Thank you...

Old 04-21-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you...

Six years ago I first walked into an Al-Anon meeting... scared & wondering if I was in the right building... my AH had told me to just look for a bunch of sad people and I'd know I was in the right place. A small group of four folks were there. They were kind and gentle... didn't tell me what to do or what I'd done wrong. Simply smiled and were kind to me as they changed the format of their meeting that night to make it a First Step meeting. I didn't have any cash with me and dear woman gave me the ODAT blue book, told me I could pay her the next time I came. And they were nice to me. Period. I was broken, soul-sick, ashamed and emotionally eroded. That first meeting was an open door to a better life. Not a better outcome in my life, but a better life for myself... and as the 12th step says, "in all our affairs" so the principles applied themselves to all of my affairs.

I want to say thank you to all who welcome that newcomer when he/she walks in the door for the first time... the ones who truly work the program and do not offer advice, do not shame or condemn, and practice what this program advises us to do: offer 1.) experience 2.) strength and 3.) hope.

This program literally saved my life. If someone had not been there for me I would not have found that open door. Thank you for being there so that I could be here today.

Happy Anniversary to Me!

Lori
Old 04-22-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Thank you so much for sharing this powerful, heartfelt message.
...wow...
Al-Anon has saved me, too. I love this better life of mine.
And my friends in Al-Anon (and this forum) have made that happen.

Thank you.