Notices

2nd AA Meeting

Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

2nd AA Meeting

Well. The first meeting day before yesterday was awesome. I connected. This one, not so awesome. Someone celebrated a milestone, someone talked about a deceased family member who drank themselves to death. Another certain someone had me wanting to run, soooo annoying, very pompous acting, very high and mighty.

This person was pressuring others to speak out, and whenever someone said their name, HI, I'm _____ and I'm an alcoholic, they'd retort SCOTTAYYY!! or JOOHNNN!!

When someone had a tale about their spouse, said annoyance cracked up and wouldn't stop like it was the funniest thing ever. Very loud. I thought, is this one drunk?? This person obviously was a seasoned sober one, had friends and whatnot.

Why did this person bother me so much??

And is there an AA for working professionals, instead of the entire bum central group thrown in with one or two of my like minded people? That sounded bad but I hope you all know what I mean. Maybe it's just this one mtg. But this one is super close to my work and easy to get to on a daily basis.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

People like that annoy me too. I know they mean well, but I'm easily annoyed.

There are definitely professional AA meetings. I've never been to one as I'm a student but my uncle is a lawyer and attends professional AA meetings.

Google may help you out there...and just remember every meeting isn't the same.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

ok, well I'm glad I asked and didn't come out sounding bad.

I annoy easily too and on some level I think it's not that person's problem but mine. A personality fault.

The way I found this meeting was via my state's AA site. But maybe google will show me the way. Thanks so much Howdy12!

Also, just wanted to add that it would be very beneficial for me to find a meeting where I'm surrounded by people who are like me and understand - vs. people on the polar opposite of myself.

Last edited by Lost3000; 04-27-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Add my "also"
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep trying out different meetings. Sometimes you don't connect as well as other days. One thing I have noticed - we have an Alano club, and the meetings at the Alano club seem to have more people that are newer to sobriety. Church meetings seem to generally be more closely-knit... but it really depends. If you connect with someone at one of the meetings you attend, ask which ones are good.

I get annoyed with people too sometimes, but just like anything if you listen there's probably at least one small thing you identify with. Sometimes I can't even listen, but it still helps to go to the meeting.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also if there is a Intergroup in your area you can call or go to their website... they might have good recommendations.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

theatredork: Thanks! What's alano club?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And if you are an alcoholic they are most definitely NOT the polar opposite of you - keep an open mind.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Hang in there and keep trying different meetings. I too have experienced my share of meetings that I did not like and were not suited to me. Once I find a meeting that fits me I make a note of it and keep going to it. I also make a mental note of those that I do not want to return to.

Even with that I find that even the meetings that I like there are times when it just isn't what I am looking for. I tend to dislike most birthday meetings as many tend to be all about how wonderful the birthday person is rather than focus on the solution to alcoholism. That is one reason I go to a Big Book study to celebrate my birthday. Then the focus is on the book and not me yet I still get the opportunity to celebrate and share my recovery with others. Also a cake is always a bonus...lol
Old 04-27-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Lost-

B/c AA has only one requirement for membership - a desire to stop drinking.

...and b/c alcoholism can affect anyone, regardless of race, sex, social status, or education, (etc), you're going to get a nice sampling of life in any AA meeting.

We learn from everyone (even the annoying ones )

...but I do recommend trying out different meeting locations at different times and finding what you're most comfortable with. Just keep in mind that you may not know what's best for you (hint hint - keep an open mind).

Kjell~
Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by theatredork View Post
And if you are an alcoholic they are most definitely NOT the polar opposite of you - keep an open mind.
Completely agree. What I'm trying to say is, it's hard to relate to the person hanging by a thread, living on the street. In fact, it almost helps me make excuses: "Geez, I'm not all that bad!!" instead of seeing others like me and saying ok, I'm not a freak who can't deal, there are others here just like me!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
And is there an AA for working professionals, instead of the entire bum central group thrown in with one or two of my like minded people? That sounded bad but I hope you all know what I mean. Maybe it's just this one mtg. But this one is super close to my work and easy to get to on a daily basis.
I think we are like-minded people, and 'There but for fortune go you or I'.

