Notices

It's time to be done

Old 04-19-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile It's time to be done

Hi I'm new to this site and I have been reading some of the posts on here for a couple of days and decided to finally post myself. I am ready to quit drinking and keep it that way. I have decided to taper myself off using beer. I have never liked hard alcohol just wine or beer. But I have had it almost every night for I don't even know how long. I don't drink during the day only after I get off of work. But I feel like it is alot, 6 16 oz. beers a night or a bottle of wine if I am in the mood for that instead. I know it is a problem because number 1 I dont even get drunk off of that much alcohol just a good buzz while I'm making dinner and picking up and doing my usual evening stuff then I go to bed. number 2 I have started to depend on that nightly routine of getting right home and cracking open a beer or pouring a glass of wine. Matter of fact I can't wait to get home to do so. And honestly I feel like it has been that way for a long while now. It is time to stop and get myself out of this because I feel like it is only going to get worse with time. I feel like my tolerance for the alcohol is getting such that it is taking more to get the same result. I decided to taper down because it is going to be the easiest for me so I dont get sick. Don't know if I even will at the level I'm drinking but I do kinda feel a little icky and anxious before I get that first drink in my at night so I feel like that is a sign. I had 6 16 oz beers last night and am only going to get a 6 pack of 12 oz. tonight so that would be cutting out 2 beers technically. And go down from there. I am praying this works. I am a pretty strong woman and I have made up my mind to do this so keep me in your prayers. And ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. Glad I find this site. I'm sure it is going to help in the coming days and when I am finally alcohol free for good.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Just wanted to welcome you to the site. There is a lot of wisdom and knowledge to be gained here. I'm sure others will be along to offer advice and support soon. Congratulations on your decision to quit, it can only be a good thing. Take care.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck! I was a beer drinker myself, just thinking about it makes me want to go and get some. ><

You're right that it will get worse with time, you sound like a problem drinker. As they say, quit while you're ahead!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision. The nightly routine is very familiar to me and the need to make a change ate at me for a long time too. The need to just end the routine is still very fresh, but feels amazing. Good luck and I wish you much success!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, TXRed! It sounds like you are at the right place at the right time. It's great you see the problem with your drinking. Best wishes to you in the days ahead. Please keep posting!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum!

My drinking was about the same as yours right before I quit. I could go for days without alcohol if I had to, but on a typical day it was the thing I looked forward to the most.

I did a taper with beer for a few days in preparation to stop, but then had a night of drinking my usual amount and that's when I made my first post. I'm so glad I did. Keep posting and reading and let us know how things go. We all need support to do this!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome... keep reading and posting! We need you as much as you need us!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My daily routine of drinking for unwinding after a
day with family became a bore for me. Day after
day doing the same thing I wanted action. I wanted
music, dancing, romance.

I'd take care of my 2 little ones, get them ready for
bed. Husband home from work, content on computer
and my good excuse to get away is ready for delivery.

I needed and wanted a break from the humdrum of
family life. So I went where the action was. A local club
with someone to greet me halfway with an umbrella so
this lady wouldnt get wet. I felt so honored. I collected
myself then ordered a drink from the bar and sashsayed
myself around the room waiting patiantly for the band to
kick in. A night of drinking, sexy dancing, a walk out to the
parking lot, ride in a car with a new found friend and never
wanting the night to end.

Man it's time for me to get home and i dont want to. Tipsy,
buzzing and Im racing home from the club because its 2 in
the morning. D@mn im late again. Ok here comes road construction,
im nervous, then oh my God im bumping and bouncing all over
the place. From what I remember im hurting and in the hospital.
Family member tell me im lucky to be alive because I hit a concrete culvert in the construction zone and im all messed up. EMS brought me in and I have no rememberence of that once in a life time experience.

That incident kept me in the hospital for 10 days with them removing my punctured spleen so i wouldnt bleed to death along with numerous broken ribs and contusions. From there I healed nicely in a few months to vow i had had enough of drinking.

But guess what? The time I wasnt drinking that tiger inside me was resting cause after that February accident came August and the urges of drinking came back in full force and one sip of alcohol awoke that tiger and out came a monster roaring, wanting to destroy me and this time it almost did as i downed pain pills and wine.

