Notices

Drinking dreams

Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams

I know that drinking dreams are common in early sobriety, but I thought it interesting last night that I had a dream that I was in a bar and ordered club soda with a wedge of lime. Maybe that means I'm healing, since last week I had dreams about Manhattans and dessert wine. I just thought it was interesting. Today is sober day #29 for me.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I kinda like the drinking dreams cos when I wake up in a panic the sense of relief is fantastic and also it makes me realise how much I want to get sober.

Envious of your day 29! Well done
Old 04-12-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool dream!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know what's worse than a drinking dream? Waking up from a three hour pass out and knowing you have to work and ... well ... you have done it again. Opening your eyes and looking around ... trying to assess the damage ... trying to remember what happened ... it's like getting hit by a truck!

How long before I wake up and don't assume a hangover?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on 29 days theatredork!

Missy - Yeah, waking up hungover is worse than the dreams.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still have vivid drinking dreams halfway through my second year. I'm always glad that they turn out just to have been dreams. I see them as random flashbacks, they don't particularly bother me. Day to day, my obsession is gone. But I still get the dreams from time to time.

Oddly, I can still get physical flashbacks at times to drinking. I think I can smell alcohol, or I have a taste in my mouth like alcohol. I have no idea what causes it - I can be feeling fine, not thinking about anything related to drinking. Then, sudden flashback.

Congrats on completing your first month and they say that dreams can be symbols so maybe it is of your sobriety, an interesting twist.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grievous Angel

I dream of Manhattans, Old Fashioneds; I love the smell of cigarettes. My grandfather always smelled of bourbon and cigarettes, everyone I loved as a child did. When I kissed the man who would become my husband for the first time, I could taste whiskey on his lips. He shared a cigarette. Times, and I, have changed for the better, but I for one miss cocktail parties and smoke-filled rooms. Albums on the record player, heavy glass ashtrays, a Martini shaker. I have a cabinet downstairs where I keep them, waiting for a party that never quite starts, guests that are late, ice melting.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

One of the worst for me were dreams of waking up and drinking cool water from the bottle next to my bed, only to wake up later hungover and my mouth and throat feeling like a desert and no water on the night stand.

I also use to dream of smoking weed many months after I had quit, I would always wake up and look around for it, as though I had smoked and dropped the roach on the floor or in the bed.

And congrats on your month theatredork.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Exclamation

Unfortunatley still living the "dream". But Growing everyday on this site!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

5 months sober and I'm still having the dreams. I dreamed last night that I ordered and drank a beer. Didn't really like the taste. Thought about getting another but couldn't stomach the thought of the taste even after ruining 6 months sobriety.

I've always thought that I loved the taste of beer. That's ********, I love the taste of Pepsi but I don't drink a case of them at a time. I drink for the effect.