Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2. Still feeling pretty good about myself for being able to refrain last evening. Today will be a MUCH easier day as I will not be completely surrounded by alcohol. I have to say that I watched last night as my MIL got completely wasted (alcoholic that had 16 1/2 years sober. Relapsed 1 1/2 years ago) I DO NOT WANT TO BE THAT PERSON She makes me physically ill. She is vulgar, loud, treats her sons & everyone around her horribly and doesn't care about ANYONE but herself. I am glad that there aren't any get-together type holidays for awhile.

I still feel good about doing this. I don't NEED to drink and I don't WANT to do it anymore. Thank you all for your kindness, understanding and support.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you attend AA or other support group ? Do you have a sponsor ?

My experience tells me, that in early sobriety - you should never put yourself in a position where there is drinking, especially with the same people that you used to party with.

Another nugget of knowledge I can share from my experience - if at first, you do not like a group or meeting you went to - PLEASE keep going to other ones until you find one you can actually enjoy attending...
Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think it's great that you have decided to live a sober life.

There is lots of support here.

For me, I could not be around alcohol for a long time when I was beginning recovery. It caused me way too much stress. I did find that shaking up my daily routines was a huge help to me. Drinking in the early evening was my routine, so I decided to take long walks instead and that helped me in so many ways.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Trying2doBetter-2nd day for me as well. We can do it!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies. I value all of your opinions.

TorontoGuy-No, I don't attend meetings, don't have a sponsor, don't do a support group and i don't plan too. My big issue with drinking is the guilt that I feel for doing it at any level. I have always been able to quit after a couple(and usually do). I haven't ever had the problem of not being able to stop once I start. I do, however, suffer from sometimes mind crippling guilt (if that makes any sense) and have made the choice to not put myself into that position anymore. I don't like the fact that members of my family drink, but it's not like they are/were my "party crowd". They are my husbands family and I can't simply walk away from them. As I stated yesterday, the gathering was something we had planned PRIOR to me making this decision yesterday. I did fine with it and I feel empowered for being able to handle it the way that I did. I also believe that each persons
"experience" is probably a bit different...not everything works for everybody and what worked for you may not be a blanket help for all others. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For sure Trying2doBetter, everyone is indeed different.... One thing that I want to add, is that this is a progressive disease... I was a high-bottom alcoholic, still have a great career, wife and a beautiful house with a car to go with it... I did things towards the end when I quit, that 5 years ago I would say that there is no possible way that it would ever happen... All the best and keep posting !!