Notices

6 Days Sober - Is This Normal

Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 Days Sober - Is This Normal

Hi All,

I am 6 days sober today and am wondering if I can some insight from others. The first couple of days were the normal shakes, etc. but I made it through. 3rd and 4th day I felt just absolutely exhausted like I couldn't even keep my eyes open. Yesterday (Day 5) I felt really pretty good. A little tired but got alot done and then today I feel worse (tiredness wise) than I did earlier in the week. Is this to be expected and how long can I expect it to last? I also suffer from Panic Disorder so I have been ultra paranoid about seizures by quitting after almost a year of daily drinking. I have been monitoring my pulse and blood pressure and they have been fine. Am I pretty safe to think that the seizure threat is over after almost a week?

Thanks for this fantastic forum. This is my first time posting.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

We cannot give medical advice because there are too many
variables to be considered.
Please check with your doctor about such matters.

I can tell you that being tired is not at all unusual.
I found eating healthy...walking daily...drinking .
LOTS OF water ..taking a daily multi vitamin
all were useful for me in early sobriety....

Congratulations on your sober time
Welcome...
Old 04-10-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Urban Cowgirl!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

UC,

Welcome! There are many posts here with info on early recovery - click on "forums" in the upper left corner of the page, then scroll down to "alcoholism information" - near the top of that pages are "stickies" (permanent posts) that have lots of info.

Re seizures - that's a medical question & for good reason medical questions are not allowed to be answered. You need to consult a medical professional for that. One recomendation for more info: get the book "under the Influence" - there are excerpts in the forum mentioned above. Its got tons of information about whats happened/going on in your body through drinking and the recovery process. If you're near a major bookstore, they prob have it - I got mine (paperback) for $8 new, worth every penny.

Good work so far, keep it up - and don't forget to read that forum and keep posting.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats!

Obviously no medical advice....sorry but I was physically exhausted for some time in early sobriety.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey i'm on my 8th day sober and I'm still experiencing some noticeable symptoms though they seem to get better every day. . . I expect as long as you just eat a buncha and get some exercise you'll continue to improve as time goes by. Who's to say what's normal i'm fairly sure everyone experiences things differently, or at least illustrates how they feel differently.

I'm kinda jealous you haven't mentioned insomnia, I haven't been able to sleep well at all for the past week
Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome UrbanCowgirl1, I had about of week of being really tired during my earlier days, for me it lasted about a week. Great job on the 6 days!!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again UrbanCowgirl

I think, if you're worried about seizures the best thing to do is go and get yourself checked out by a professional - that way you can put your mind to rest.

Carol's right - there are too many variables involved, and even if it wasn't against the rules, none of us are qualified to give medical advice to you.

I hope you'll feel better soon
D
Old 04-10-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Urbancowgirl and welcome still early days for me but in the beginning I was exhausted but I had severe insomnia my sleeping has settled down now and I am just starting to feel human again .
Old 04-10-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome! For me, the tiredness seemed to go on for a long time, but it did get a little better each day. Eventually I had a lot more energy than I had while drinking. You'll get there......

Congratulations on 6 days!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Im still tired ...under one month now ...oh hang on .....one month yesterday ..

I get up every morning at 545 and go for a walk...it really helps

L
Old 04-11-2011, 03:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Urban Cowgirl! Welcome!! I actually posted that same question on here awhile ago (about the tiredness.) For me, the first 4 or 5 days after quitting drinking I had severe insomnia and then the next 2 weeks I was so tired I could barely stay awake! I have a 7-year-old son and he was on spring break so he was here all day. I remember trying to stay awake with him but if I even laid down for a second, I was out. I just tried to let myself sleep as much as I could. When my husband came home, I went to bed. It lasted a couple of weeks and then I started feeling better....now I feel better than I have in years!! It's amazing how much alcohol affects everything about your body and even your mood-- I've been so happy lately! So hang in there...this too shall pass.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am actually sleeping halfway decent at night but still exhausted during the day. I have a bit more energy today than yesterday (but it's not even noon yet, so we'll see.) I got up this morning and refused to give in to it and be productive today. I refuse to lay around and let depression set it.

Thanks To You and Everyone BTW... This forum is fantastic!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to recovery!

I felt fit as a fiddle in my early days, that helped me to go on and on, its different for everyone but it will get better, you will find out as time goes by xx
Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

congrats on your first week...I think your energy level will improve day by day, but it might be a good idea for you to tell your doctor what is going on and he would order a thorough blood workup (with another follow-up about 90 days into sobriety for comparison if needed).

it will give you clarity and hopefully peace of mind...also if you are taking any anti-seizure meds, he needs to know how much you were drinking as they might need to be adjusted or tapered.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm also reallyl tired, will be 2 weeks tomorrow. I have been drinking more coffee than usual and not enough water...upping the water today...
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UrbanCowgirl1 View Post
I got up this morning and refused to give in to it and be productive today. I refuse to lay around and let depression set it.
Good for you UCG! Have a great day...
Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Genjen View Post
I'm also reallyl tired, will be 2 weeks tomorrow. I have been drinking more coffee than usual and not enough water...upping the water today...
i *think* coffee can act as a diuretic too....(i drink about 6 16 ounce mugs every am)...and being dehydrated can make you feel "off" and give you a headache.