Notices

finally ....peace with myself

Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

finally ....peace with myself

clean n sober since july,7,2010 and i feel good ive been noticing my disease trying to creep back up on me the other day for some reason i kept thinking about getting high.... i mean even things i never cared for not just about my drug of choice..meth... but i was thinking about maybe a pill,n then my brain said well maybe a beer i kept pushing the thoughts out and eventually they went away but it was really weird after all this time.....
Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! My experience with using drugs was the better part of my life...from age 12 to age 40. 9 months into my recovery did not seem like "after all this time" to me.

Our program (NA) mentions to "give ourselves a break". For me, 9 months was indeed a break. Thank goodness I got a sponsor and worked the steps! It's simply not natural for us addicts to never think of using, especially early in our recovery. I do understand that it seems "really wierd" when using doesn't come after thinking it!

It's the right thing to do to admit these thoughts and expose them for what they are. Congratulations!
This disease of addiction dies in the light of exposure.
If I may suggest that next time you get such thoughts, call another recovering addict and tell them about it...and then come here and tell us how quickly the thoughts went away. The quicker you call...the quicker they go away.

Do you have numbers of other recovering addicts to call?

Peace,
Missy
Old 04-23-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

It's the right thing to do to admit these thoughts and expose them for what they are.
I totally agree.

Every blue moon I have thoughts of using as well, but they're just thoughts or memories. I know I don't have to act on them and I never have to use again.

Thanks for sharing.

G
Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yea i have numbers and i call people...if nobody answers i spill my guts to a answering machine and get myself busy i know i got a long road ahead of me ...but i also know ....im sober for today and i thank god for that....thanks for ur input
Old 04-24-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuvInDaisy View Post
May I suggest reading the 12 traditions.

I'm not working the 12 steps. It's not killing me. I'm not miserable.
I didn't used today. I don't have a desire to go use. I don't belive in GOD.
My life isn't a mess or filled with truama or chaos. I don't have controll issues.lol
Welcome LuvInDaisy

Please share what works for you. We use this forum to discuss steps and our experiences as we go. Others will want to know what you do so they can consider it for themselves.
Have you been clean for a while?

Peace,
Missy
Old 04-24-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

May I suggest reading the 12 traditions.
Here's a question: What does reading the 12 Traditions have to do with thinking about getting high? I mean, if you're offering someone help...it may just be helpful to explain how reading the 12 Traditions helped you.

I'm not working the 12 steps. It's not killing me. I'm not miserable.
I didn't used today. I don't have a desire to go use. I don't belive in GOD.
My life isn't a mess or filled with truama or chaos. I don't have controll issues.lol
Okay...and your point is?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aprilmae3375 View Post
...if nobody answers i spill my guts to a answering machine
LOL I know that one!! Good for you.

We do what we have to!

Peace,
Missy
Old 04-25-2011, 01:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Leprechaun

(gg)

Last edited by Leprechaun; 04-25-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: capitalizing
Old 04-25-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Originally Posted by LuvInDaisy View Post
The 12 traditions give you salutions. Living principles to practice and apply in your life.
The 12 traditions also give you salutions for working with other addicts and other people in general.
The 12 traditions also protect the group and recovering addicts from control freaks.
Okay...although you aren't sharing how the 12 Traditions have helped you specifically, I'll bite and respond:

The program of Narcotics Anonymous (which is the 12 Steps) offers it's members the solution to their ultimate problem - themselves. The 12 Steps contain spiritual principles that are written so simply that we can follow them in our daily lives...and we practice them in all of our affairs (as our 12th Step states). Because spiritual principles are never in conflict with one another, when we live the program we find that they generally overlap or co-exist. Simply put, we don't practice one principle without practicing many others at the same time. So when we talk about practicing the principles in all our affairs it's important to remember that NA tells us that we must first learn to practice these principles in our personal lives before we attempt to apply them in our service efforts...which is what the 12 Traditions are basically about (fellowship unity and service).

"To practice the principles of recovery in all our affairs is what we strive for. Both in and out of meetings, no matter who is involved, no matter how difficult it may seem, we make the principles of recovery the guides by which we live." ~ IWH&W, page 122

When you read the 12 traditions, you're learning about something new?
When you learn something new, it opens your mind. Plus you're not focus
on getting high? When you practice and apply something new in your life, you're
not doing the samething over and ove again? When you stopped doing
the samething over and ove again, you're making changes in your life?
Recovery is about changing?

See how simple that is?
These are all questions that I'd be interested in reading YOUR answers to. And keeping with the topic of this thread...I'd also like to read how YOUR answers relate to having thoughts of using or averting using thoughts. Sharing your experience would come across as much more helpful than giving advice.

G

PS - I've been clean quite a while, I live the program AND I'm very familiar with the 12 Traditions. Yet, none of that has prevented me from having a using thought, idea or even a using dream. As Stugotz says, "I'm just sayin....."
Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

LOL
Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yeah some things are pretty obvious and evident
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Originally Posted by Missybuns View Post
yeah some things are pretty obvious and evident
Amen.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Whats wrong with having using thoughts?
For me, I accept that thinking about using is something that will come and go. The key for me is not to dwell on those thoughts or glamorize any memories I have of using. Thinking of using can be a problem for newer members or addicts who haven't been relieved of the obsession to use. Thoughts of using can continue to be a problem for some addicts, but my experience has taught me that as long as I don't act on those thoughts all will be well.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

We are not called addicts for nothing. Of course we think of using. I submit we have no control over that. Once the thought "left-fields" us, it enters the conscious realm, it's an immediate fork-in-the-road. So there it is, I can go left or right. If I continue to dwell I'm asking for trouble. Sometimes I have trouble even without dwelling. I can't beat myself up if the thought comes, but I try to deal with it. If I still have trouble I talk to someone. Still, I don't feel like any of this guarantees my sobriety. But it's all I have.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

Hey heres a wacky idea; the self love and acceptance you say is so crucial, maybe you ought to try that on other people. Your posts, if I may, and I may, are like shards of broken glass in a teddy bear. They're a combination of self-affirmation and sardonic criticism, at who I'm not sure (maybe NA?) and then you add things like "I shouldn't judge or ridicule." I agree, don't compare, but I gotta ask, what exactly is your beef?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
MadamMudslinger

Smile

It hasn't been quite a month since I took my last drink, but I feel better now then I did the day I decided to quit. Just flowing with the river and letting go is becoming easier. I date a guy who drinks and not sure how long this relationship will last, but when we go out I order a Shirley Temple! We are going to the Jazz Festival in New Orleans next week and I will not be drinking, but enjoying the food! I will bring my sketch book and pencils while I listen to the music. I do not feel I am missing out on anything by quitting...Just taking this one day at a time.

Peace always.

MM
Old 05-26-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great quote!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Subuser79 View Post

Great quote!
Something I learned in Narcotics Anonymous
Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

ive been clean for 11 months now
Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

April...that's good to know...