Breakthrough - Small Perhaps But Big to Me

Old 04-28-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Breakthrough - Small Perhaps But Big to Me

As many of you know, my AD is currently in her 6th round of rehab. What you may not know is she was in a horrible car accident that apparently scared her enough to pay for the treatment and return to the facility that helped her the most in the past.

Anyhoo, yesterday she called crying, and I hate to admit it, but I thought, "Here we go again. She wants to come home or bounce from treatment or somebody did something to her ya da ya da."

But it wasn't like that. She asked me why I never told her about Christmas day. On this past Christmas, I found her in her bedroom unresponsive, apparently not breathing, and with a weak slow pulse. Through luck and the good Lord's blessing, I succeeded in reviving her. The ambulance arrived and carted her off to the hospital.

At the time, she refused treatment. Told me I was a crazy b and took off.

The next day, I went to said rehab and attended the family program. AD, of course, was not there.

Return to yesterday. AD was in counseling when she apparently said something in anger about me and the counselor informed her about this event. AD tells me she has no memory of it.

And we talked. It was so wonderful to hear my daughter again. I do know she has a long way to go, but I can hear her again. And I haven't seen or heard her - the real girl beneath the addict - in years.

She was crying because she was sorry, not because she was trying to manipulate me. That's progress too.

Feeling high myself today.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

kirsteym,
How nice to start the day with some good news.
Time will tell, and her actions will speak louder than words, but for now it sure sounds like she is heading in the right direction.

hugs and hugs............
Old 04-28-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Any breakthrough is a good breakthrough and that sounds like a pretty big on to me. Your daughter will be in my prayers today.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing that. What a wonderful thing to have happen.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sitting in a courtroom some years back, I listened to the judge as she questioned the parents of an addict she had sent for treatment. The dad said, "I feel like I got my son back." I spontaneously cried when he said that. I'll never forget it.

Thanks for sharing. Only parents know that our addicts have been lost. Only parents know when they come back. And I'll throw siblings into that lot, but not always. Other people in relationship with them may speculate on that, but most people think "that's just the way they are."

Addendum: But having re-read my post above, I realize that my MIL did not recognize her clear-headed son (my then husband) and felt alienated from him until he returned back to his dysfunctional, foggy-brained state.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea!