Holiday sadness

Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holiday sadness

Being raised a Catholic, my family has always celebrated Easter with as much reverence as Christmas. It was usually a joyous time with spring in the air and big family get togethers.

I'm really struggling today with missing my adult children and having them over. I'm working this weekend, so we couldn't get together even if I wanted to.

To top it off, my AD is pretty much homeless right now. She is attending a meth clinic. Her boyfriend went back up north to get his life together. She came for a small visit this am and her daughter cried when she left. I wanted so much to tell her stay here for the weekend and be with your daughter for the holidays. She said God is providing her a decent place to sleep every night so far and she knows he won't let her down. I actually admire her faith at this point.

But, I can't go through kicking my adult children out of the house again. We even talked about it and she said she understood. I see a small change in her and I want to open my house and let all my adult children come over for the weekend, just to have them near me. But I'm scared of going back to square one and the insanity starting over again. I guess I finally hit my bottom in the recent past and I don't want to go there again.

Anne's previous post about "waiting" in Language of Letting Go brought me back on track. I can't make a decision on my feelings today. I simply need to feel my sadness and stick to my recovery program.

Thanks for listening and special prayers are being said for all families and thier loved ones who can't be present during this holiday season (Easter).
Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hope2be,

tough time, holidays. I can surely understand your sadness and pain. I too am having a holiday issue, tho not so complicated as yours, with a grandbaby involved.
Sending prayers for your family and you, that somehow, a bright spot will appear this Easter holiday, and give you comfort. You are doing so much for your family. Bless you, and yours.
hugs
chicory
Old 04-22-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hope2be View Post

I simply need to feel my sadness and stick to my recovery program.
Learning to sit with the saddness/emptiness/ lonliness while embracing our own recovery is what this special place is all about.

Thank you for this.

Hope you don't mind, I embellished your words.

Sitting with it is maturity.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was sad the past couple of Easters too w/my kids.But I had barbq's at my house with good friends both years and enjoyed myself in a differnt way..this year both my kids will be here..next year who knows?i had to sit with my sadness too..
Old 04-23-2011, 03:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
it is what it is

i understand the sadness of not being able to have family together on special (or even the not so "special" days) - the funny thing is there are various reasons this can happen to a family - my two older boys are married with kids and living out of state so they are not readily accessible - my youngest is in prison - but there is comfort in knowing they are all safe and living in positive situations at this time - (may sound strange to say that about my son in prison - but he doing much better than he was on the outside chasing the high) - i'm sorry your sadness comes from addiction rather than distance or other extenuating circumstances - keep working your program and finding peace in your life - that will be a better memory than trying to have your family together and it turning into another stressful time for you - prayers are with you for comfort and pease
Old 04-23-2011, 03:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope2be,

As I came on SR this morning, my heart was filled with the same sadness.
I empathize, am right there with you, and hope you can feel this warm hug I am sending you.

Happy Easter! Love to all.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your strength shines through!

Though staying the course and remaining strong can be especially difficult and painful during holidays, it may be comforting to think that the effects of your choices and actions will be an invaluable gift to you and your family.

Wishes for a peaceful weekend and brighter days ahead.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

My prayers and good thoughts are with you and your family and all who have to sit with the sadness and loneliness that addiction in our lives may bring.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Holidays are hard for me too... and lots of folks.

Tonight I am going to force myself to go to mass this evening (am Catholic too, Easter was a huge deal growing up). I don't really practice anymore but just to be in that environment may be a comfort to me.

Are you able to go to a mass this weekend? Not sure if it will help but coming from a huge Catholic family to going to Mass by myself is hard except I think it will really help me so that is why I suggest it
Old 04-23-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hope2be
Holidays and traditional "family times" are very difficult for those of us who have an addict in the family.

My prayers will be with you this weekend as you find your peace with this special holiday. Remembering it's purpose and meaning is particularly helpful. "For God so loved the world".........and our addicted loved ones are included in that world. God loves them. They are children of this universe.

gentle hugs,
ke
Old 04-24-2011, 01:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the prayers/support.
Working, but just wanted my SR family to know how much I appreciate the bonds formed. Happy easter