Notices

New Life

Old 04-28-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Life

Hey all--,
I am so happy I've found this site! I have tried over and over to knock off the boozing, but I always seem to fall apart when I hit a rough patch in life. I know I've got nobody to blame but myself, but I think my failures are in part because I didn't have anybody to hold myself accountable to. So here it is, day one (again) and I feel like I might be able to get it this time! I hate booze and what kind of person I become when I drink. I am a good guy with a healthy reliance on alcohol. I got a prescription for Antabuse from my doctor and I am seeing my shrink on the 10th. Maybe with all of these things combined I can beat this devil out of me! Thanks for taking the time to read this post-- and if you have any advice for a guy who really wants to succeed this time I would love to hear from you!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Welcome (((PapaNico))) I'm so happy that you are here with us! I'm pretty new to recovery myself but I am sure others will be along to offer you some guidance, this is a wonderful, supportive group!

Glad that you have decided that it's time to find recovery, you are worth it

-Jess
Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great for you Papa.

You can hold yourself accountable to me by posting your progress in this thread tomorrow, and then the next day, and the next and so forth.

Stay strong!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot man, I will do that!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome.....Glad you're here.
My personal rule #6 is stay out of the liquor store. That's a good start!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group PapaNico, take it one day at a time, come back here often there is lots of great information and support!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Seems like you are already well on your way Papa. Admitting you have a problem, deciding sobriety is important, and taking action. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Papa Nico! I was so happy to find this site too. Keep posting and let us know how your doing. I'm sure you are a good guy! Heck we're all good people. Being an alcoholic doesn't make us bad.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome PapNico!
you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 04-28-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Papa - glad you're taking action to get your life back! I know you'll find lots of support here too..... I check in every day (and more often if I feel I need an extra boost). It feels good knowing so many out there know what we're going through.

Keep sharing - it really helps!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do this!
You have SR and the tools you have learned so far.
Be accountable and post your progress. Come here everyday and post.
I'm rooting for you.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

glad you are here! I am pretty new to this too... only 31 days. but i am lovin being sober so far. keep it up!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Artoro--,
So far, so good! I had to work last night. I am a field director here for a bunch of different baseball and softball leagues. Last night was the Mens softball league, and the brews just flow out there on Thursday nights. Man, I was whittling sunflower seeds all night long. I just worked the water bottle and also packed a stacked sandwich to keep me occupied and I got through it, thanks to all the support I've gotten here. I really appreciate everybody's helpful comments! (2nd day, here I am!)
Old 04-30-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 3 First Saturday in a while...

Hey all--,
Thanks for being there to keep tabs on me! I am going into my 3rd day of being sober and it is amazing! I have been getting up early and getting stuff done, plus I feel like I am able to contribute more to my relationships with my family and friends. This site is the main proponent, and I really appreciate you all being here to relate and offer support. Please, anybody who needs the favor returned, don't hesitate to ask!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Papa
I know I've got nobody to blame but myself
I don't know if blame is the word I would choose but I did have to finally own up to my actions. I had to become responsible for my past action and my recovery. I'm glad to see you doing that and congrats on day 3!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! Advice---

Hi Papa- First and foremost-you made it to SR and that is THE best start!
Please take time to dive through as many threads as you can and you'll get some real education from real people who've walked in your shoes.
We're all going to be here tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow for you, and you can be completely honest with us (and yourself) here - we're faceless, but not heartless, so we hope you post tomorrow!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good job Nico!

Changing one's habits is always difficult. And for us alcoholic abusers probably none is more difficult to ditch than drinking. So be proud of yourself in your effort. And try to enjoy your journey. I was reading Bob Dylan's Chronicles the other day and Bob's grandma gave him an advice: Happiness isn't on the road to anything. Happiness is the road.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

PAPA! Way to go ..keep on keepin on. Accountability to yourself is the most important thing of all.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Tough stuff!

Hey all--,
I just wanted to check in with you since it has been a couple of days. I am still going strong, I made it through the weekend! (5 days) It hasn't been easy however. I have found that my patience has been on a short fuse lately and I am having a ton of trouble sleeping. I think the two are probably compounding on each other... If I could just get a good night's worth of sleep I think things would even out a bit. As a result, I have had to overcome some serious cravings. Thankfully, I have been able to manage so far, but I was wondering if anybody else has any similar experiences when drying out. If so, how did you get through it? I have been ramping up my workout regimen in order to burn off the excess energy, and have also picked up other hobbies as well, but I am still getting torqued at the littlest things. Is this just something that I need to put up with for a while? If so, how long did it last for you? Thanks a lot for your input! I will keep working hard and thanks for all of the awesome support!

PN
Old 05-02-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The first two weeks were the hardest for me. I actually quit my job when I decided to quit drinking and was able to stay home and sleep a lot. I found it helped me, even with the endless dreams about alcohol.

In between naps I read. Both about recovery and other stuff to keep me occupied.

I also started to meditate and take long walks to clear the mind.

In hindsight I think it would have been extremely helpful to have someone knowledgable to talk to but at the time I pretty much kept to myself.

This worked for me but of course there's no secret formula. Each has to try to find his own way.