Unable to respond to my little ones call, family stepped in with an intervention calling the authorities to come pick me up and take me to rehab where I stayed for 28 days recieving the tools and knowledge of my alcoholism setting me on the path of recovery to learn and live life a day at a time without drinking.

That episode was 20 yrs ago and today I continue to live a recovery life incorperating the steps and principles in my everyday affairs. Today i live and love life with the gift of the promises stated in our BB of AA.

Today Im grateful to not have to live life as a prisoner to my addiction.

You can too.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Welcome txred, glad you decided to join us here at SR - we are happy to have you Keep reading, keep posting - we'll be here!

It is wonderful that you recognize that you have a problem, it will only get worse with time as it's progressive. Best wishes to you and good luck with your recovery. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the upcoming days

-Jess
Old 04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

First of all, welcome.

Originally Posted by txred76 View Post
ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. Glad I find this site.
Tapering to me seems a lot like lowering youself slowly into a cold pool. At no point is it ever going to get comfortable, so you jump right in. That's what I did. I was probably drinking the same amount as you on a daily basis, and more on the weekends. Decided to quit and just stopped drinking.

Of course, that was before I found this site and read about detox and withdrawals, but I didn't suffer from anything but the mounting anxiety of not getting my alcohol fix.

If you have any concerns about detox, perhaps you should talk with your doctor and under supervision, quit...don't tease yourself by trying to cut down. After all, its the inability to control one's drinking once we've started that is the mark of the alcoholic.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome txred! Glad you're here. I wish you good luck with cutting down. I never was successful at that. Post away...great support here.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group txred! I never had much luck at the taper method myself, in a day or two I would be right back to where I left off. You will find loads of information and support here, make sure to stop back often.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I tried to ween myself off the beer, but then decided to give it up... still have all sorts of urges, but I was starting to feel many of the symptoms of alcoholism daily (DTs). I hope you have success with tapering , I think many people should try that route and see if they actually quit that way.

I know this suggestion will not have the support of this forum and I would never suggest it to someone drinking much more than you, but since you are just starting to taper off, you might try a night or two with just drinking a sixer of O'doul's... they only have a tiny amount of alcohol, but will give you the taste of beer (if that is something you like.)
I feel like I was a drinker at around your level (except I'm a guy and was drinking about 4-6 more than you each night.) I am on my day11, but I ocationally drink some O'Doul's after yard work and I have one or two when I take my melatonin before sleep.
Might be worth a try, good luck either way.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Melatonin

Does the melatonin help? I started taking it, but it doesn't seem to help me get to sleep.

SORRY - I shouldn't be asking this, but I was frustrated because the lady at the pharmacy told me melatonin helps a person get to sleep if they take it 1/2 hour before bedtime.

Kelly
Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It never helped me Kelly. Ive tried it. That and valerian root. I think our tolerance 2 that stuff is higher.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks 4 all the advice and good wishes everyone. Scolova good idea about the odouls. Most girls don't like the taste of beer but I always have and actually preferred it. Might
Help. I'll look around at others posts when I get off of work.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome.

What kind of advice are you looking for? Practical advice for the first few days? What physical and emotional things to expect? Program advice?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi txred76

Welcome to SR and well done on recognising your problem with alcohol.

The problem with tapering is that it can give us the false illusion that we have some sort of control over this disease. Personally, it was all or nothing for me.
However, you might be different and able to taper off.

I would suggest though, if you are concerned about becoming sick through withdrawal, that you see your doctor.

It is also important to have a recovery plan, this ride can't be done with white knuckles

good luck and keep posting.

Sobriety is not only possible, it is a great way to live
Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome TXred

I'm not a fan of tapering - it never worked for me...I don't have control over my alcohol intake...I always over drank my quota and and it just perpetuated my situation.

Instead, I recommend seeing your doctor - they should help you with any withdrawal concerns

and not to be Derek Downer, but I also don't advise NA beer, especially if you're trying to quit.

Most brands do have a small amount of alcohol, and even the brands that don't taste like beer, smell like beer and feel like beer in my hand....admittedly I was a beer drinker, but they always led me back to real beer....

D
Old 04-19-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

hi txred.
thought i could taper off ...sometimes i could .other times no.
as someone wisely pointed out on another thread...the only winning move is not to play