Notices

passages

Old 04-19-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

passages

I just saw this on TV. They were advertising the book. I was curious.
Thoughts on this?

Passages Malibu Drug Rehab & Alcohol Rehab Addiction Treatment Cure Center
Old 04-19-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I think you're referring to The Alcoholism and Addiction Cure by Prentiss.

I liked it. It was very helpful to me in my early recovery.

There's a lot of criticism about the treatment center, and the cost, etc.. but I knew nothing of that when I enjoyed the book, I liked the perspective that was presented about dependency on (alcohol, drugs, food, sex, etc), and it seemed to resonate with me more than other books I had been reading. My addiction counselor at the time had recently read it and highly recommended it to me during my therapy with him.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just curious. There are so many 'things' out there.
I only caught a glimpse of the book on TV before I realized what they were talking about and that site came up so I don't know...LOL
I wonder how expensive that treatment is!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like it. It makes a lot of sense and it's what I thought about addiction all along. Of course, that place is waaaay out of my range in price, but I guess for some that can afford it, it's a good way.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i listened to the audio book while i was activly drinking, "The Alcoholism and Addiction cure, A holistic approch to total recovery".
The idea sounds good but for me the idea of a cure for alcoholisim is dangerous, i did enjoy the book, they talked about discovering the underlying causes of alcoholisim and other depenencys.

i guess to be fair i should listen or read it again while i am in recovery, im just not sure it will ever be healthy for me to think im recovered.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just to comment on the SomethingBetter's post- if I recall correctly the father/son commercial claims to have a 'cure' for alcoholism. I have a friend who's parents put him in passages in somewhere (not L.A.) and it ran like $40,000+. He said it was fun to have a dedicated acupuncturist, psychiatrist, fitness coach, etc.

Then he got out and joined AA.

I guess my personal belief is that these people feed off of the idea that you can actually 'cure' yourself of drug addiction or alcoholism. I have yet to meet a real addict or alcoholic who claims they are cured. I see danger in this approach and it feels as though they are just making $$ off of the pain and misery of others while offering a something that most of believe is untrue (a cure).

Now, I haven't read the book and perhaps it's a good read. But then so is the Big Book, the little Red Book, Living Sober, and whole slew of others. The difference is none of them tell you that you'll be cured. If their book claims you can be cured, I'd be inclined to feel it's probably more dangerous than useful. Just my humble opinion, and again, that's without reading the book. Maybe I'll ask my friend if I can borrow his :-P
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SwanSong View Post
Just to comment on the SomethingBetter's post- if I recall correctly the father/son commercial claims to have a 'cure' for alcoholism. I have a friend who's parents put him in passages in somewhere (not L.A.) and it ran like $40,000+. He said it was fun to have a dedicated acupuncturist, psychiatrist, fitness coach, etc.

Then he got out and joined AA.

I guess my personal belief is that these people feed off of the idea that you can actually 'cure' yourself of drug addiction or alcoholism. I have yet to meet a real addict or alcoholic who claims they are cured. I see danger in this approach and it feels as though they are just making $$ off of the pain and misery of others while offering a something that most of believe is untrue (a cure).

Now, I haven't read the book and perhaps it's a good read. But then so is the Big Book, the little Red Book, Living Sober, and whole slew of others. The difference is none of them tell you that you'll be cured. If their book claims you can be cured, I'd be inclined to feel it's probably more dangerous than useful. Just my humble opinion, and again, that's without reading the book. Maybe I'll ask my friend if I can borrow his :-P
Keeping my mind open to other's comments I had the same thought as you Swan. I've never 'heard' of a cure. I'm sure if there was a cure they'd be all over the map and could give AA a run for their money.
Joining AA would contradict everything your friend learned for that 40 grand. I woud be curious why he felt the need to continue with AA if he was cured.
Hmm...inquiry minds...LOL
Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh he's not. He just said it was fun to have all those 'personal' therapists and doctors (his parents are loaded).

And my discussion with him didn't center on the cured part of their program but a look at their website say's something like '...effective rehabilitation treatment to completely cure your addiction.'

Hmm, yea. Scary!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

He's not cured or not in AA?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a personal staff either!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Passages got outed a while back, in what appeared to be an attempt to promote their 'cure' they were cutting their clients loose sans AA-they were actually telling their clients to avoid AA, some of these folks got burned badly.

Apparently Passages has re-evaluated their stance on AA and is now using it.

I get really disturbed when people try to capitalize on the misery of others, there has to be a special place in hell reserved for them.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Haha Emerald! He's not cured!

I don't want to bash their book if it had helped others as in single it out.

My issue is with any doctor or rehab that instills false hope that true drug addiction or alcoholism can be 'cured'. Because that idea, IMHO can be deadly. And that's not cool, esp. When someone is sick and vulnerable. That's all. Its not a passages specific opinion
Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The most recent ad I noticed has Presntissess son .an ex addict
ending his pitch with ...
"this is not a 12 Step program...it really works"

Well...I hope so....but why the snide remark?

Take a look around SR....you will see many successful long
term members who use a variety of methods. .....

I've not read the book or been to a treatment center ..so can't
comment on those.
I went off to AA and there I've stayed....

It's no secret that AA is not for everyone ..our BB states that.
I suspect not all who go thru the Passages treatment stay sober either.
Yes they claim a high % do...but who is doing the counting?
The only DOS i know for certain is my own...

Old 04-20-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have not read the book or been to the rehab center. Nor have i done extensive research on it. I did glance through one of his books -- The Cure for Alcoholism -- one day at the book store.

I am leery of any program or book or person who suggests there is a cure for alcoholism. I simply do not believe that is true. But if it works for people, gets them sober, that is great.

To each their own path to sobriety. I choose AA. It works for me, and my life is vastly different today than it was 11 months ago. Heck, than it has ever been.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The cure is in effect as long as one does not drink... if it works, great!! Go for it... I read it. But it's no more a cure than AA or any other abstinence based recovery program.