What to do...what to do

Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do...what to do

Light night, our 36 year old AD called Mr. Habit. She told him that if she didn't pay her insurance premium of $400, she would loose her health insurance. She wants us to pay for it and she would give us the money back as soon as she gets back her tax refund. Sure...sure. She has depression and one of her medications would cost over $250 a month w/o insurance. He told her to let him "sleep on it." This morning, she told him that she really owed $900 and she sent an e-mail showing how to go online to pay it. She also told him that they may or may not cancel her insurance. But, they would keep the money that is past due. I used her password to get into her account that she gave us. Actually, she owes $1,476. And, is it due today. BTW, she hasn't even filed her taxes. She was going to run to H&R Block this morning. If she were Pinocchio her nose would be about 3 feet long by now. Same old dance. "We are so wonderful and she is so blessed to have us as parents. She is so sorry that she is stressing us out right now. If we didn't provide she knows God will take care of her" Blah...blah...blah.

Mr. Habit has some medical issues. Last week, he had to go the the ER twice. His X-ray of his colon is abnormal. He is waiting to have a colonoscopy. On his report was written..."a possibility of neoplastic process" which means a growth either malignant or benign. He certainly doesn't need to be dealing with this.

I don't have contact with her. I did answer her call last week to tell her about her Dad's health issues.

Long story short...do we pay so she will "possibly" have health insurance. Or do we not pay and for sure she won't have insurance. If she looses this insurance, I know no other insurance will cover her. She really needs to have the medicine for her depression. That is why I literally begged her not to quit her job last May. But, she did it anyway. And, today is the last day of her part time job.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wouldn't pay it..what's going to happen next month..and the month after that?These are the consequences of her addiction...let her feel them.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If it were me, I would not pay it. Not having insurance will be a consequence of her bad choices. If we continue to keep them from facing these consequences, they will never learn. You have more important matters to deal with regarding your husband's health. A 36 year old woman should be able to take care of herself. If she can't, that is her problem, not yours.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Habit,
Hugs to you.
IMO, I wouldn't pay.

In Ohio, when my son was released from prison he went to the county hospital, and they had him on a scale related to earnings, at that time he wasn't working. He also received his Zoloft less expensively.

You have enough on your mind right now, with your husbands issues.

Hugs and prayers coming your way.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One thing they taught my daughter at rehab was to play the tape out to the end..now I try to do that..what happens next?Does this really solve anything?does it rob her of an opportunity to deal with her own mess?how has it worked out in the past?
I think you know the right thing to do anyway.Your husband needs you right now and YOU need support right now.Taking care of both of you is where your energy should be going.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Habit View Post
Long story short...do we pay so she will "possibly" have health insurance. Or do we not pay and for sure she won't have insurance. If she looses this insurance, I know no other insurance will cover her. She really needs to have the medicine for her depression. That is why I literally begged her not to quit her job last May. But, she did it anyway. And, today is the last day of her part time job.
Looking at it from way over here, I 'd have to say that INSURANCE must not be all that important to her other wise she wouldn't be so far behind on paying for it. Money must not have been important to her if she quit her full time job. And now this is yours and your husbands problem...can you explain why? How did that happen?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone before me, don't pay.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I personally would NOT pay it.

If she really needs her insurance and since she is very low income, she can go to the local welfare office and apply for Medicaid, which will pay for her meds. She can also apply for food stamps.

As Anvil said, she is 36, time for her to stand or not on her own two feet.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

Most all pharma companies offer patient assistance programs for people without insurance. A great place to refer her to is needymeds.com, she can do a search for her medications and apply for assistance if she needs them.

I would NOT pay her insurance.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dearest SR friends,

I thank God for each one of you. What a blessing you are to me! I thank you so much for your wisdom, support, and knowledge. We are NOT paying her insurance. "Smacked", I referred her to needymeds.com. Actually, I looked at the website and her medicine is available for $20. : I really appreciate this information.

I was expecting the usual response which is anger and lashing out. Actually, she was quite calm and told me that she was sorry that she panicked. She said she knew that Mr. Habit and I were going through a lot and that she would handle it herself. She went on to thank me for loving her and said she loved Mr. Habit and me very much.

I don't know exactly what to think of it all. I am just enjoying the moment. I am so grateful for any glimpse of normalcy in our relationship with her.

Thank you for keeping Mr. Habit in your prayers.

Love and hugs,