help for family member of dual diagnosis

Old 04-13-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help for family member of dual diagnosis

I posted about a week ago about my mom's attempted suicide via overdose. She has bipolar illness and is a substance abuse addict. Right now, she is in an acute psychiatric unit (which is the best place for her to be). Do you guys no resources for someone like me? I was supposed to hear from her psychiatrist today, but he/she has not returned my call yet. I talk to her nurses every day. I hope to get her long-term help. This is her second suicide attempt in a few months. I realize that I am limited in what I can do for her. However, I would like to know what I can do? I live far away from her. I have been talking to her on the phone during her hospitalization. I feel bad for her because I think she has a certain lack of control over her mental illness. On the other hand, she has a mixed response to getting help for herself. Right now, she is a voluntary patient. I'm thankful for that.

Thank you.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
tam

you can ask to speak to a nurse who can go over her chart. Im sure the dr.will call soon. all you can do is ask what meds she is on and they basically will go over everything for you, some questions you can ask, for instance, is she stable? is she participating in group activities? is she up and around? is
she talking to a therapist/counselor? the counselor can also speak to you.

I hope your mom gets better ..hang in there know its difficult on you exp.living far away..
Old 04-13-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Maybe the nurses can recommend something where your mother is.

I'm keeping her in my prayers and I really hope she gets the helps she needs.

Hugs
Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. I never got a call from the psychiatrist. All I got was a call from my mom stating that she was home. She stated that she left the hospital and went to the pharmacy to pick up all her medications. She was unhappy with what the new psychiatrist (at the hospital) prescribed her, so she went to pick up meds from her old doctor. It amazes me that someone would be able to pick up all those medications after they were just released from an overdose. When I talked to the nurse last night, they told me that the nurses don't have any idea when the patient will be released or where they will go. She told me that the psychiatrist would call me this morning. She also told me that the facility wouldn't release my mom unless she was safe. I find it hard to believe that after an intentional overdose they would keep her for 5 days on the psych unit (plus 3 day on the medical floor).
Old 04-13-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found some really good information on a website for schizophrenia. (She doesn't have that, but this is helpful to any mental illness).

Schizophrenia.com, 60 Tips for Living with Schizophrenia; tips for coping, handling schizophrenia crisis and relapse situations

I loved this point (and completely agree with it):

8. Separate the person from the disorder. Love the person, even if you hate the disorder.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I assume you've checked out NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness - Mental Health Support, Education and Advocacy ....?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've looked around their site a bit. I'll have to look at it more.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

NAMI is one of my favorite groups. They have all kinds of family support in most areas of the US.