Notices

Saturday will be day 20

Old 04-21-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dfw

Saturday will be day 20

Saturday will mark day 20 for my sobriety. I've come to some startling conclusions about myself.

1. I worry too much about things that are entirely out of my control.
2. I was holding back on changing careers because I'd "lose time to go out"
3. Time is a cold hearted bitch that really does "fly by when you're having fun" and slow to a relatively cantankerous pace when life presents you with difficulties.
4. I feel like I can write/speak like I actually went to a top tier University now.
5. I'm starting to actually feel like myself again.

It's been emotionally extreme, like many other posters have pointed out, but I think therapy is helping more than the handful of AA meetings I've been to. AA made me feel powerless and guilty, something that conflicts with me on a deeply personal level. It did how ever point out that I was missing a spiritual component of my life and that my problems are valid to one person, myself. I've begun to really delve into Buddhism, an interest of mine I've had since college (raised Catholic, but never really felt Catholic). I just finished reading "The Art of Happiness" by the Dalai Lama, and I have to say...it has radically shifted my perspective on day-to-day life. It's easier to be sober when practicing kindness and compassion with everyone you meet.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sooo much like you. 22 days ago, I stressed out about stuff that I had no control over. Even knowing I had no control over it, stressed me out. Today is 21 days of sobriety for me and I feel like the 'me' that I love. I am currently reading The Addicted Brain and a workbook about keeping stress down.

Press on!!!!! You can do it
Old 04-21-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dfw

I should also add that on Friday night I bumped into my ex-girlfriend at local event, it was the first time I'd seen her since my drunken explosion. It was awkward, and I froze like a deer in headlights when I saw her, but I couldn't help but smile as I was happy to see her. She smiled back, and it all felt very genuine, the conversation was pretty tense, but it inspired me to write her an apology letter. She got the letter and was thankful for the apology, and now time marches on...still not much communication from her.

I have to keep telling myself, priority number 1 is getting my life sorted out for my own sanity/benefit. After that, the possibilities for the future are pretty infinite.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And with each day that passes, we start to think more clearly. Don't know about you but I have really figured some things out in these last 21 days that I couldnt do before.

Good for you and the apology letter. Now look into changing that career
Old 04-21-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dfw

Originally Posted by indakut View Post
And with each day that passes, we start to think more clearly. Don't know about you but I have really figured some things out in these last 21 days that I couldnt do before.

Good for you and the apology letter. Now look into changing that career
I absolutely have figured out a lot of things I couldn't before.

And I figured out how to go to school part-time to change my career while still holding down my current job. I'm looking to go into health care, since it's where my passion has been all along. All it took was some sobriety and remembering how to do a cost/benefit analysis from Econ 101.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SEE! Keep it up! You will also be saving a TON of $
Old 04-21-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dfw

Originally Posted by indakut View Post
SEE! Keep it up! You will also be saving a TON of $
I already noticed that in my bank account yesterday! I was like wait...I paid my bills and I'm not broke?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Me too!!!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good for you on 20 days!

I've had lots of little revelations in sobriety too. Now there is space in my head for new ideas. I can relate to what you said about worrying - applying "one day at a time" with everything in my life has really helped me change my stress level.

Keep up the good work!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 20 days dfw

D
Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job on the 20 days, every time think about how much $$ I spent on booze I kick myself, funny how while I was drinking I never thought about how much it added up, not only in cash but health and lost time.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

$10 bucks a day for me! I pint of vodka plus about 2 boxes of wine a week so about $110 a week, $440 a month $5280 a year. Now i think where that money could have gone the last 2 years. Childs college fund! Well now that I have seen the light my 18 month old will have 3/4 of her college paid for before she is 18! Plus hopefully i don't have any medical problems steming from this so future money to be saved there. Way to many reasons to list but you all know what they are. Blessings