Letting Things Happen - Language of Letting Go

Old 04-16-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Letting Things Happen - Language of Letting Go

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Letting Things Happen

We do not have to work so hard at gaining our insights. Yes, we're learning that painful and disappointing things happen, often for a reason and a higher purpose. Yes, these things often work out for good. But we don't have to spend so much time and energy figuring out the purpose and plan for each detail of our life. That's hypervigilence!

Sometimes, the car doesn't start. Sometimes, the dishwasher breaks. Sometimes, we catch a cold. Sometimes, we run out of hot water. Sometimes, we have a bad day. While it helps to achieve acceptance and gratitude for these irritating annoyances, we don't have to process everything and figure out if it's in the scheme of things.

Solve the problem. Get the car repaired. Fix the dishwasher. Nurse yourself through the cold. Wait to take the shower until there's hot water. Nurture yourself through your bad day. Tend to your responsibilities, and don't take everything so personally!

If we need to recognize a particular insight or awareness, we will be guided in that direction. Certainly, we want to watch for patterns. But often, the big insights and the significant processing happen naturally.

We don't have to question every occurrence to see how it fits into the Plan. The Plan - the awareness, the insight, and the potential for personal growth - will reveal itself to us. Perhaps the lesson is to learn to solve our problems without always knowing their significance. Perhaps the lesson is to trust ourselves to live, and experience, life.

Today, I will let things happen without worrying about the significance of each event. I will trust that this will bring about my growth faster than running around with a microscope. I will trust my lessons to reveal themselves in their own time.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We don't have to question every occurrence to see how it fits into the Plan. The Plan - the awareness, the insight, and the potential for personal growth - will reveal itself to us. Perhaps the lesson is to learn to solve our problems without always knowing their significance. Perhaps the lesson is to trust ourselves to live, and experience, life.
I love this reading today. One of the gifts of recovery, for me, was to find that life unfolded exactly as it was supposed to unfold, and that it was all good, even when the "gift" was strangely wrapped.

Bad days made me appreciate good days. Bad experiences brought lessons that made me wiser. Obstacles in my path led me to better paths.

This isn't just recovery "hype" or "babble", it is one of the many miracles of discovery that unfolded in my sorry life and made it all worth living again, and living well.

I trust in "The Plan". I have no idea what it is, where it is going or how it will unfold. But I have faith that it will all be good and keep my life filled with interesting chapters.

Hugs
Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a planner. It's what I do. People's daily lives depend upon my ability to plan...at work. BUT my problem in the past has been to plan and plan and plan and then worry and worry and worry that I haven't planned enough or correctly. That the result will be outside of the expected.

I am learning that there is a degree of planning that has to take place but once those "plans" have been set into motion, I need to stop worrying and allow things to just happen. Worrying never changed the outcome of those plans.

Control. I've always had a problem with this issue. I have felt that if I plan WELL enough, that I have CONTROL of the outcome. And I don't. I can plan to the best of my ability but I have no control of the outcome. And that's ok.

This realization is helping me live my life. Accept outcomes even if they are different than what was "planned". And always have a Plan B.

If I sprinkle this change in thinking with laughter, my life will be a better place to be.

Thanks Ann. I always love when you share your bright and beautiful outlook on life.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-16-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, Ann.

I needed this one right about now.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. I will try to keep my microscope put away!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kindeyes, I can relate to what you say!!