My Friday Morning Reminder....

Old 04-29-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Friday Morning Reminder....

"Let Go and Let God." This slogan is often summarized by simply stating that you are turning either a problem or a person over to the care of the God of your understanding. This doesn't mean that we don't try to do our part by taking responsibility for our own actions and decisions. It does mean that we stop trying to fix other people, or problems, that are beyond our ability to solve. We trust that those problems are in the hands of God ... however we personally define Him (or Her)!

In order to live "One Day at a Time" and "Let Go and Let God", we must also be able to "Keep An Open Mind" and admit to ourselves that we don't always know what is best for another person. Even if we are absolutely certain that they are ruining their lives, we don't have to let them ruin ours! We also need to be open to the idea that the problems the alcoholic is encountering may be necessary in order for them to realize that they have a problem. If you help them avoid the results of their behavior, they may not see that their drinking is a problem at all. Be open to the idea that difficulties help them grow!

"Let it Begin with Me" means that we must change our behavior, if we hope that someone else will change their behavior. When we stop taking care of the alcoholic, and fixing the messes they get themselves into, they have to learn to take responsibility for their own lives. When we stop getting in battles with them, they can no longer blame us for "making" them go out and drink! "How Important Is It?"

The bottom line for Alanon members is they they will learn a new way of life that is independent and separate from the life being lived by the alcoholic or drug abuser. Find new friends, enjoy new activities, and keep busy. Take care of yourself, instead of the alcoholic. Protect yourself, and your financial resources, if necessary. Don't let a drug or alcohol abuser pull you down with them. They have made their choices. In order to fulfill your destiny, you need to feel free to make the best choices for your own life.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"One Day at a Time"

Today...Im cutting it down to "One Hour At A Time" thats what works for me!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bobby, I'm right there with you, girlfriend. I'm taking it one breath at the time today. My goal is to eventually get to ten minutes at a time.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BobbyJ,
Enjoy your weekend! I believe you have a grandbaby to swoon over, if I am remembering correctly?!

Have a fantastic, "phone call free" weekend with your kids, you deserve it... don't answer your phone...at least until Monday...
~T
Old 04-29-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love your post, thanks so much for it! You really put some things into perspective for me, good timing!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Bobby))) - love the post!! I don't have as much a problem in the "letting go" part, I still have some work to do on taking it back I'm a whole lot better than I used to be, but I think I'm a work in progress I often think about something I read where HP says "how could I have done anything...you kept taking it back?"

Hugs and prayers,

Amy