Notices

Day 2.. OK.. Breathe.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2.. OK.. Breathe.

Hey everyone. So this time yesterday I decided to STOP the madness of Vodka and officially start my journey to be alcohol free.

I decided to have one day of "weening" yesterday. I will admit, I slowly sipped on two beers throught the day... and I really didn't have any awful side effects, I am shocked!

I can't believe how easily I was able to fall asleep.. and I slept late!! (no work today!) I feel healthy and refreshed, which is a huge change. I'm used to ALWAYS waking up feeling nauseas and dry heaving - sometimes accompanied with a lovely headache.

I'm going to try to go without any alcohol today. My main concern though is, tonight is a huge day in sports for my family. Although we aren't going to the event, we always make a big thing of watching it at my home.. Sporting events almost always go hand in hand with beer. So this may be tough. Any advice on how to stay strong?

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, I haven't quit yet. May 5th is my target date. I don't have alot of advice, maybe ask your family to refrain from alcohol to help you out? I know If i'm at an event, and there's alcohol available, i can't stop myself.

Sorry I don't have any really useful advice or wisdom to offer. But good luck, you have my support.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I would try to go away, let the family watch the game and I would do something else, with someone who doesn't drink; Then when I came home I would be proud of myself for staying away from dangerous territory instead of feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't drink with the others.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, you both. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I LOVE sports and this is a huge game.. I want to be able to participate and watch with everyone else. Ugh. I guess this is just one of the many hurdles I will have to overcome.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you have to be around others drinking try to ALWAYS have something else to drink in your hand, coffee, a soda, water or your beverage of choice as long as it's not alcoholic in nature. I would also plan an escape plan if it gets to difficult, a quick walk around the block can give you time to tame any cravings that might come up. Good Luck!! You CAN do this.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fill a high ball glass or the like with club soda early on. Keep that glass in your hand the Entire evening! Good luck!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rose3-
I'm on my second day as well. Last drink was Sunday night, don't really have a strong urge to drink, but then again I haven't really left our property. So far so good for me, but I can totally relate to your issue with the social aspect.

It sounds like you are in a similar situation as myself. You want and need to get sober but you don't want to sacrifice relationships that you valued enough, they probably contributed to your decision to get well.

My wife and I have a large network of friends and family that we spend most of our free time, vacations, and general recreation time with. Most of them drink socially. I have already foreseen that this is going to be one of my biggest hurdles.

My plan so far is to take some "time out" from these folks while I deal with my own issues intensely. And then slowly start to reintroduce these situations into my life. I have already shared this with my wife and asked her to help me in these situations. Luckily, despite my drinking, I have always had enough love and respect for her to obey when she puts her foot down. I am also going to share what I am going through with many of these people.

Best of luck.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just wanted to clarify- removing yourself from the situation I also believe is the best choice. My suggestion of using club soda was only if you decide to stay.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SwanSong View Post
I just wanted to clarify- removing yourself from the situation I also believe is the best choice. My suggestion of using club soda was only if you decide to stay.
I know this isn't directed at me, but this is some great advice that i will definitely b e using in the future.

thank you!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rose3 View Post

I'm going to try to go without any alcohol today. My main concern though is, tonight is a huge day in sports for my family. Although we aren't going to the event, we always make a big thing of watching it at my home.. Sporting events almost always go hand in hand with beer. So this may be tough. Any advice on how to stay strong?
Honest advice?... OK... Skip the sporting event at your home and get to an AA meeting. Why flirt with booze on day 2? There is a saying amonst us alcoholics: "If go into a barber shop enough times, eventually you are going to get a haircut."

Day 2? Great job!!! However, If it were me, hosting a sporting event at my home with beer on day 2, I would have never made day 3. Best of luck.

Zube
Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good Advice, Bikeguy

Yeah Rose- Keep something in your hand like BG said...doesn't have to be a beer--coffee/tea/a lollipop. If your mind is occupied as well with having your family over, then that's great! Also, when you think you want to drink, get busy, clean up after everyone-busy hands, busy mind, you know.
You're 2 days off King Vodka, that's super, keep going!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So this is actually your first full day without alcohol? This is day one...I would be careful with that sports party. Like others say; remove yourself, make sure you are drinking something else...or best yet cancel until you are stronger.
Flirting with disaster comes to mind.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't put myself in that kind of situation in early recovery, especially on day 2 Rose.

D
Old 04-26-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck to you. How about if you pace during the game? You will keep yourself active and alert and really can't drink. Maybe iced tea would keep your energy up.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rose you might want to join us again, don't you think?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The reason that many people go to a rehabilitation facility is because it is nearly impossible to quit drinking while we're in an environment where there is drinking. The physical craving is too strong for us.

Not suggesting you need rehab, just trying to provide context for the difficulty, particularly on Day 2, of fighting a physical craving for alcohol.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 5

I know this post is old but I hope you are doing well. I'm on day 5 and actually searched online with that and came across this blog. I"m so happy to have found it!
Old 12-19-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job Rose on making the decision!!

I'm mad for sports at the weekends, on TV watching soccer, rugby, american football, I used to go to watch these in bars, also I'm a massive fan of going to watch Ice Hockey games most weekends. All used to go hand in hand with large volumes of beer.

The most important thing I found was telling the people I go with, either to a game or a bar to watch on wide screens, if they are fully aware you'll not be included in the rounds of alcoholic drinks, but instead will be having something non alcoholic, it also saves time in the long run and no awkward conversations on the night, also plan before hand which non alcoholic drink your going to go with, so it's on the tip of your tongue when someone asks you what your having, you can't though make it without some of the people around you in your corner, I shared a story a while back on the Forum about a pushy mate trying to buy me a drink and another mate cut him off saying "he's not drinking, leave it".

The other thing is to focus on the benefits, I can't believe how much of the Ice Hockey games I remember now, I now have large volumes of coffee and soda, and wake up fresh the next morning remembering everything about the game, I'm attending a game tomorrow and really looking forward to it, a few weeks ago I feared going to games!!

Though as some others have suggested, you need to be sensible, only you can make that call.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep in mind guys this thread is an old one...I dunno where Rose is now but I hope she's doing well.

Congrats on 5 days LifeWorthLiving
Old 12-19-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Didn't even check the dates!! . . . must be nearly time for my bed lol

Ah well, hope your doing well Rose!!