Notices

Could use some advice/support

Old 04-25-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could use some advice/support

Here's my story. All of the men in my family have been alcoholics. My Grandpa on my dad's side is and always will be my hero. He died when I was 7, and i still can't get over that.

I never really drank or partied in High School, but when i graduated in February of last year, I started drinking with my dad alot. (3-4 times a week) not a lot, just 5-6 after work, it was a nice bonding thing.

When I moved up here in August for college, i started drinking and "partying" alot more, most of the time by myself, my tolerance started getting to that of my dad's level. I eventually started going to class after a couple beers. and a couple times while drunk.

I ended up failing out of school because of this. I spent about 3 months without a job, so all i did was sit around drinking all day. I'd wake up, start drinking, and then eventually pass out.

I got a job, but my drinking hasn't stopped or slowed, I still drink in the mornings before work. And this week is the first week I've had noticeable consequences. My right side is absolutely killing me (underneath the rib cage)
I could really use some advice, should I see a doctor?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

I think you should absolutely see a Dr, jwilly - pain should never be ignored.

I'd be honest with them about your drinking - how muchM how often - perhaps they'll have suggestions on what you should do now.

Have you thought of a recovery group like AA?

D
Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome

I think you should absolutely see a Dr, jwilly - pain should never be ignored.

I'd be honest with them about your drinking - how muchM how often - perhaps they'll have suggestions on what you should do now.

Have you thought of a recovery group like AA?

D
I've looked into into AA a little bit, but the whole religious part turns me off a little bit. (i'm an atheist.)
Old 04-25-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are other groups that don't use the Higher Power approach:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I'm not in AA but I know lots of atheists in AA...

I think we owe it to ourselves to look at everything - sometimes it's good not to rule anything out until we try it

D
Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely look into it. Setting up a dr's appointment tomorrow, but i'm not going to my family doctor of 19 years, i wanna keep this quiet for now.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Actually, the more I think about it, it might help going to my own doctor. We're really close, and he helped me get off of marijuana.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're seeing a doctor (it's a really good idea to get medical help with detox anyway). I'm self-employed, so didn't have to answer to anyone if I wanted to drink while working. I kept trying to control it, but found it impossible without help.

Let us know how things go....... we're here for support....:ghug3
Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Glad you're seeing a doctor (it's a really good idea to get medical help with detox anyway). I'm self-employed, so didn't have to answer to anyone if I wanted to drink while working. I kept trying to control it, but found it impossible without help.

Let us know how things go....... we're here for support....:ghug3
thanks for the support brotha. i work everyday until may 5th. So that'll be when i start detoxing because i have about 3 days off. And i know that its going to be rough.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jwilly if your an atheist look into S.O.S. drug - alcohol - addiction - SOS-Save Our Selves - Non 12 Step . They have meetings in every state in the USA. In the meeting they just talk about there problems and alcohol/drugs. No 12 steps or praying. I think you would like that more if your an atheist.

Remember to your not alone and you can always use SR for help.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, and I plan on being quite active on these boards.

one of my best friends, who is moving in with me in may, is being really awesome and supportive about all of this. He doesn't really drink, so that'll be great to have someone like that with me.

Most of my other friends would probably say something along the lines of "lol, why would you do that"

But he's actually confronted me about my drinking before. So it helps knowing that someone close to me, outside of my family, cares.

I just told my other roommate about my plans to quit, and he told me he'd never buy for me again, and he'd make sure there's never any alcohol in our apartment.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

update, I have a doctor's appointment next Tuesday. I didn't tell them that I want to talk to my doctor about my drinking, but i did mention the pain in my side.

As of now, may 5th will be the day I start detoxing.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good Luck To You!

Jwilly-
I wish you a speedy and healthy detox. My dad's side of the family were almost all alcoholics and I inherited that from him. You're doing the right thing to talk w/ your doctor, it's a medical disease, not a moral shortcoming.
It's pretty interesting that you drink before you go to work -- I hope you're driving to your job? Please reconsider that b/c a DWI/DUI will cost you dearly.
But anyway, take good care of you!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by opmloser View Post
Jwilly-
I wish you a speedy and healthy detox. My dad's side of the family were almost all alcoholics and I inherited that from him. You're doing the right thing to talk w/ your doctor, it's a medical disease, not a moral shortcoming.
It's pretty interesting that you drink before you go to work -- I hope you're driving to your job? Please reconsider that b/c a DWI/DUI will cost you dearly.
But anyway, take good care of you!
Thanks for the support, my mom has told me numerous times that I got shafted in the whole "addictive personality" that i inherited through both sides.

And the fact that i drink before work (i have about a 30 minute drive) really opened my eyes and made me realize i need to quit before i end up fired/arrested.

And the fact that I'm only 19 just scares me to death. I can't even buy alcohol, yet I'm always drinking.