Notices

Interesting night

Old 04-16-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting night

I made it through night 4. I think this is the 1st time in YEARS that I have not drank on a Friday night! While it wasn't hard to not drink, it was hard to be here with my husband. It was so strained, I went to bed at 9:30 and usually he would follow. Not last night he proceeded to stay up till 11:30 drinking alone in the kitchen. It was actually sad. He drank atleast 5-6 vodka/cran and over half a big bottle of wine before coming to bed, And I of course was WIDE AWAKE until about 1:30.
Geesh when I drink I can't hardly make it past 10:00
Crazy
I have been lucky enough to have met a Dr online, whom I found last summer researching alternatives to Rx for my anxiety and he happens to specialize in addiction and recovery, anyway, we have been "talking" and he wrote to me yesterday
"It is never easy for someone in a relationship that has been wrapped around alcohol to go forward in the relationship. For now do EXACTLY what you are doing and focus on YOU. What happens down the road is down the road so DO NOT "futurize" about what might go on."
Great advice!
Anyway, I feel great today! I get to watch my Grandson sober AND my daughters volleyball tourney with 80 teams. Might even be able to tolerate that with a smile on my face
Blessings,
Chelle
Old 04-16-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

And blessings to you.

Sounds like you got some great advice.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You and I are in so much the same place! We are having beautiful Saturday mornings. Apparently Saturday mornings are not for hangovers. They are for loving your life. I'm so sorry your husband hasn't found the way to support your progress yet. Maybe he sat there drinking and feeling bad about himself. I would try to make him feel special this morning. Tell him you want to go on this new road with him. Then dump every bottle in the house.

I am packing a box of booze for my twenty-three year old. She has her own apartment and is good about alcohol. It will save her some money--which she needs.

Hang in there and pm me if you want to talk about our very similar circumstances.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
...Then dump every bottle in the house.
This sure would not have gone over well with me when I was drinking!

I am very fortunate to live with a really supportive man who does not have a drinking problem. However, one of our friends quit drinking (and smoking!) 2 weeks ago. He says I am his inspiration. Apparently, if a lush like me can quit anybody can!

I think you got some very good advice from your doctor friend.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, I was assuming she got him to agree. Having grown up with a real, honest to God alcoholic (you know, howling in the bushes drunk) I wouldn't ever recommend making him mad. But once the agreement is made, get rid of it. My bag for my daughter is packed.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

More than anything else (other than the support here), taking it one day at a time has transformed my life. I can handle today. Infact, if I'm not preoccupied with what's in the past or future, I can actually enjoy today too!

It's got to be hard seeing your husband off by himself drinking. Since you know what it's like, you know the desire to stop has to come from within. Maybe he just needs a little time to think about it himself.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. I was just outside myself and the sky is as blue as it can get, simply gorgeous....... wouldn't have cared a bit while I was drinking.

Keep up the good work and congrats on day 4!!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with Artsoul...don't push him but you can gently pursuade him by your clarity, actions and zest for life. It must be hard for you though, knowing alcoholis so easily accessable in your home. I feel for ya.
Good advice from doc, though. I can relate since I'm separated and everyone askes "will you get back together?" I don't know...I have a life to create on my own and if he happens to fit into that life than yes. If we still have unresolved issues and I fear for the success of my recovery -then no.
Congratulations on the fourth night. Good Job.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good Job! Keep it going....it just keeps getting better!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! It wasn't hard not to drink, it was hard to relate to him while I wasn't, If that makes sense. I was rather annoyed (oops did I say that out loud)
Seriously though, I was wondering is there a difference from someone KNOWING they need to quit abusing alcohol and someone who doesn't? My husband asked me today are you never going to drink again? I said, simply, I am not saying never or ever, but I am saying not now. I am tired of feeling like crap etc etc And I asked him don't you ever think you drink too much and he responded simply, NO!
And yes, it was FABULOUS spending the day with my grandson and at the vball tournament--clear eyed and busy tailed!
Have a great night all