How often do you attend Al-Anon meetings?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How often do you attend Al-Anon meetings?

Churches talk about "Easter Bunnies" -- those people who only come to church at Easter.

I think I'm sort of the Al-Anon equivalent of an Easter Bunny. (Taking inventory...)

During times of crisis, I go to every meeting I can find. Right now, one a day isn't enough. I feel like I think a newly sober A feels. I need the support around me all the time, constantly, I'm afraid of being alone and unable to handle the thoughts and anxiety, I'm craving the wisdom of others who have lived through worse and who get that moving ahead with what you know is the right thing to do can still tear your heart right out of your chest.

And then when things settle down, I go less often. Maybe once a week. I get irritated at people who are in other places of their journey than I am. I get impatient. I don't feel like I get an awful lot out of the meetings. And so I go once a month, then skip a month,.

It's sort of like a yo-yo diet, and about as effective as one. And it is something I want to change about myself. Because I'm convinced that some crises would be averted if I had the awareness and acceptance to take action that meetings always give me -- they calm me down and allow me to listen to myself. And when I don't, I stick my fingers in my ears and go "LALALALALA" until the next emotional wave smacks me down and I'm back to OMG why aren't there all-day meetings?

How about you?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I usually go once a week. I have a "home group" in which I feel very comfortable and like family. When I am feeling anxious or I am having some bad days I go to a few a week. I know if I miss I feel "out of sorts". I try to at least read from the books daily. It helps me get on the right track each day. I also have a little pocket card in my car that has some of the slogans and the serenity prayer for when I need it.
It sounds like you are realizing what you need to help yourself.

awareness, acceptance, action.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went four times a week at first..now I go two..I haven,t missed a week in a year and a half..i need it and I know it..
Old 04-22-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

I have a home group, that meets on Tuesday nights.
Since I started going for real, I haven't missed a night there, excluding two giant snowstorms, and the day after Valentine's Day (I was nervous to leave my apartment that night, because he was in my parking lot the day before).
Some weeks help more than others, but my group for the most part are people who have been going for years and years, so there is a lot of experience in the room, and a small attendance day usually has at least ten.

If I feel I need another meeting aside from my usual one, I will usually look one up and go, although not always. It takes a lot for me to skip my usual meeting, though, because I have decided that's what I'm doing Tuesday nights, so now it's routine, and it feels good to have a planned event every Tuesday.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My home group meets twice a week; I have been going both days up until last week when I was too busy. Missing one entire week really threw me off and I could feel it...if that makes sense. So I decided to make sure it continues to be a priority.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

i go once a week for sure at my HOME GROUP ( i love my group, Wednesday nites) but now that i am off during the day...i can now go to many meetings i like, and not only al anon meetings, but AA too...I miss my AA friends that i met at FRIENDS OF RECOVERY, my AUNT had a cafe with meetings there, its closed now, but still miss the inspiration i got from my AA fellowship friends
Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good Question and I have the answer...

...sort of.

I go twice a week normally. Occasionally less (life gets busy sometimes), and occasionally more (when I'm coming off the rails).

I've learned over the years that if I don't go at least twice a week the likelihood of me having a relapse of some sort is relatively high. Then my jackass quotient increases substantially and I say or do something not consistent with who I want to be and how I want to live.

Take care,

Cyranoak
Old 04-22-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

going to AL ANON meetings for me keep in me tact....thank god!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started off going once a week if that. Basically, whenever I felt uneasy about something, I felt a pull towards alanon. But today for example, where I have just made a major breakthrough in my own recovery as I see it, which also puts my relationship at risk (of my own doing), I feel like I need to go to every meeting there is, today. I know that if I don't keep going probably 1-2 times/week or more from here on out, I will start to lose myself in the chaos again (when it happens) and alanon (and SR) are gonna be the things that keep me afloat.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been going once a week (just went to my 5th meeting) but I would love to be able to go a few more times a week right now. With 3 kids and all the things that go with running the house I can't find the time for more . I am thinking once summer is here I will be able to. I am also thinking I might try to go at night, but I am so tired by the end of the day.

Once things calm down I too am worried that I may stop going as much and I know that would be a huge mistake. I am right here and now making a commit to myself that until I fully understand all that alanon is and until I am healthy again (maybe healthy for the first time ever) I will continue to go as often as I can.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I go a couple of times a month and I know it's not enough. I could go more often but I don't make it a priority. I don't make myself a priority. Goes with the territory I suppose.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I go once a week now that I found a group I like. Someone mentioned another meeting but it is farther away. I feel like I may need more than once a week sometimes and other times if I skip a week, no biggie. I am doing it for me. And the folks in the group I go to now are so warm and inviting so it is nice to have that welcome regardless of how I am feeling. They 'get' it.

I am not doing the steps and right now just making it to a meeting is a big thing for me.