Notices

bored

Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question bored

been sober since 2/1/11 was thinking of a drink today cause i'm bored and in a slump only been to one aa meeting but know how into the drinking i was in that it wasn't healthy don't really have the urge just want to snap out of this rut sometimes i worry that if i go all anyone talks about is booze and i don't want to even hear about the stuff-confused
Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....

Well done on your sober time
Old 04-16-2011, 11:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi lookout

Welcome to SR

I'm not an AA guy, but maybe it's worth trying to find other meetings?

at least try & find something that helps you find some purpose in living sober...we all need motivation.

I used to be bored all the time when drinking. Now I don't have time to be bored.
I dunno what motivates you but I know you can find it if you want to....leave no stone unturned, lookout....

You'll find a lot of support here too..good to have you with us

D
Old 04-17-2011, 12:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That 60'sh day, give or take, seems to be a tough time for people. My first 30 were a cake walk compared to the last 7. The novelty has worn off and the reality of life is starting.

Best of luck to you. I am active in AA in spite of a job and a family. I really appreciate the fellowship and ablility to be honest - and even laugh, real laughter.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i know how you feel....

Originally Posted by lookout View Post
been sober since 2/1/11 was thinking of a drink today cause i'm bored and in a slump only been to one aa meeting but know how into the drinking i was in that it wasn't healthy don't really have the urge just want to snap out of this rut sometimes i worry that if i go all anyone talks about is booze and i don't want to even hear about the stuff-confused
that is one of the reasons that i don't go to meetings...the booze talk(or drug talk in na and ca)I most of the time....crave the stuff more when i leave...but i know that that is probably just my brain playing tricks on me and my disease rapping in my ear...i know i should start trying to go to meetings again...but i sometimes feel i'd be "jinxing myself" because i have been doing kinda ok without them. But i must say...i really learned alot from the meetings i did attend so...all in all i am really torn and i guess i don't have the best advice for ya...sorry...but in a way you have helped me today because i sometimes get the notion that my story or urges are unique.....and really we are all in the same boat...just addicts with the disire to stop no matter what reason we all have individually. so i am sorry for the rambling and i don't know if this even helped you...but it's all i got to give at this point...good luck well really can't say that either...luck really plays no part in it no matter how much we want it to...ok i will try again....really "listen" to the peeps on here that have good time under their belt....and the ones that you actually look up to or even kinda want to be or see yourself being when the fog clears for you.....and then you may feel some kind of peace that you are searching for.....
Old 04-17-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hmmmmmm. When I first started going to AA many years ago, there were some 'war stories' from others that were new like me. However, I heard more from the 'old timers' in the meetings, on SOLUTIONS to various problems that occur in recovery and how to handle them sober, boredom being one of the big ones.

It was suggested that I start coming to meetings early and help set up, that way there were only a few folks there that I could talk to, and that I should stay late and help tear down and clean up, and again only a few members stayed around.

As I got to know a few of the folks at my different meetings, I would get asked to go for coffee with them, 'the meeting after the meeting' so to speak.

Not only did the meetings, but some of the AA functions and the get togethers that folks would have sure relieved my boredom and helped me to get into the steps with my sponsor.

J M H O based on my years of living life sober.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-17-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks!!!!

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Hmmmmmm. When I first started going to AA many years ago, there were some 'war stories' from others that were new like me. However, I heard more from the 'old timers' in the meetings, on SOLUTIONS to various problems that occur in recovery and how to handle them sober, boredom being one of the big ones.

It was suggested that I start coming to meetings early and help set up, that way there were only a few folks there that I could talk to, and that I should stay late and help tear down and clean up, and again only a few members stayed around.

As I got to know a few of the folks at my different meetings, I would get asked to go for coffee with them, 'the meeting after the meeting' so to speak.

Not only did the meetings, but some of the AA functions and the get togethers that folks would have sure relieved my boredom and helped me to get into the steps with my sponsor.

J M H O based on my years of living life sober.

Love and hugs,
well said.....hope i get there at some point...but thank God i am here right now...with people like you!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I used boredom as an excuse to drink. Didn't get me anywhere except hating myself in beer bottle.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

if all you hear at a meeting is people talking about drinking go to a different meeting, a big book study or something like that. All my meetings one person MAY share something about a drinking, but the speaker or those with sobriety talk about solutions. Sometimes I feel great, but go to AA meetings and come out feeling crumby, I just chalk it up to experience. I can't encounter all great and magical people all the time. Sometimes I have to stick it out with the sick ones and offer my hand to help the best I can.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am one of those people who got intense cravings at meetings. It was not that there were "war stories." Meeting I go to forbid any of that or even mention of having cravings. But just being in a room with people who I could have used with at another time, was enough.

That and the loneliness of being in the rooms where everyone knew each other and seemed to be doing so well, just made meetings torture.

Finally, I realized that it was not enough to be in any particular program. I needed something to be clean and sober for. That is the hardest part at the beginning. You have not had time to discover your purpose. But it will come. Boredom, frustration, sadness---they are all part of normal life. But they are a bigger part of life in early sobriety.

But then, they subside. It is not easy. It is not fun. But things will change. You will eventually come to understand yourself better and then joy starts taking up more room in your life, and boredom takes up less.