I could have ended up a 'bum' but for my circumstances.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I think I offended people. I am keeping an open mind, most definitely. If I wasn't, I wouldn't even bother attending the mtg. in the first place, ya know?

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Hi Lost-

B/c AA has only one requirement for membership - a desire to stop drinking.

...and b/c alcoholism can affect anyone, regardless of race, sex, social status, or education, (etc), you're going to get a nice sampling of life in any AA meeting.

We learn from everyone (even the annoying ones )

...but I do recommend trying out different meeting locations at different times and finding what you're most comfortable with. Just keep in mind that you may not know what's best for you (hint hint - keep an open mind).

Kjell~
Old 04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Yes yes yes, and what people are recently posting here is not what I meant at all!!!! I knew it was going to come out sounding bad.

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think we are like-minded people, and 'There but for fortune go you or I'.

I could have ended up a 'bum' but for my circumstances.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I think I offended people. I am keeping an open mind, most definitely. If I wasn't, I wouldn't even bother attending the mtg. in the first place, ya know?
You didn't offend me and I know exactly how you feel. I've felt the same way many times.

...but of course, I'm sure there have been times when someone is also looking down on me.

No worries and enjoy the advice.

Kjell~
Old 04-27-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh, an Alano Club is usually a building where they have resources for the recovery community - they might have just meeting there, or sober activities - I googled Alano Clubs in Colorado and came up with a few. Mine has like a snack bar, a room for pool (billiards), 3 meeting rooms and a small library of materials.

Oh and I understand what you mean too, I'm just saying that I have made snap judgements and then been able to relate to some people...but sometimes you just don't connect. It is what it is.

Last edited by theatredork; 04-27-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Kjell: I'm not looking down at all. What I could relate to was the alcohol. The below is what I was looking for. Just a chance to sit down with people who also live my day to day life and know exactly where I am. I'm sure guy who lives behind the liquor store knows exactly how I feel in that first AA mtg., embarrassed, shy, uncomfortable. But does he know what it's like to try to act like everything is a-ok, like I'm totally together, like I'm not freaking hung over while presenting motions and briefs to a courtroom??
Still doesn't mean I won't stop going to the one right by my work.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

ok, thanks!!!

Originally Posted by theatredork View Post
Oh, an Alano Club is usually a building where they have resources for the recovery community - they might have just meeting there, or sober activities - I googled Alano Clubs in Colorado and came up with a few. Mine has like a snack bar, a room for pool (billiards), 3 meeting rooms and a small library of materials.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Kjell: I'm not looking down at all. What I could relate to was the alcohol. The below is what I was looking for. Just a chance to sit down with people who also live my day to day life and know exactly where I am. I'm sure guy who lives behind the liquor store knows exactly how I feel in that first AA mtg., embarrassed, shy, uncomfortable. But does he know what it's like to try to act like everything is a-ok, like I'm totally together, like I'm not freaking hung over while presenting motions and briefs to a courtroom??
Still doesn't mean I won't stop going to the one right by my work.
I don't know Lost, sorry. Guess you got it though so good luck.

Always great to see someone new joining our ranks. Get ready for an awesome ride!

Kjell~
Old 04-27-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I'm just looking for as much help as possible. Thanks for the well wishes and all the help you've offered so far.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lost3000,
I would suggest calling and finding out what resources are available through the bar association in your state. You might also be able to find out about your state's attorney assistance program by going on line to the bar association website. Ohio, for example, has OLAP (Ohio Lawyers Assistance Program) though the Ohio State Bar Association. The resources and support offered by OLAP are second to none. The bar has taken a very progressive stance on alcoholism and addiction among its membership. The assessment, referral and support network offered though OLAP is outstanding. In Ohio, continuing education hours on substance abuse (0.5 CEU of substance abuse training every 2 years) are required for licensure renewal. And although most attorneys make jokes about having to sit through the classes, folks know the program exists and where to go for help when things get out of control. In interests of full disclosure, I will tell you that I did not go that route (i.e., seeking help through OLAP). But if I hadn't found my way by going to AA on my own, I would not have hesitated to have called them. Good luck.
Susan