Just Curious

Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Curious

How many of the SR members are on Facebook and if you are, do you have any of your SR friends on there?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm on facebook. I just signed up here though a couple days ago, so I don't really know anyone yet to add them on facebook.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is a great question.

I feel really safe with the anonymity here.

I am not sure how I would feel about that.
My alanon sponsor and I run in different circles that sometimes overlap.
We act like we do not know each other otherwise, and she is my FB friend....

Good question.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I use facebook to connect to my kids and
friends in recovery. Also golf, tattoos and
motorcycles.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I'm on fb but no one from here has added me as a friend. As long as they don't blast crap about my drinking on my wall I don't care
Old 04-11-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on FB too but don't know anyone on here by your real names so we're not "friends" on FB as far as I know...
Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess I was asking because after being on SR for 2 1/2 years I wouldn't mind friending someone from SR as long as they didn't post anything on my Wall about my SR threads.

It would be nice way to actually meet the people you have been chatting with as long as they respect your anominty (sp) about your A and the situation and do not post on FB about it.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

im new here .
cant seem to post
Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi im new to this forum.
ive struggled with the drink for 15 yrs.
the roller coaster ride we have been on is insane
been in aa for 6 yrs .know the bb pretty well iv'e even been booked.
but still that strange mental blank spot gets me every time ther's trouble in my life.
done all my 12 steps always had GODin my life ,and yet i still struggle.
i can go months without a drink and be around ppl who drink and it dosn't bother me ,and then wham outta the blue .i figure ive earned the right or i deserve it/i work hard....
then a week of binge drinking and my world is in tatters.
talk about cunning baffling and powerfull
Old 04-11-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
I'm on FB too but don't know anyone on here by your real names so we're not "friends" on FB as far as I know...
:ditto:
Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ulverston - I think your post would receive replies in the Alcoholism forum. The Friends and Family is more for those of us that live with someone with the disease.

WELCOME to SR!! It is a great site!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to be on FB, but deleted my account 3-4 months ago. I came to realize that people from my past, were in my past for a good reason!!! LOL!

It was amazing all the drama and unhealthy crap my girlfriends from HS were doing... well, maybe sad is a more appropriate than amazing (considering we're in our late 30s now!)

Anyways, I deleted the account because I didn't really get anything positive from the experience and found that my time was better spent having "real" connections with friends/family... and coming here to get guidance and help from people who truly understand me.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

I actually considered starting a Facebook account recently (first time I ever seriously considered it), but if I joined my mother would be offended if she wasn't on my friends list... And she'd constantly check up on what I was doing... And it is not healthy for my sanity that she know, because she'd object to most of it...
So I wouldn't actually put anything on there, and then what's the point of having it?

So no Facebook for me.
That's a whole can of worms that I don't want to open.
But if I did have one, I'd feel comfortable adding certain people from this forum as friends, because aside from reconnecting with my two best friends from growing up (one high school, one college), my old friends are my recovery friends.

I just feel more comfortable being me around the two people were already know me from all the traumas growing up, or people who are going through the same sort of life change that I am.
I don't trust anyone else to understand me right now, and right now I'm okay with that.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have a few friends from AA as friends on FB but thats the exception, not the rule. Too many not-quite-real-friend-friendships on FB imo, which would threaten anonymity.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Like Getting By, I killed my Facebook for most of her reasons. That said, it would also pierce the veil of anonymity, and allow for accidental references to recovery. I'd think long and hard before connecting to somebody I know from the program.

Take care,

Cyranoak
Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love facebook and I'm the odd man out I guess. There isn't really any drama at all on there for me (well - minus a couple teenagers).

I think it is great that I can keep in touch with people from my past. I have quite a few on-line friends from other message boards on there. I would hope that someone wouldn't share some private details on there that I posted here. That would be bad. Recovery in general comments is not something I would encourage but I wouldn't freak out if that happened.

I know how to hide and block and I'm not afraid to use them :funny:
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm on FB-most of my friends there are from my hometown - mostly old school friends along with family in the UK.

Like someone here said-I like the anonymity here on SR-we are all friends here and with anonymity, can open our hearts and say things that we can't anywhere else (other than an Al-Anon meeting).

FB caused no end of issues between EXABF and I-he always felt that I had "too many friends" of the male variety and I gave up trying to tell him that yes, I have male friends, most are married or in relationships, we all went to school together. But, that's a whole other story.....

I keep my page locked down, only accessible to friends I know, I play no "social games" there, just use it to keep in contact with friends/family.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My facebook friends are all people who I know personally through out my life. I have added friends of friends who I've never met but not random folks. I guess if a good friendship came out of SR for me then I'd have no problem adding them.

I don't put much personal info on Facebook, (like photos of my son or life). I keep it as private as I can, it is more of a communication/time wasting tool with buddies/family.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am who I am and I can't change that. You
accept me as I am or not. I am here on Earth
for a reason and that reason is to share my own
experiences, strengths and hope with others
that still suffer with addiction.

Addiction is real and it's deadly if not addressed.
If I remained anonymous to the world then how
will I get the message of hope out.

I am that hope and humbly grateful for it.

I COULD, WOULD, AND SHOULD be dead by now,
however Im not thanks to a recovery program known
as Alcoholics Anonymous and incorperating that program
in my everyday affairs.

Today I live a HAPPY JOYOUS and FREE life with help and
guidance from Above. His will be done and not mine under
His care and protection.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have a few here on both, a few from AA, comes to a fair amount percentage wise.

I don't really have anyone on there from my drinking past, and have used the 'block' feature fairly extensively. I don't really concern myself so much with my own anonymity but I try to be pretty careful with the anonymity of others, another good reason for the 'block' feature. Pity they don't have the block thing here.