Notices

Do I have a moderate drinking problem?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I have a moderate drinking problem?

I am in my early 30s. Ex heavy drinker, but now I drink in moderation, but it affects me much more intensely, and I think it is ruining my social life.

But the problem is, alcohol kills my brain, I act inappropriately, become VERY tactless, burn bridges easily and swiftly. Or I go the other way sometimes and become quiet, anxious, lose confidence, very tired. Either way it's destructive, and killing my social life.

These symptoms occur after just one drink. I usually drink up to four drinks, but have turned into a lightweight, so can't handle much than this with losing ability to speak. I don't really drink alone or have this kind of problem.

I have tried abstaining, and last a week, and feel great, and full of life , but this good feeling gives me confidence to absorb more alcohol, and I think, "this is silly I can handle a couple of drinks, so what if it makes me silly, it's okay to let hair down occasionally'.

There are people in my circle who don't drink, and they don't receive any negative treatment, they are just the same as everyone, so I don't understand why I can't do it too. : (
Old 04-28-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi takeitaway

Welcome

I don't believe in ranking problems - it's either a problem or it's not - and it sounds like it definitely is for you.

If life sober is great - and drinking brings you problems, but you continue to drink - thats a red flag too.

Noone here is a doctor - but if that was happening to me after one drink, or even 4?
I'd be giving my drinking some serious consideration.

I'd really consider seeing you Dr to get you started.

D
Old 04-28-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not a problem

If drinking is not a problem, then not drinking will not be a problem
Old 04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome takeitaway.
Glad you're here.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind words of support.

I am curious about the suggestion of the doctors. Will they have pills that make me ill if I drink, or do you mean a different kind of Dr?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I mean it's a good idea to have a check up - if it was me, I'd want to know if there was a physical reason why so few drinks had such a big effect on me.

It's a good idea to see your Dr if you're planning to stop drinking anyway....detox can sometimes be rough.

You can discuss various treatment options with your Dr too.

D
Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, everything you listed in your post sounds like a problem you wouldn't have to deal with if you stopped drinking. Try it for 60 days and see if life is better without it.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with Bikeguy and Dee .
See how you go without it for 30 or sixty days.

I knew I had a problem when I tried one week without alcohol and only made it to three days.

Apart from all the other ridiculous behaviour I did :

L
Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

takeitaway: "Ex heavy drinker, but now I drink in moderation ... but it affects me much more intensely ... I usually drink up to four drinks, but have turned into a lightweight, so can't handle much than this with losing ability to speak."

I would urge you to run, not walk, to your doctor's office and get a complete medical evaluation including (and especially) liver function tests. Please be honest with your doctor about your past drinking history and current alcohol intake. What you seem to be/may be describing is something called "reverse tolerance" which happens in the end stages of alcoholism. Of course, only your doctor can determine whether that is what is happening for you and only your doctor can provide you with the appropriate medical treatment and follow-up. I echo 100% what Dee has suggested that you do. Susan
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR!

I found life without alcohol to be vastly superior to when I drank. If you were to wave a magic wand and take away my physical problem with alcohol today I would still be happy not to drink.

Please see a doctor.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Framcismcam: I love that quotation. I see quotations here every single day that make all the sense in the world to me, then I feel like they don't apply to me.

But they do, they do.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR.
Originally Posted by takeitaway View Post
I have tried abstaining, and last a week, and feel great, and full of life , but this good feeling gives me confidence to absorb more alcohol, and I think, "this is silly I can handle a couple of drinks, so what if it makes me silly, it's okay to let hair down occasionally'.
After a little dry out period, I too would feel good and think drinking is in my control. I just have to do; <put endless list here> and I'll be good go again. Well that was just a dream. Thinking I can do anything I like with my alcohol consumption keep me sick. The truth was I had to change my behavior, alcohol was not included in my behavior change.

Life became very simple once I cut out the alcohol. I didn't have to bend my experience around any specific treatment modality, or filter my experience through the old excuse machine, always advocating my behavior some were, anywhere off the realm of my responsibility. Nope, I had a problem and I could fix it...so I did.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't ever wonder if I had a problem..Had that figured out. Normal people don't wake up tangled up in their clothes because they passed out before getting undressed for bed! I always drank alot..but towards the end I had a reverse problem from yours. It sounds insane but I would drink myself sober. No matter how much I drank..it just wasn't working any more. Obviously if I blew I would register drunk. But I didn't feel anything but sick. Now that I am sober looking back I am not sure why I drank to begin with. I never experienced the pleasant buzz phase. I blew right past that into the passing out phase. I think I am trying to tell you try as I might..I never knew how to drink. It is so much better to just stop trying to figure it out and give it up. Wave your flag and be done with it. The time spent drinking or thinking of drinking is insanity.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Something doesn't sound right there to me either. My vote is that you go to your doctor asap and tell him/her the exact truth of your drinking. Everyone has different physiology, that's why we all look different. So though your drinking may seem moderate in comparison to others, it's your body that really decides what it can take.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
takeitaway: "Ex heavy drinker, but now I drink in moderation ... but it affects me much more intensely ... I usually drink up to four drinks, but have turned into a lightweight, so can't handle much than this with losing ability to speak."

I would urge you to run, not walk, to your doctor's office and get a complete medical evaluation including (and especially) liver function tests. Please be honest with your doctor about your past drinking history and current alcohol intake. What you seem to be/may be describing is something called "reverse tolerance" which happens in the end stages of alcoholism. Of course, only your doctor can determine whether that is what is happening for you and only your doctor can provide you with the appropriate medical treatment and follow-up. I echo 100% what Dee has suggested that you do. Susan
I cannot agree more. Only a Dr can tell you for sure, but extreme intolerance to alcohol, as you described it - getting hammer by only a few drinks - is a symptom of liver damage.

Get your rear to a Dr. ASAP.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind messages of support. I think my liver is okay, it seems to be more of a mental reaction, than physical. But I will go to the doctors on Tuesday just to make sure.

I am certainly going to try absteining for a whole month. I don't think I have ever lasted more than 10 days, and I've tried a number of times. Day 1 is almost over, and I'm looking forward to clocking up a high score of at least 30.

Cheers people

x
Old 04-29-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes.. good Idea about the Dr.

well done , one day without a drink is excellent.

L
Old 04-29-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello takeitaway, I am new at this, and I still struggle with wondering if I really am an alcoholic, for me it's called denial. I go through the usual mental list of "well, I have never lost a job, home, friend etc and I have never been in trouble blah blah" But then, when I think about it, I obviously must have a problem with alcohol because I am not happy, and would drink to feel happy. That's how I know (for me) I needed help.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My liver was not damaged by my drinking..it was my
brain that alcohol affected.......

Welcome to our recovery community...
Good to know you are having a fresh start
heading into a healthier sober future.