Notices

SR Causing Problems at Work

Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SR Causing Problems at Work

Here's a conundrum.

I am working hard at not drinking. It's not so bad during work but at night I need a good foundation. I am building that foundation in SR.

But once I start talking on here--I can't stop. And some work doesn't get done. Anyone else experience that?

I guess I can catch up with my leftover work at night when I would have been drinking...but I've learned to sleep so that won't work.

How much time each day do we spend on here?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We alcoholics are an undisciplined lot

I understand that SR is your lifeline in sobriety right now, but, that doesn't mean we neglect our responsibilites.

If you can finish your work at night, do it then. If not, set some goals for yourself.

I will only get on SR after I have finished ______(you fill in the blank).

It is hard, especially when we are newly sober to find a balance of sorts.

Congrats on your choice to live a sober life!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think balance is important in everything Missy...I know that definitely wasn't my best quality when I first came here...in fact I still have to work at it.

If you're neglecting work for SR try setting SR limits perhaps...

I love this place but if its become an obsession or a security blanket, it's good to look at that

D
Old 04-26-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Hang in there, if it gets so bad you feel like you want to drink call a number or two. Getting sober is hard, and sometimes you just can't go to your confort sober spot. Maybe you can print off your favorite quotes or something like that so you can look at it at a time of need. Or maybe just print off the SR Logo and staple it to your bosses forehead so whatever he says it is right fron SR! j/k
Old 04-26-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always have my internet browser open to SR at work and when I get a spare minute or two I jump on, some days it's often and on busy days at work it might not be at all. I find it comforting just to know it's there, of course I take full advantage of my breaks and lunch hour to do some reading and posting.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're not alone, Missy. I neglected a bit of work today while reading and posting, too. I'll be making up for it tomorrow morning. My work concern is actually hitting this site while at the office. Though my husband is the IT guy and he'd clue me in if there was a sudden crackdown at work where internet traffic would be monitored, it's probably not a good idea that I do that.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
I always have my internet browser open to SR at work ...
You're not worried about being discovered on a recovery board?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pocketpanda View Post
I fortunately work for a VERY small company (3) people and "computer guy" is one of the many hats assigned to me so I'm pretty safe as to not be in trouble for being on SR. I won't let it impact my work though and I make sure my work does not suffer from being here, actually my work has improved since I'm not fighting a hangover now for half the day or sneaking drinks over my lunch hour.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lucky you, Bikeguy! I should rely on my IT Guy husband to just clue me in on any corporate tracking. :-D
Old 04-26-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i know i've only been back on a couple of days-but the thing about this place is-when you're anxious, or you just need to get something out of your system-then there's always someone here to help or give words of encouragement-i haven't been on all night because i started newer meds today and i've been like a headless chicken-hyper, i've been in this house a year and a half now and never had a bedroom carpet-now i've got a nice shiny new l;aminate floor all laid properly and looking a million times better than it did-my point is-if you feel the need to come on and let stuff out then that's finewe're all here to listen and try to help-if you don't and you're only doing it to pass time-it's a question of priorities.

and as for having a sbr discussion open and people seeing it-so what ? it takes a MAN or a WOMAN to admit to being part of this-any idiot can criticise-but a REAL man, or woman, faces up to things- the ones that criticise you are probably the ones getting slaughtered every night to mask their own issues.

I know that might sound a bit mental but i'm typing as I'm thinking about it-I spent too many times hitting alt+f4 when i was embarrased-I'M NOT ANYMORE-because i'm a man and i'm facing up to my problems-the same way we all are.

sorry for the rant.

J
Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Guys--I'm not really worried--just amused. I'm pretty lucky about my work. I have specific duties with specific deadlines and no one micromanages me. Interestingly, I work at a college with a huge A&D program so I might make some points if they knew I'm doing this, and they would absolutely support me doing what I need to do to be successful.

But it does help with the anxiety and there is quite a lot of anxiety.

So I would guess that I'm spending an hour during the day at work on here (at least) and an hour at home. I've stopped getting on before I leave in the morning.

I'm looking for a good woman's group in my area.

I'm very excited today. Today I think I can do it.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I blow off work sometimes because I'm on this site. But I don't stress about it too much as long as it doesn't get me in any trouble. Work will always be there and I need this place some times.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started peeking in from work last month..It isn't that I fear my employers finding out I am on a recovery site..it is more of my guilt that while at work..I really should..well..work! Mine is a big place of employment..they have blocked alot (such as Facebook and Myspace) and I am not a Facebook OR myspace fan so I don't care..but if they blocked SR I would go @pesh!t. I don't hang on here..just like checking in to make sure you guys are still here..
Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Missy..wtf is Phil doing in the mirror..
Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pocketpanda View Post
I've told my head of HR that I'm an alcoholic in recovery and that if he ever needs to refer anyone to me, he should feel comfortable doing so.

Most of my colleagues at work know about my alcoholism. It's allowed me to provide thoughts and help in situations that I never could have imagined.

I have never had a single bad experience with someone finding out I'm an alcoholic (unless I was drinking at the time).
Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You are lucky you have a job that you can go online to do other things without getting caught. I don't know what kind of office you work at but I'd think that getting your work done first should be a priority.

My last job dictated no cell phones. Well, ALL the girls carried their phones and used them when they were in residents rooms with the doors shut. I left mine in my purse or at home. It was a rule and I followed it. I would feel guilty.

I guess having had my own plumbing business I am alittle more 'rule sensitive'. I had an employee that used my business phone for her 'at home' business. Also ones that would be checking email, etc while I was in the office. I guess at that point I was just glad that they were hired because I didn't know how to do their work (accounting) but I didn't think it fair they took advantage. They left at 3 and had the whole rest of the day.

And I guess losing my job because I drank, I am just very appreciative to again be working, especially in this economy. I wouldn't do ANYTHING to screw it up. My cell phone stays in my locker, I wear a retainer in my nose piercing and I wear long sleeves to cover up my tattoos. But that's me.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
Yeah I blow off work sometimes because I'm on this site. But I don't stress about it too much as long as it doesn't get me in any trouble. Work will always be there and I need this place some times.
reset-you hit the nail on the head my friend-i've just finished another job that the beer stopped me doing-so i thought i'd check in and say hi-at one time or another we all need this place to talk and air anxieties/opinions/just about anything that's on our minds at the time-if we didn't then it simply wouldn't be here !!!

and what a loss that would be.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LOL I love SR. I am usually on in the mornings. I guess I could be studying or cleaning but i have found that I am stronger through the day if I read on here. At work...i check it on my phone. To me its like carrying around my own AA meeting.