O/T My Dad

Old 04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O/T My Dad

We've just spent a weekend away, me and the kids, my mum and dad and my mums sister.

It was bliss, being together, having loads of spa treatments, relaxing, good weather good food etc.

But myself and my Aunt have realised what my mum has been covering up.
I'm sure after living in the same accommodation for 3 days, that my dad has Alzheimers.
There isn't a lot you can hide when you all live in the same place for any length of time.

I've also found out this weekend that both of my grandparents on my mother side has problems with alcohol, apparently my grandad never worked a Monday!

I've discovered lots this weekend but my Dads mental health is the most important for the moment.

There is no way I can spak to my mum about this, I tried while we were away but she buried her head in the sand. Although she did admit that he wasn't quite how he should be.

He drove along the motorway as if he was drunk, no idea of space or how close he was cutting in front of people! Two fo my kids were in his car on the way there, but they weren't on the way back!

I've made an appointment with my Doctor, who is also my dads doctor for next week, I'm going to tell him all my concerns and see what he advises. I know he cant tell my dad that I've told him anything, but I'm not sure what he cn do with the information I give him.
I've checked
Alzheimer's Association - 10 Signs of Alzheimer's

and my dad scores 10/10 on there, I know it will take more tests than that but I work with people with Alzheimers and my nan had it, I know what it is!

I don't know if I sound like a raving codie here but I need to get his licence taken off him before he kills someone! My mum doesnt drive so she quite happily sits beside him while he pulls in with 5 yards space in front of a big truck!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, Lucy. I'm not sure how it works, but I'm fairly certain that driver's licenses can be pulled for medical reasons, and I would think that this whould count as one.

My grandfather's license was pulled after he had a stroke. (I was fairly young, so I may have misunderstood the family discussion.) It was hard on everyone involved, but definitely for the best. A few years before that, one uncle was seriously injured and we'd lost Grandma in a head on collision where the other driver was an elderly gentleman who shouldn't have been driving.

I hope your doctor can point you in the right direction and get you the information you need on both the medical and license fronts. Big, big hugs and wishing you peace and strength!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Oh man.

I think talking to the doc is a good idea -
I don't think it's so much 'codie' as it is
the whole 'here we go' thing
that happens when life gets very very real.

I am grateful there's people like you
who are willing to do what it takes
to stop people from driving when it's not right.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I don't believe talking with the doctor is codie at all. I believe it is out of love for your father and seeing his debilitated condition.

If you can remember, ask the Dr about some of the newer Alzheimer medications that are out now. They don't 'cure' it, but they do 'push it way back' and give the sufferer a more 'normal' life that they do 'remember' for a lot longer.

Again, I am sure the Dr will tell you what needs to be done to get his license removed if there is no hope with medication.

It will probably mean more 'work' for you (just when things were settling down) to take them on errands or do their errands, but anything to keep your mom and dad safe.

No you are not a codie.

J M H O

Love and hugs,