Anyone else read this?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else read this?

Has anyone (I am sure yes) read The Allegory of the Cave? (Plato).

I read it as a freshman in college for a religion class and it has stuck with me for a long time.

I feel like I am those characters in that allegory who know something better might be above them and are still afraid but are moving upward toward the unknown bc they believe there is more than just shadows and they are doing this in spite of their fear.

I'm not taking the speedy track upward- I am losing my foothold occassionally but I am clinging to the progress I've made and not going back down and am working my hardest at continuing to climb up and out of the cave.

Its been a long time since I read it-- I ought to read it again. It's a good metaphor for where I feel I and we all are at. No one is living in denial anymore-- we are all at different stages of moving out of the dark and into the light. Some might take longer or choose different routes, but we're moving.

I have thought about that allegory a lot lately as well as another I read that Fall called the Epic of Gilgamesh. I think there's a reason bigger than me that those readings resonated with me as a 17 yr old who was living in a world of denial about most everything about my life. I didn't know why they stuck with me so much at the time or over the years but I think I'm starting to.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am a big believer in the healing power of stories.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

YES-- I know exactly the one you mean. I ran across it about 20 years ago, and I was amazed by it.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuffaloGal View Post
YES-- I know exactly the one you mean. I ran across it about 20 years ago, and I was amazed by it.
That's about when I ran across it too! God, I didn't realize it was that long since college... In black and white it looks like a long time ago!