Notices

About saying "Hi, I'm XYZ and I'm an alcoholic."....

Old 04-29-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question About saying "Hi, I'm XYZ and I'm an alcoholic."....

Hi -

I have only been to four meetings, and am still working to come to terms with my drinking. I don't feel ready yet to introduce myself with, "Hi, I'm (me) and I'm an alcoholic."

If I want to share, what is acceptable to say? Could I say, "Hi, I'm (me) and I'm a newcomer?"

Will people look down on me if I'm not okay saying I'm an alcoholic, at least at this point?

I have been afraid to introduce myself in a group because of this. So any advice welcome.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I went through this at first too. You can just say your name and that you have a desire not to drink today. Or just your name will do. Nobody is going to judge or make a big deal of it. We've all been there. Just keep going.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
oak

I'm so glad you brought up this issue. I have that same discomfort. I have not found a good answer for myself.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey guys and goils, "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking", whether your alcoholic or not is not important at this point. Sooo, Hi I'm xyz and I have a desire to stop drinking is perfectly fine.

Ron
Old 04-29-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you attend a Closed AA meeting....you are expected
to say....I'm Carol D...an alcoholic.....because they are only
for those of us who are....

Other meetings are not as strict.....
I'm Carol D...I want to quit drinking wil do just fine.

You wil hear all sorts of variations in meetings....but it's best
to be honest about why you are there....
Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid to introduce yourself as an alcoholic. If you are at a meeting everybody figures you are anyway.

Can you practice at home looking in the bathroom mirror and saying "hi, I'm xyz and I'm an alcoholic." Saying it out loud to yourself might be the first step in admitting it.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't know if I was an alcoholic when I started attending meetings. I just knew I wanted to stop drinking. I think I just said "Hi I'm Tiger and I'm not sure if I'm an alcoholic or not." I think it's a fair bet that if you have found yourself in AA, you are an alcoholic, but as I was reminded again and again when I was new, the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. I thought alcoholics were the guys passed out on park benches with brown bagged bottles. I dind't know people like you or I could be alcoholics, which is why I didn't know if I was one. I didn't doubt that I was powerless over alcohol, I just didn't understand what that meant when I was new.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was in rehab we did it out of courtesy because there were others there with other struggles. It was nice to know 'why' they were there. Some are also family members of alcoholics.
For me, when I go to a meeting...it is a reconfirmation of my admittance to my addiction. I don't say it for others, just the same way as I don't go to meetings for others. If I help someone in my mission, then that strengthens me. But every time I say "Hi I'm Emerald and I'm an alcoholic", I'm reaffirming my reason for being there in the first place.
But you do what you feel comfortable with -no one is gonna kick you out because you don't want to 'say it'.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It took me awhile to be comfortable saying "Hi my name is Eddie and I'm an Alcoholic." It's OK to be uncomfortable with that, but for me it was largely because I was fighting that label and all it meant. In my case, getting over that was part of my first step.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

How about "Hi I am XYZ and I am a grateful member of AA." Remember the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There is no requirement to admit your an alcoholic.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeDance View Post
Hi -

I have only been to four meetings, and am still working to come to terms with my drinking. I don't feel ready yet to introduce myself with, "Hi, I'm (me) and I'm an alcoholic."

If I want to share, what is acceptable to say? Could I say, "Hi, I'm (me) and I'm a newcomer?"

Will people look down on me if I'm not okay saying I'm an alcoholic, at least at this point?

I have been afraid to introduce myself in a group because of this. So any advice welcome.
If you feel you must say something, you can say "Hi, I'm (me) and I wish to recover."

This is sufficient even for closed meetings.

If anyone so much as looks at you the wrong way because of it - highly unlikely, but possible - tell them to read Tradition 3:
The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop drinking.
This variation will be "fool proof," since even the long form of Tradition 3 states:
Our membership ought to include all who suffer from alcoholism. Hence we may refuse none who wish to recover.
Recycle's version is also good if you consider yourself a member.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As someone who is very new to the idea of even attending an AA meeting or even admitting to myself that I'm an alcoholic, I'm really glad you asked this question. The thought of standing in front of a bunch of peopel for any reason right now terrifies me. the idea that I'd have to admit that I think I'm na alcoholic to anyone at all makes me cringe.

Please let me know how people react. I hope that they'll see you're a little shy about the whole thing and will be that much more welcoming.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like what others have said. "hi I'm Silly and I do not want to drink today" or "hi I'm Silly and I have a desire to stop drinking". Only at Closed AA meetings should you be a person with a desire to stop drinking. Open meetings invite all types of people interested in AA. Sometimes it's medical students, sometimes it's family members, sometimes it's those who aren't sure and don't want to impose on a closed meeting.
You'll notice that even at closed meetings many people do not introduce themselves as addicts or alcoholics. They simply say they are grateful members of AA or that they're sober today through the grace of god or through the power of AA.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I have heard many say...Hi, my name is ---- and I qualify
Old 11-25-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bumping up for some extra courage tonight. Google lead me to this old thread.

I'm a family member recovering from this family disease of alcoholism. I'm also an adult child of a dysfunctional family.

I've been to open AA meetings before when I've needed a 12 step meeting and didn't have an Alanon or ACoA meeting available. Tonight I'm full of doubt, fear, insecurities that are bubbling up internally... going to a meeting usually helps a lot.

For some reason I'm fixated on how to introduce myself. In the past I've gone with "codependent" or just my name.... not sure why it's bugging me so much... maybe I'm looking for excuses not to go.

Maybe I'll go with, "Hi, I'm --- and a member of some other 12 step programs".

http://bigbooksponsorship.org/articl...ing-introduce/
Old 11-25-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you get something out of it keepingthefaith

D
Old 11-25-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've never been to an AA meeting where anyone had a problem with someone new just introducing themselves by their name.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

First meeting I sat at the back and didn’t have to say anything.
Second meeting I sat at the back and the chair started offering the opportunity to share to people at the back of the room first so I was put right on the spot.

I just blurted it it out, and stated that I am an alcoholic.
Glad I did as the worrying about it has now gone.

If being powerless over alcohol makes someone an alcoholic then my description of myself is very accurate.
I also made a deal with myself before I attended my first meeting that I would do every hard thing that was presented to me for the sake of my sobriety so that there was less chance of me chickening out.