Notices

One Week Ago Today....

Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Week Ago Today....

.... I woke up hungover with more self-loathing than any one person should have to feel.... I woke up with fear and gloom and anxiety.... and I woke up with a certain resolve that something in my life had to change.

One week ago today I had zero hope.

Seven days sober and I am beginning to see Life with more clarity. I feel better, I sleep better, I have little rays of hope flitting through my day. I still have anxiety to a degree... but it has lessened.

Yesterday, having family over for Easter, I told myself I could have one drink if I wanted to have one drink. Oddly enough, I simply chose not to. I thought about it and I chose not to... not because I was afraid it would begin the cycle again (and it very well may have), but because I did NOT want the alcohol in my body.

I am such a newbie and clearly not out of the woods yet (are we ever?)... but for all of you Day One Newcomers out there..... I wanted to post and let you know that there IS some sunshine after those first four or five horrific days of your beginning quit.

Peace.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there and welcome!

I am a relapser and my sponsor asked me what I am going to do different this time, and I wound up filling a notebook page with things I can do to protect my sobriety.

First thing: make a DECISION not a resolution to stay sober and work a program- it doesn't matter which path you choose- I am not trying to push AA, but that is what has worked for me.

Good luck and God bless,

Libby
Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Cant get out of the woods

LSNP, There are scores of people at AA meetings who have flashlights and can guide you out of the woods.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Thank you LSNP, that was a great post!!

You would be surprised how much inspiration you are giving to evryone here, not just the newcomer!!!

Cathy
Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm right behind you at 5 days. Thanks for sharing the notion of not wanting alcohol in your body!! I hadn't thought of it that way before, and now that I've read it from you, I think that thought will help me, too.

It's funny how sometimes the simplest things go "CLICK!" And other ideas just don't sink in.

Thanks for the encouragement! And BRAVO on one week!!!