Notices

My First AA Meeting- 5 months sober

Old 04-20-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First AA Meeting- 5 months sober

I am sober since Thanksgiving, about 5 months. It has been a relatively smooth ride (anything can be considered a smooth ride compared to drinking days) but lately I have been having thoughts of returning to drinking.
I kind of knew ahead of time that this may come about. (alcohol=cunning, baffling, powerful). How can you hate something so much, something that has the power to destroy your life and the lives around you, and then suddenly one day you can say to yourself, "Well, was it really that bad?" or "I think I can control this" (The answers to those are YES! and NO! respectively)
For the whole 5 months I did not do AA. I have kept the meeting directory in my car just in case. Well, this seemed like agood time to go. I went last night and, although I can't really say it was the answers to everything, it sure is a nice cozy place to hide from those nagging thoughts.
I don't know if I will return, but I am happy that it is there. I just wanted to share with you guys. (Since I was too shy to share at the meeting....)
Old 04-20-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mornin, Glad to hear you gave it a shot. Now it won't be so scary if you want to go again. You are never required to speak at a meeting other than giving your first name. If you do let them know that your new and a little uneasy, you'll find people will go out there way to put you at ease.

Best wishes, Ron
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

marcia definetly give it a chance. I've met some of the most wonderful people I have ever met in my life in AA. It's nice to be around people with the same directives as you too. Keep an open mind when you go. Not everyone has something good to say but the ones that do will seem like they are speaking directly to you. The meetings I attend I usually find there is at least one thing I've learned, usually much more. And often something that has been on my mind.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 months Marcia! That's fantastic. I think you made a very wise decision to address your drinking thoughts by seeking help. I hope you go back and get some tools to stay in recovery. Anything to empower yourself is a blessing IMO.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. This is a great place to get help as well. Thankful for all who post on here. XO