Notices

Can it be done?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can it be done?

I'm not sober. I have yet to quit but I desperately want to. The problem is that life without booze seems so pointless and boring. Am I doomed?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No you're not doomed.

And I used to think the same way about life being pointless and boring but I had it backwards. Life with booze was pointless and boring; now I'm actually having more fun.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm right where you are Hu99, but I think it's possible. I hope so, at least. Finding this place today and reading through a lot of posts is helping change my perspective.

Good luck to you! Keep reading and posting.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyone has those fears that life will be boring sober, or has those rationalisations that tells us we're one of the those people who will/can never quit...

for the best part of a decade I drank all day every day.
I recently celebrated my 4th anniversary of being sober

It's been tough in parts, but I've found great support here...with some time, effort and commitment I'm living a life now where I'm happy for the first time in my adult life...

and I'm a man who can finally look at himself in the mirror and not look away in shame.

those are great rewards - I know you can get them too

it starts by asking for help, so you're on your way,
Have you thought about seeing a Dr? Detox can be rough sometimes...

welcome Hu99
D
Old 04-25-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hu99 when you say life without brooze is boring. Do you mean life without getting drunk is boring?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum! I think most of us are pretty beaten down and feeling hopeless when we finally decide to get sober. Infact, I know it was that hopelessness that brought me here.

It's about getting through each minute at first, or each hour, and staying sober no matter what. I dealt with boredom the same way - one day at a time. It only sounds impossible when you look at the whole picture, but really the only thing you have to worry about is what's in front of you in this moment. I lived on this forum for the first several days - it's way to hard to do this without support.

You're reaching out and that takes courage, so give yourself a pat on the back!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Life seemed pointless and boring without alcohol when I first thought about getting sober. This is about the time I realized that everything in my life for the last 27 years revolved around drinking. Every friend I have drinks, every event I have ever looked forward to in the last 27 years alcohol was involved. Every place I went I had to plan around how we were going to be drunk. It could be a ballgame, a barbeque, wedding, funeral, day off work, vacation, child birth, golf, bowling, movie, dinner, mowing the lawn, watching football, playing pool, going to the beach or just to relax at the end of the day. Alcohol was so deeply ingrained in my life and it was all I really looked forward to for 27 years.

I quite honestly could not imagine life without alcohol, but then I realized that if I continued drinking I wouldn't have to worry about life for much longer. This is when I realized death seemed more pointless and boring than life without alcohol.

Since then I finally saw that life is what you make of it, and a sober life has been more personally rewarding than 27 years of drinking. It will take effort to accept life without alcohol, and in the beginning it was a challenge for me to fill the voids that alcohol left, but if you truly want to be sober, and you truly want to be happy it is very possible to have both.

Where there is a will there is a way. I wish you luck and hope you don't have to choose between boring and pointless or death. Because that wouldn't really be the choice you have to make.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Supercrew's past experience with alchohol practically echoes mine word for word. First and foremost, though, is that you really "WANT" to quit. You have to know you're ready and to follow suit with whatever you need to do in order to recover. I wish you the best!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had the same fears. I felt like I would lose my sense of humor. Actually my husband says I'm more funny now. When I was tipsy, I thought I was funny and he didn't!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hu99 View Post
I'm not sober. I have yet to quit but I desperately want to. The problem is that life without booze seems so pointless and boring. Am I doomed?
Even though you may not believe it right now, I have full faith in your ability to recover, but you will have to make a decision.

Do you plan to drink again, or not?

There is no better time to decide than right now.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hu99, are you having a lot of fun? If you are having a blast overall then roll on.

If the truth is something different, why not write out the truth about how your life is going currently and post that.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I felt the same way, but that is actually the disease talking. I once thought it impossible to get through more than a few days sober, let alone the 18 months I now have. So yes it can absolutely be done, but you have to give it a chance, and it is helpful to have support and be open to it, even if it goes against our own grain sometimes.