Alone at Last!

Old 11-16-2003, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alone at Last!

My house is sooooo peaceful today. AH checked into residential treatment on Friday and I am so relieved. These last two weeks have been among the worst of my life.

We were supposed to go to court last Monday for a preliminary hearing on his drunk driving arrest. He walked down to the gas station to get a pack of cigarettes and didn't come back. I never thought that that actually happened but now know better!!!!!! After calling everyone he knows and telling his sad story he called his brother and asked him to pick him up and bring him home. Unfortunately, his brother did. The next morning he got up and left again, (this time to get donuts) but found his way home. We detoxed him here at home and got him into treatment.

My house is listed with a realtor at last. Tomorrow I get on the phone with the creditors and try to make some arrangements. I am going to try and find a job on the internet that I can do from home. I am going to go to Alanon meetings. I am going to put up my Christmas tree next weekend and decorate the house and enjoy it immensely. I am going to BREATHE!!!! I am going to eat what I want, sleep when I want, do what I want (as long as it doesn't cost any money!) and enjoy the month.

It would be wonderful if he can come home after a month and be on the road to recovery. He is not adjusting very well but maybe that is pretty common. Is it? He is responsible for working on himself and wanting to be healthy and sober. If he can't, well ........ it is time for me to take care of myself. I do have a plan in mind for when the house sells and I will follow it if I need to. If he works on staying clean and sober and continues to get the help he needs then so much the better but I am not counting on it.

Anyone have any comments on the attitude of people just starting a residential program? I have not been through this part before and would appreciate your input.

Thanks, Jo
Old 11-16-2003, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Jojo,

You are doing great. Enjoy your time alone!

Unfortunately I have no experience with early rehab. The first time my son was in he never told us and the second he called about half way through.

I do know about the peace when they are contained, tho. You will have time to get yourself centered.

Hugs,
JT
Old 11-16-2003, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dont have any experiences with detox either. Elvis passed Go and went directly to Jail.

It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. Youre getting your life in order but you havent written him off totally. Just relax and enjoy the calm. Its up to him now.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The first week of rehab

was wretched, horrible and awful for Spicoli every time he went in. Even though they had him on Valium to ease the withdrawal...he was a bitter, complaining mess. The subsequent weeks were always better. The last time he went through rehab (long term) he was at his best. I guess that's because he was humble enough to realize that he had finally hit bottom. One of the many reasons that Spicoli went in the last time was that his roommate found him passed out in the snow in ten degree weather. "Could have died" scenarios have a way of getting people down on their knees.
Enjoy your time to yourself, God knows you've earned it. The peace of having the house to yourself and knowing that he is somewhere getting help will do you a world of good.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 11-16-2003, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Jojo,

Oh, How lovely that would be....Having the house all to one's self, espcially knowing the A is actualy being taken care of by someone else.....(doesn't matter who, why, when.) Just knowing they are out of range of hurting anyone else sometimes is a blessing...Let alone themselves...

Don't know about detox or rehab, so far no one's been to one of those...But have had 3 nephews-in-laws, who spent time in 3 different jails because of their choices...I never had to go see them as they all were to far away from me and since they were from Himself's side of the family I never had to make the choice. Himself made it all on his own, not to go...Might have done him some good through....

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT TO THE FULLEST.