time, it took on new meaning.

as suggested, search out some uplifting tunes, and music styles.

hell,

i wound up playing in a little God Rock Band on sundays mornings

Me!

also in a Classic Rock Band, even do some Nugent

one week in wont change years of abuse,

so RR keep moving forward,

work at recovery,

and give time a chance to do it's magic

good wishes to you RR
Do you find it easier to write?

I know I used to often write music with a beer in hand in the past, but after a few I'd start to forget all the music theory I've learned over the years. Listening to recordings of what I've done since becoming sober, versus when I was drinking/using drugs...there's a huge difference.

I also no longer have a fear of singing in front of other people. I used to drink a lot to get over stage fright playing gigs as well, it was probably mostly my social anxiety creeping into my head. In any case, I feel a lot more confident lately.

Music is wonderful, if you associate music with lyrics to drinking, try switching to instrumental music. Maybe check out Explosions in the Sky, they did the score for the movie Friday Night Lights...they're an instrumental band that you can really feel the emotion in their playing. Or check out some old jazz music, I don't know what change would be best for you...but I like hunting for new music, it gives my brain something to focus on for a while.