Notices

cravings

Old 04-23-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cravings

cravings are just hitting me out of nowhere today. I cannot identify a trigger, it is not halt, but my mood is fluctuating. I started thinking about drinking 1 week ago and I am fighting the urge. I ate today 1 whole peach pie and icecream and still want my wine. Any idea, what to replace the cravings with????? other than give in? (I tried exercise did not work). any advice is appreciated.... I called some people but they are all busy today so I am all alone this time....
Old 04-23-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

In the end, I think it's ok to feel a craving. We tend to panic and that can make the craving worse.

Just try and accept it for what it is - I found it best to keep busy, do things that engage you - and reaffirm your commitment to not drinking.

Cravings pass - you know you'll thank yourself later

The ideas in this link might be useful too SASA:
Overcoming Life's Obstacles: Urge Surfing to beat addictions and cravings

D
Old 04-23-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

usually when cravings hit me in the last 3-4 month I could easily ignore them, fight them etc. This one is different, its building and the voice is there telling me to drink. My mind knows it will be wrong to pick up again, I am an alcoholic. In the past I just ate ice cream, chocolate or pies and the cravings disappeared. Not this one. It is like it is coming down to my final fight, I either win this one or go down.... Thats how I feel and why I try reaching out.....
Old 04-23-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you got a support network SASA or is SR it?
I always found reaching out helped as well - whatever support you have use it.

If you think you need more I recommend looking into recovery groups like AA or SMART etc

Don't give into the idea that defeat is inevitable

However uncomfortable it might be right now, it's short term - cravings are finite - nothings as bad as returning to the drinking cycle.

D
Old 04-23-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are no smart groups around here and I went to a few AA meetings, they are just not my thing. All my support is gone with easter tomorrow. They all left, so SR is my only outreach for tonight. I have activities lined up for tomorrow. Also I have problems getting into the SR chat room for some reason my computer does not support it.....
Old 04-23-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

unfortunatly all networks are closed, just the bar that opened last week across the street has tons of people there celebrating....
Old 04-23-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Sasa,

Yea, Meetings aren't really "my thing" either, ....but they really helped me several times when I found myself getting wigged out a few times that first 4th or 5th month.

There's a bunch of us here at SR though. I really agree with Dee that these periods of internal turmoil are a finite experience.

You hang tough tonight, .....getting through some of these rough periods gave me a feeling of strength the following day.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dfw

I tend to view the craving as a challenge and when I get through it, it's just another personal victory.

Tonight I got a passive aggressive text from my ex-girlfriend about some clothes I returned not being hers (I was entirely faithful to her, they might be my roommates' girlfriends that were left in the dryer when I put my stuff in...I really have no idea), and I was at a friend's concert (which happened to be a bar), I wanted to drink, so I stepped outside shaking, but I made it through it. I feel calm about everything and know I am now back on track.

No one said recovery was going to be easy, or quick, just let yourself have a moment of personal satisfaction when you don't drink and it will boost your confidence.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well I faught the craving last night, woke up and still have this desire for alcohol. My mind tells me why not drink, nobody cares anyhow if I drink or not. Maybe its just not my time yet to be and stay sober.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by SASA View Post
well I faught the craving last night, woke up and still have this desire for alcohol. My mind tells me why not drink, nobody cares anyhow if I drink or not. Maybe its just not my time yet to be and stay sober.
Come on, now...that's stinkin' thinkin'. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. What matters is what YOU think. Go do something to get your mind off it. Don't know where you live, but if possible, get outside in the fresh air. Go to a park and look at the blooming flowers and trees. There are things you can do until the cravings pass. Play the tape all the way through. You quit drinking for a reason. Don't forget that.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Go back and read your old posts SASA...remind yourself of what's at stake here.

I agree with others - if this is an obsessive thought, lasting more than just a few hours it's time to try other approaches...maybe give AA a go again or try another recovery group, or some counselling.

There's a lot of healthy decisions you can make today - anything but going backwards.

Whatever you do don't resign yourself to drinking - that's not at all a healthy solution to this situation.

D
Old 04-24-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SASA. Look into SOS meetings. They are like AA but without praying and 12 steps.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks to all, I went outside this afternoon and worked in the yard. I could relax a little bit. While I was working I came to the conclusion I need to change things and the most important thing is cutting toxic people out of my life. I said before it is not a halt symptom, that was not true, I was lonely. I signed up for volunteering at a homeless shelter over the easter weekend, but a friend convinced me to go and drive with him to a celebration. I accepted and as always he cancelled last minute. Not only that but he blamed me on the phone for it.
I think my chances are:
- improve support network. I have 4 wonderful friends to hang out, however I neglected them latly, time to catch up. They are all non drinkers
- cutting toxic people out of my life,
stop dating or doing any kinds of relationships, they distract me immensly and I am done dealing with needy insecure men. I seem to attract them and until I change myself I will stop dating and looking for people.
- Setting boundaries for me. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me
- I should learn from my mistakes.
and last and not least start loving and believing in myself!!!!!
If this does not help I will give AA meetings a try
How does this sound?
Any other thoughts?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

oh and I did not drink
Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I was "new" and was having cravings I had a list of things I would do. First, I went to AA daily. Sometimes twice a day. I read the BB. I participated in this site. I would clean the hell out of my house and car. I would do nice things for me wife without being asked. I'd call people in the program or family members and ask them how their day was going. I'd share what I was feeling with trusted people in the program. I'd make my bed. I'd do laundry. I'd take a walk, play golf, or do yardwork. I'd also pray to my HP and ask him to help me. And I took / take a lot of naps.

There were many days, that I did every single thing on this list. I did them so much that now (after 4 months) I do most of them out of habit. I do know that sitting around and waiting for a craving to pass has never worked very well. I have to get busy in the solution. All of the things I suggested are productive activities that help me get out of my own way.

If I can do this, anyone can. Our feelings follow our actions! If you can change you actions your emotions will follow.