Notices

Day 1

Old 04-12-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Day 1 again. I've been back at this point so many times. It really is a curse. Quite frankly I need help. I keep attempting sobriety alone and continuously fail. I've made it 2-3 months several times in the last 2 years, but always end up falling off the wagon. Those periods of sobriety are truly bright periods in my life, so why I would turn back to this darkness is a mystery to me.

I've gone through withdrawal so many times, and I get to experience that hell all over again. It really is madness.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Icarus,

I'm on day 10 now and I've been through withdrawal about 3 times in the past 6 months so don't get down on yourself. Just do everything you can to not let it happen again. You'll find a lot of help and support here, and if you need to talk there's usually someone willing to listen in the chat room. I've noticed that in the short time I've been here.

Good luck and congrats on 1 day
Old 04-12-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cunning, baffling and all powerful. I made promises in the morning that I would break that same afternoon.

You are correct, you can't do it by yourself. You off to a good start at SoberRecovery.

What other support are you seeking?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Icarus

welcome to SR
Yeah it is madness - I always felt better when sober - but I always went back to drinking - against all logical arguments.

I found support made a huge difference...accepting that drinking was destroying me and I needed to do whatever was necessary for me to stop drinking was the other turning point.

You'll find a lot of support here - are you thinking of face to face support as well?

D
Old 04-12-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its scary as hell to come back. You should be proud of yourself!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We alkies are good at beating ourselves up...takes courage to share and quit. How awesome for you to have the willingness. Welcome and glad you are here.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, You've done it before you can do it again, stay strong and keep coming back here for support during the rough times.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome. I too took many times of trying to quit drinking before it stuck. My only advice is don't beat yourself up. The past is the past. We all stay sober just one day at a time. I know that is said over and over but it's true. I would also suggest getting some type of program for your recovery. You mentioned you can't do it alone, and neither could I. There are many programs out there and this site is a big help as well.

Hang in there!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. It means a lot to hear from people who know exactly what I'm going through.

Day 1 is definitely painful. I knew alcohol was destroying me again, and that I needed to quit once more, so of course I made last nights bender really memorable. The stupid choices you make when you are drinking. I'm just lucky I haven't killed myself yet. I have a wife, and 8 and 5 year old little girls to think about. It really should be all the reason I would need to stay sober, but I keep repeating the insanity.

As for support groups, I'll have to consider my options. Though where I live, I don't think there is much else but AA. Which I'm open minded about. And I'll keep coming here, as it looks like a great community.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome icarus.
there comes a point in one's life when enough is enough.
i know iv'e reached my point where i simply cannot go through withdrawls again.
it was soooo painful emotionally and so scary physically,that i surrender to alcohol .i simply do not have it in me to battle it one more time.
some of us will fight it to the gates of insanity or death/im one stubborn sob/but im not gonna go down that road.
a friend of mines uncle drank himself into a state where he was blind and could'nt speak,he was trapped in his body for a month before he died/he would cry when his family tried to comfort him....
alcohol...............some friend.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ulverston View Post
welcome icarus.
there comes a point in one's life when enough is enough.
i know iv'e reached my point where i simply cannot go through withdrawls again.
it was soooo painful emotionally and so scary physically,that i surrender to alcohol .i simply do not have it in me to battle it one more time.
some of us will fight it to the gates of insanity or death/im one stubborn sob/but im not gonna go down that road.
a friend of mines uncle drank himself into a state where he was blind and could'nt speak,he was trapped in his body for a month before he died/he would cry when his family tried to comfort him....
alcohol...............some friend.
That story is extremely disturbing. For that reason I'm glad you shared it. I can't imagine ending that way. It scares me as i know I'm a serious alcoholic. There's no denial. Hasn't been any for years. I'm not the kind of guy who's satisfied with a light buzz. I try to drink myself straight into the abyss. Like I'm searching for pure oblivion. If I keep it up, oblivious is exactly what I'm going to get.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome - glad you decided to join us! This is a great place to get support. I don't think anyone can stay sober on their own...... I know I couldn't. I stayed on this forum for 2 solid days when I decided to quit. I had lost all confidence in myself to win the battle with alcohol.

Things will get better...... and you can have your life back again. Take it one day at a time and keep posting/reading!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi icarus glad your with us .
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well Day 2 is here. I feel like walking death today, but that's to be expected. Trust me I know everything that is to be expected with withdrawal. What's that old line by Mark Twain about quitting smoking? "Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it 100's of times." Well I would prefer to not go through this 100's of times. Here's to reason winning over madness. (Yes, that's a non-alcoholic toast).
Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welome Icarus! I hope you find each day to get a little bit better.

Here's to you (raising my tea)!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hang in there Icarus10. As you know, try to get plenty of rest, lots of water, lots of showers or baths, fruits and vegetables... I hope the withdrawals don't last too long. They can be brutal.

Hope you are taking the time to think about your recovery plan -- I think one of the keys is to work your program each and everyday and not get complacent.

I wish you the very best, and take care and keep posting and letting us know how you are doing. We all care Icarus10 -- you can do this.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Icarus! It is madness but I know we can beat this thing eventually.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Krang.

As for your avatar, is that a hungover Garfield? Or is it like a dry drunk Garfield, who's really pissed that he has coffee instead of booze?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ItWillBeWorthIt View Post
Hang in there Icarus10. As you know, try to get plenty of rest, lots of water, lots of showers or baths, fruits and vegetables... I hope the withdrawals don't last too long. They can be brutal.

Hope you are taking the time to think about your recovery plan -- I think one of the keys is to work your program each and everyday and not get complacent.

I wish you the very best, and take care and keep posting and letting us know how you are doing. We all care Icarus10 -- you can do this.
I'm hangin in there. Trust me I'm eating plenty of fruits and vegetables. I make feel terrible, but I'm extremely regular right now.

I'm going to be thinking of my long term recovery plan for sure.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Im new to this and I have fallen off the wagon after 3 weeks sober and Im three days drinking again and trying to get back on the wagon. I totally relate to you and am finding it very very hard to beat this disease the meetings do help but my god this is hard!!!!!!!!!!!!