Notices

Mamma needs a drink

Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mamma needs a drink

Last night was a little bit rough. I worked a full day and went to pick up my kids from their after-school program. One of them had a music lesson to get to so it was just a quick stop at home for a snack and then we were to be off again.

One of my kids seemed to be having a tough day - upset about little things and finding it hard to cope, recounting all of the negative things that happened during the day and so on and so on. I tried talking to him about not focusing on all the bad things - he had to balance it out with the good. So I asked him, what are a few things you are grateful for? He listed a few things that are the sort of general things I should be happy for (mom, dad, a house, etc. - although sweets were at the top of the list).

I didn't feel like he was getting it. So I told him it doesn't have to be a list or anything that happened to him. I gave him a few examples of things I was grateful for: the sunshine yesterday because it was nice to have a break in the rain and it made me feel happy; my Sweet Dreams tea because it gave me comfort and the heat and herbs were relaxing.

So we went to the lesson and all was fine. Came home and all was fine, and then bedtime came around and it all blew up again. He gets wound up and spirals to a place where he has a hard time calming down. I was trying to help him, but I was tired too and my patience was wearing thin.

So why post this here? This is an example of when I would have opened a bottle of wine despite the "no drinking during the week" rule. If I had a bottle open, it would have been more difficult to resist. Being a parent is hard and it makes me think of more and more articles that are out there with mom's and their alcoholic drinking. Sometimes it feels too hard to cope and instead dull the anxiety, stress, and frustration that comes with trying to bring you're children up right with alcohol. How the bottle, if only for a brief moment, also is a way to quell the guilt, fear, and insecurity that we're not doing it right or well enough.

So, I went downstairs and made myself a cup of my Sweet Dreams tea (for which I am grateful). It's nice to replace the wine glass that normally would have been on my bedside table come morning with a mug that has a string and a tag hanging over the side. And I thought of a quote from RW Emerson:

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have no doubt crept in, forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day, you shall begin it well and serenely..."

My day has started serenly, for that I am thankful.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
-New Me-

good job.

keep that sweet dreams tea around.. i really like that quote by the way..
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is so true. And it's awful that we can't use that glass of wine to get our bearings. My husband bought me a Keurig for Christmas, because he doesn't drink coffee and can't make it either, and now, as I walk in the door he hands me a fresh cup of perfect coffee. Then I fall asleep on the couch for twenty minutes.

This is instead of a glass of wine, then another, then out for dinner and drinks, then a bar...$80 minimum. Last night we ate in, drank soda, watched movies and I worked hard to embroider the eyes on a tiger quilt I've had across my dining room table for two months...what a joy!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Love that quote! And your discovery.

Sober parenting is night and day. When I'm dealing with one of my kids drama now it's about THEM. Not about me justifying yet another bender.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

After going back and reading my post, I am finding the entire situation ironic.

On one hand, I am trying to teach my son some tools to deal with emotional difficulties yet I express that I would have had a drink in order to not deal with my own. I’ve learned something new: I have the tools (or some at least) to cope that do not involve drinking I just have not been using them. Never in a million years would I ever tell my son, “Yep, all that sucks. Here, have a nice drink and then you won’t have to think about it.” That’s exactly what I have been doing for myself though! Gosh it’s so glaring, like sunshine at midnight.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by departure View Post
After going back and reading my post, I am finding the entire situation ironic.

On one hand, I am trying to teach my son some tools to deal with emotional difficulties yet I express that I would have had a drink in order to not deal with my own. I’ve learned something new: I have the tools (or some at least) to cope that do not involve drinking I just have not been using them. Never in a million years would I ever tell my son, “Yep, all that sucks. Here, have a nice drink and then you won’t have to think about it.” That’s exactly what I have been doing for myself though! Gosh it’s so glaring, like sunshine at midnight.
OMG, yes!! I've always found it ironic and hypocritical that we tell our kids (and especially our teens- man, I would NOT want to live through that time of my life again!) it's not okay to use substances to cope with our problems, yet there we sit with a drink in our hand saying "Man, that was a rough day!" Or we have to have a drink to enjoy a meal. Or to socialize. Really, we're supposed to be the adults with grownup coping skills, right?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a great post. Thanks for sharing that.

It's funny how we give our kids plenty of options on how to deal with tough circumstances but we never mention booze - when it (booze) seems to be our only solution to our problems when actively drinking. If only we followed our own advice.

Sounds like you handled it very well! Good job!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Super fantastic post thanks!

I used to think it was funny but now it makes me uncomfortable when Moms refer to wine as "mommie juice " there's even a brand labeled "Moms Time out "