Notices

Got through weekend!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got through weekend!

Well on 6 and feeling fresh today about to head to a meeting. The only time this weekend with a thought was Sunday doing yard in the heat and an ice cold beer came to mind and i don't even like beer. LOL I just used to drink one after some yard work because of the bubbly and cold. But all good here no problems, sleeping better, just have a weird cough (not soar throat but a nagging itch when i lay down), still awake till 1 or so but after that seems to be ok with a few tosses. And I told my spouse! Went to chruch yesterday and just had to do it afterward, they were talking about regrets and stuff and hit home a little. It was emotional for her for about 20 minutes. She wasnt mad but upset that I couldnt come forward the same day I quit but it was close enough "day 5" and she is just worried about my well being and health. Have a great day and want to thank everyone for your support.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you and how fortunate you are to have a wife who cares so much.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so proud of you! And I'm glad you told your wife. Don't let this go. I'm glad you'll have her to help you now.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey quit buddy - day 6 for me too! And I did some fairly hefty confessioning yesterday, also. I was bringing my 15 year old daughter back from her friend's house when she slipped into the conversation that that particular friend's mother is an alcoholic who doesn't particularly care whether the daughter is home or not. She drinks all day, and the daughter takes care of herself. They live separate lives.

I took a deep breath, and said to her, "Well you may have something in common with her. I am an alcoholic too. I've been quit 5 days, and I am determined never to drink again. I am sorry for it and any consequences of my drinking that have affected you".

It went quiet for a moment, and she turned to me and said "I thought you were. I was worried about you. But it's never affected me. You have cared for me, loved me, shaped me, you are there for me and your drinking has never got in the way of how good of a mother you've been to me".

Cue stopping at the edge of the road despite all the honks and beeps, for tears and a huge cuddle. Obviously I can't tell her that I nearly died last Tuesday night, I don't want to scare her. Maybe one day, in years to come, I will share it with her (maybe the day after her first college party when she comes home drunk, who knows?), but for now, I think I have to count my blessings that my daughter still loves and respects me even after me being addicted for so very long, and that I've been able to keep it together enough for both my kids.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow , ive got tears in my eyes! That is awesome newwings! I realy appreciate how so many share personal moments on here. This is great we have someone to share emotions and feelings with. I'm fortunate to have a wife that really cares and is by my side on this. She even said after the baby is born that if need be she wont drink wine around me and I told her i'm fine. She never drinks more than 2 glasses maybe 2 times a week anyway. God I wish I could do that but those 2 glasses would turn into 2 bottles real quick for me so I' will pass. Happy MONDAY!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a moment! You've done a great job. Keep doing it.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

H2Q, I remember your first postings, and how you really skipped over the suggestions about telling your wife. I understand that, I really do. I'm so proud of you that you have come so far in 6 days that you can be honest with yourself and HER, too, and that she's on board with you.. I've got a great feeling about you and your future with your daughter and baby on the way
Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on day 6! (you too, newwings!)

It took me at least week to feel strong enough to talk to anyone (except SR). I felt so emotionally drained the first several days, incapable of thinking about doing anything but staying sober. So I can really relate.

It's always nice to get things off our chest, though. And so important to our children that they understand one can meet this problem with courage and honestly. Thanks for a wonderful thread!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

H2Q & Newwings -

Holy crap, guys. Just...thanks. I mean sheesh, neither of you has been around recovery nearly long enough to have "we are as sick as our secrets" drilled into your skulls!

Truly awesome, and thanks again for your example.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

cfp, congrats on day 6! Another quit buddy, that makes we three. All in it together! When you feel yourself wavering, get on here, read, go to a meeting if that's what you are doing already, and PM me if you need to. Always here!! We CAN do this.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on all your day 6s! I'm new and reading about these early and seemingly happy successes is inspirational to me. So thank you so much for sharing.